Reload this Page >

Anyone have to do self-reviews at work?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 01-03-08, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At my job it's review time, and we have to fill out a review, as will the boss, then we go over them together. Part of the review is to tell him what we expect for a raise. I don't want to ask for too little, but I don't want to ask for so much that I look like an idiot. I've only been at this job about 9.5 months. Any advise?
Old 01-03-08, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Give yourself an 'A'. Never smarten up a chump.

cheers,

-the Jesus
Old 01-03-08, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's been my experience that no matter what you put down, they're going to give you what they're going to give you. Don't put too much time into it.
Old 01-03-08, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
It's been my experience that no matter what you put down, they're going to give you what they're going to give you. Don't put too much time into it.
That's what I've been thinking. I may just put down 5%.
Old 01-03-08, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts
"I'm good but my boss sucks ass"
Old 01-03-08, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ask for 40%.
Old 01-03-08, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The can give you a 12% raise, but you first have to ask for a 15% one.
Old 01-04-08, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
I had a naval officer as my rater for my second NCOER. He told me to write my own review and I was like "WTF?". Thankfully this being a joint duty there were plenty of army officers to set him straight and it didn't end up being turned in too late.

That said it's a flat 3.5% raise across the board for my job.
Old 01-04-08, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would love the opportunity to write my own review and state my % increase in salary

That would be the biggest pile of bullshit I have ever written in my life. I would be the best employee in the world and ask for a 25% raise.

Make youself out to the hardest working employee ever and explain why you deserve such a raise. You could have so much fun with that, unless of course, you suck as an employee
Old 01-04-08, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ESUguy
At my job it's review time, and we have to fill out a review, as will the boss, then we go over them together. Part of the review is to tell him what we expect for a raise. I don't want to ask for too little, but I don't want to ask for so much that I look like an idiot. I've only been at this job about 9.5 months. Any advise?
Yes. Proofread your self-evaluation.
Old 01-04-08, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by 4KRG
I would love the opportunity to write my own review and state my % increase in salary

That would be the biggest pile of bullshit I have ever written in my life. I would be the best employee in the world and ask for a 25% raise.

Make youself out to the hardest working employee ever and explain why you deserve such a raise. You could have so much fun with that, unless of course, you suck as an employee
By the way, my boss is also doing an evaluation of me, and we compare notes. Both go into my file. I don't get to give myself a raise. Hell, they probably already know what raise I'm getting.
Old 01-04-08, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by TheMadMonk
The can give you a 12% raise, but you first have to ask for a 15% one.

Dunder Mifflin is probably the only company that will do that
Old 01-04-08, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ESUguy
By the way, my boss is also doing an evaluation of me, and we compare notes. Both go into my file. I don't get to give myself a raise. Hell, they probably already know what raise I'm getting.
Certainly and I would expect that, but you need to pump yourself up in your review and then explain to your boss why you are right in your own assesment and these are all the things that your boss doesn't recognize or appreciate in you.

Ham it up, have some fun with it, the worst they can tell you is that your own impression of yourself is wrong
Old 01-04-08, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I do, and it's the most retarded thing....if the supervisor doesn't agree with you, it's just one more thing to piss you off...
Old 01-05-08, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 246 Likes on 135 Posts
I had to do that at my previous job.

The way it worked was there were 3 bubbles (poor, average and excellent) for 10 different subjects. If you gave yourself anything other than average in a topic, you had to justify it, so I gave myself and "Average" on everything and turned it in.

My manager told me that wasn't the point and told me to redo it. So I gave myself a "poor" on about 6 of the subjects and totally ripped into my work.
Old 01-05-08, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
We have to email the boss with what we think we accomplished over the year. He couples that with what he has observed, and figures out what kind of raise we should get.
Old 01-05-08, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I do but it's straight forward just list my projects/assignemnts from the year and let management do the rest.