Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Please don't pull into the right lane at a light if you are going straight...

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Please don't pull into the right lane at a light if you are going straight...

Old 01-09-08, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by deadlax
It has nothing to do with time. I can arrive to work at a reasonable time and leave when the work is finished. But it does have to do with common courtesy. At an intersection where a large percentage (~40%) of the travelers turn right, and there is a dedicated left turn lane along with two lanes for normal traffic, be courteous to others and don't pull from 2nd in line so you can be first in a line that inconveniences 40 drivers behind you.

It's called common courtesy and awareness for fellow drivers. Some people have it, others don't. I hope there's a special place in hell for people that have no problem inconveniencing others for 3 minutes for 3 seconds of their time.
If there is 40% right turn traffic (highly doubtful) then they should indeed have a right turn lane. Granted, that isn't always possible due to right of way constraints, but I've never seen a right turn volume that high... and as a traffic engineer I've seen a lot of intersection counts.

I doubt the person was thinking "here comes someone turning right, I'm going to inconvenience him!" More likely it was "that lane is empty! Sweet!" then makes the move, "oh shit! I didn't see that guy!" But I don't know... and neither do you.

We all make mistakes, and we are all inconsiderate drivers at one point or another. Deal with it.
Old 01-09-08, 09:58 AM
wiz

Just make sure it's legal for you to turn right on red there....there could be a camera at the intersection that'll hit you up with a ticket.
Old 01-09-08, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i don't understand... isn't everything you guys/gals discussing all have the "me first" mentality? for me, driving is all about surviving... sometimes i saw people yelling on top of their lungs for stupid little things and just minutes later, boom, car accident. Do i get satisfaction out of it? Maybe, but i really hope all the drivers out there take a deep breath and realize that a moving vehicle is dangerous, just take it easy and be glad that there are good drivers (yes, even better than you) out there looking after you

i always get blamed for the last to arrive when a group of us leave by cars at the same (i'm not late, just slower), but you know what? For me it's safety, not that i don't value time, but i value my life, my family members' lives and as well as lives other people more that just few minutes earlier to the destination. If you have to rush, try to allow more time (always always take consideration of possible traffic!).
Old 01-09-08, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You're not smarter than the whole world, and the whole world is not here for your convenience. It is presumptuous and more that a little ignorant to assume that all the drivers around you are stupid and don't have a valid reason for being in the lane they do.

This reminds me of the drivers who get mad at the gas station because you're not using the right pump to make it convenient for them. Of course, they weren't there when you pulled in, and don't have a clue what the pattern was then.
Old 01-09-08, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by VinVega
Sounds like the intersection in question needs a dedicated right turning lane if there is really that much right turn traffic. If I'm going straight in a lane that allows both straight and right turns, I have every right to be there as the right turn people. Suck it up and wait or get mad at your county for not providing the proper kind of lane structure at the intersection. Don't get mad at the straight drivers who are perfectly within the law.
Exactly. If there are 40% of the drivers on that street turning right (and I'm sure that's a gross exaggeration) then something needs to be done to fix the infrastructure. It's silly to expect the majority to move out of your way because you don't like being inconvenienced. By your rules the left lane would be always clogged and backed up while the right lane would move quickly (but only to the right).

You personally may know that that particular intersection has a right turn rating factor (RTRF) of 40.0 but that doesn't mean everyone else does. In order to follow your road standard we should either NEVER drive in the right lane because we would never know the RTRF or come up with a system.

We should post signs at every intersection letting all drivers know the RTRF and perhaps make up a new set of rules. 30+ Means NEVER EVER drive in the right lane unless you are turning at the next intersection. 22.5 - 25 Only if you have to go to the bathroom (22.5 for pee, 25 for a deuce), 15 if you can prove you are late for work (17.5 if your boss is an asshole), etc.

Since traffic conditions change the sign should be digital and reflect the current RTRF as calculated by computer.
Old 01-09-08, 10:18 AM

You ruin it for everyone behind you who actually wants to turn right. Thank you.
I would agree here, but if the left lane has tons of cars, and the right lane specifically allows straight traffic, then I am going to get in the right lane, not my fault if I am just following the law.
Old 01-09-08, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by adamblast
You're not smarter than the whole world,
Old 01-09-08, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 67 Likes on 38 Posts
I never questioned the laws or someone's "rights." I brought up the notions of consideration and respect. Things that seem to be completely lost in (stolen from the blog thread) the "entitlement" generation (which I am begrudgingly a part of).
There are four stoplights within about a mile before I get to my house. The last intersection is a four-way stop, then I need to take an immediate right to drive down my street.

At some point in that mile stretch, I need to get in the right lane. So at one of those intersections, I'm probably going to get in front of someone who wants to turn right. Especially if the lane is empty, because then I don't have to wait for the three cars in front of me in the left lane to go through the next intersection...and the next...and the next.

Anyway, point being - I have every right to either turn or go straight. It's not about entitlement, it's about the rules of the road.

There are plenty of rules that people break (right of way, I'm looking at you!) that are worth getting upset about. But since no one is actually doing anything wrong here, it's a waste to get upset about it.

Last edited by Draven; 01-09-08 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-09-08, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Why do so many people begrudge that minute or so at the light? Is the place you are going not going to be there if you don't hurry?

Chill out, dude. Listen to your music.
Old 01-09-08, 10:40 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
It's called common courtesy and awareness for fellow drivers. Some people have it, others don't. I hope there's a special place in hell for people that have no problem inconveniencing others for 3 minutes for 3 seconds of their time.
Common courtesy has nothing to do with it. What if the left lane is backed up? Why should I languish there leaving the right lane open for people turning? Their time isn't more or less important than mine.

This would be like me demanding that you don't right turn if I'm behind you wanting to go straight. After all, that requires you to slow down or even stop, delaying ME.
Old 01-09-08, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

when you pull up to the light, how do you know that there will be 40 cars behind you that all want to turn right anyway? I drive where I want and follow the signs posted.
Old 01-09-08, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Lunatikk
when you pull up to the light, how do you know that there will be 40 cars behind you that all want to turn right anyway? I drive where I want and follow the signs posted.
You inconsiderate bastard.
Old 01-09-08, 11:15 AM
Banned

I always feel bad when I'm first in the right lane and there's someone with a blinker on behind me. I usually try to inch up to see if they can squeeze behind me. Even if they can't, it makes me feel better that I tried.

Unless there's an intersection light. Then they're stuck behind me.
Old 01-09-08, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You ruin it for everyone behind you who actually wants to turn right. Thank you.
I agree, but people are stupid, there's no use fighting it.
Old 01-09-08, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Sorry, unless the right lane if right turn only, I'll still occupy the right lane if it is the shortest.
Old 01-09-08, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So lets hear form the people who go to the shortest line and then tell others to be patient...hypocritical much?

No desire to convenience others? Interesting society we have devolved into.
Old 01-09-08, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's life!
Old 01-09-08, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Could everyone stay off the road between 10:30-11:00am Friday morning? I have a doctors appointment and don't want to be late. Thanks.
Old 01-09-08, 12:11 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by NORML54601
I agree, but people are stupid, there's no use fighting it.
What's stupid about it? The right lane is not designated as a perpetual "turn only" lane.
Old 01-09-08, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As I am teaching my daughter to drive I tell her that courtesy and observation are not limited to the front and sides. Your signal does not give right of way, it only signals intention. Although there are certainly exceptions I try and get to the left or at least move up far enough that someone behind me can get around to make their turn. Admittedly there will be times when there are too many cars for this to work however in most suburbs at most times day it should be fine. I'm a little surprised at the people who think it's no big deal to block the road. It's only a few minutes they say. Well it doesn't take that much effort to be aware. If you are one of those people; don't you dare be mad at anyone blocking your way the next time you're in a hurry or late to somewhere.
Old 01-09-08, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JimRochester
If you are one of those people; don't you dare be mad at anyone blocking your way the next time you're in a hurry or late to somewhere.
I can honestly say I've never gotten upset at someone who was obeying the rules of the road, no matter how much that might inconvenience me.
Old 01-09-08, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
What's stupid about it? The right lane is not designated as a perpetual "turn only" lane.
That's not the point of his post. He doesn't say "stay out of there forever and ever, it's only for right turners."

It's amazing how many people see this as "it's my right, so I can do it."
Old 01-09-08, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by VinVega
Sounds like the intersection in question needs a dedicated right turning lane if there is really that much right turn traffic. If I'm going straight in a lane that allows both straight and right turns, I have every right to be there as the right turn people. Suck it up and wait or get mad at your county for not providing the proper kind of lane structure at the intersection. Don't get mad at the straight drivers who are perfectly within the law.
Old 01-09-08, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Ocelot
i don't understand... isn't everything you guys/gals discussing all have the "me first" mentality?
I agree with Ocelot (oh my gosh... ). The OP is complaining about a guy inconveniencing him for a couple of minutes from getting where he is going faster. The guy that pulled in front of him did so so that he could get where he was going faster. No accident occurred, and it didn't seem like one was close to occurring. No laws were broken.

This "common courtesy" thing seems like the only offense here, and I'm sure this kind of thing never happened in the previous generations, before we got all caught up in the selfishness of the current "me-first" generation.
Old 01-09-08, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If I happen to be in this right lane up front, I always crowd the left side of the lane to make enough room for anyone behind me to fit between me and the curb so they can turn right while I wait up front at the light.

Why? Because I'm a considerate gentleman and a scholar.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.