Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Who eats these horrible cold cuts??

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 01-03-08, 12:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I'm home sick the past two days with a stomach bug. Right now I should be sleeping but I really can't. Modern Marvels came on the History Channel, and it's Cold Cuts this time around. Part of me thought I really shouldn't watch it, as it won't help my condition much at all, but alas I had to.

They just went through the makings of bologna, salami, headcheese, liverwurst and olive loaf.

A question came to mind. Who eats headcheese, liverwurst or olive loaf? Or blood sausage for that matter? The mere thought of them just disgusts me, and even though I now know that bologna is mostly made of mechanically separated chicken, I'll still eat it.

*shudder*
Old 01-03-08, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Headcheese?!?
Old 01-03-08, 12:36 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it is part of a group of foods that older generations ate a lot of, brought over from the old country, handed down, etc. Many of these foods have been falling out of style.

Being part of the older crowd, when I was a kid, I can tell you that olive loaf, liverwurst, etc were common and people actually seemed to like them.
Old 01-03-08, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Kittydreamer
Headcheese?!?

The above image link (thanks Google!) led me to find that there's an actual site out there called Ask The Meat Man!
Old 01-03-08, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 01-03-08, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I grew up on liverwurst sandwiches. My grandparents from Alabama referred to them as "Goose Liver" sandwiches. They're actually pretty tasty.
Old 01-03-08, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 90 Likes on 46 Posts
I never had liverwurst before I worked at a liquor/deli. I tried the liverwurst, and honestly it's pretty good. It has a strong smell that turns some people off, but I would give it a shot. I have never had headcheese or olive loaf that I can recall. Bologna is also good.
Old 01-03-08, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Modern Marvels is really reaching for topics nowadays. Modern Marvels: Dirt was a good one.
Old 01-03-08, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Kittydreamer
Headcheese?!?
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Head cheese or brawn is in fact not a cheese, but rather a terrine of meat from the head of a calf or pig (sometimes a sheep or cow). It may also include meat from the feet and heart. It is usually eaten cold or at room temperature as a luncheon meat. It is sometimes also known as soucemeat, particularly if pickled with vinegar.

Historically the cleaned (all organs removed) head was simmered to produce a gelatin (formed from the collagen in the bone) containing any incidental meat which came off the head. The more modern method involves adding gelatin to meat, which is then cooked in a mould.
Old 01-03-08, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Lounging on the beach in L.A., frappucino in hand...

Yeah um. Thanks for the info, I'll be passing on the head cheese.
Old 01-03-08, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by shoppingbear

Yeah um. Thanks for the info, I'll be passing on the head cheese.
When they were discussing that one, they tried to make it sound appealing I guess by saying it was an "exotic" cold cut, with a "more chewy, thicker mouthfeel than many other cold cuts." No effing thank you.
Old 01-03-08, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts
I thought head cheese was smegma.
Old 01-03-08, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 138 Likes on 101 Posts
It's like sweetbreads. The shit in those makes me want to puke.
Old 01-03-08, 02:04 AM

Um, I don't wanna ruin it for you guys, but I'm pretty sure some of the Vietnamese Banh Mi (Vietnamese sub with the french bread) uses headcheese.

At least the one I go to has it, I just don't think about it when I eat, plus it's so damn tasty with what I think is either melted margerine or butter on it with the rest of the funny cold cuts.
Old 01-03-08, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by look4sheep
I'm pretty sure some of the Vietnamese Banh Mi uses headcheese.
I just don't think about it when I eat, plus it's so damn tasty with what I think is either melted margerine or butter on it with the rest of the funny cold cuts.
Old 01-03-08, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts
Olive loaf is da bomb! Ya hear? da BOMB!
Old 01-03-08, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Yeah, no thanks. I'll stick with my turkey slices.
Old 01-03-08, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts
Mmmmm... liverwurst! A crusty roll, butter, mustard, and a slice of liverwurst is heaven in your hand.
Old 01-03-08, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The other day I was watching "How It's Made" on science channel. The topic du jour was how bacon is made. Opening shot was of a dump truck rolling up to a hopper, and unloading a literal ton of pig bellies. Hairy, fatty, stinking. Then today, i was watching BBC America's "You Are What You Eat", and they showed the ingredients of hot dogs and sausage: pig snouts and ears, intestines, connective tissue, and whatever else isn't made into chops and ham. A most vile set of shows. I have given up eating hot dogs, sausage, bacon, and pepperoni. The Jewish people are wise for not eating pig.
Old 01-03-08, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Deftones
It's like sweetbreads. The shit in those makes me want to puke.

But at least the name sweetbreads conjures up a mental picture of cinnamon rolls, all gooey with icing.
Old 01-03-08, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by E. Honda
The other day I was watching "How It's Made" on science channel. The topic du jour was how bacon is made. Opening shot was of a dump truck rolling up to a hopper, and unloading a literal ton of pig bellies. Hairy, fatty, stinking. Then today, i was watching BBC America's "You Are What You Eat", and they showed the ingredients of hot dogs and sausage: pig snouts and ears, intestines, connective tissue, and whatever else isn't made into chops and ham. A most vile set of shows. I have given up eating hot dogs, sausage, bacon, and pepperoni. The Jewish people are wise for not eating pig.
the Jewish not eating pig thing is going out of style with a lot of them along with not eating shrimp and other no no foods.

stupid tradition going back thousands of years, most likely to times before Judaism.
Old 01-03-08, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Why would you give up bacon because they put odds and ends in hot dogs?
Old 01-03-08, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts
Stupid tradition = elaborate set of food guidelines to prevent sickness and death due to food spoilage or parasites established in an age long before modern food preservation techniques...
Old 01-03-08, 09:42 AM

Being Polish, I grew up with a lot of these things as a kid.

Liverwurst - delicious, it's basically paté.
Headcheese - never tried it as described although my Grandmother makes a simlar Polish dish which is pickled pigs feet in gelatin served with vinegar. Never tried it, never will.
Olive loaf is just bologna with green olives isnt it? Olives are yummy.
Blood sausage - I think in Polish this is Kieshka. I think I've had it a few times.
Old 01-03-08, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I saw that show last night, too.

My grandmother (dad's mother) used to make her own head cheese. Her parents were Norwegian, and she grew up on a farm and a lumber camp in northern Michigan. My mom and dad both love that stuff. My mom's mom used to make souse, which I think is the same thing. I have always refused to eat it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.