19.09%
Good!
30.91%
Eh...
24.55%
Is it 2008 yet?
25.45%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

So was this a good year or a bad year for you?

Old 12-26-07, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So was this a good year or a bad year for you?

As the days count down, we can look back and reflect on all the things we've gone through and try and sum up our experience as succinctly as possible. Shitty? Great? If you wanna talk about while, or sum up your year in a paragraph or two, feel free.

Personally, this year has had it's ups and downs, but it's ending on a good enough note. On a scale of -100 to 100, I'd say I'm at about a 15 to 20ish. Getting good grades, enjoying my classes, dating a wonderful gal, got a kick ass new sound system... Downsides, lost my job, money is steady but tight, and my car is making funny noises.

How was your year?
Old 12-26-07, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk God

Probably a 50 which is pretty fantastic. Last year was better, but I still put money in the bank, everyone is healthy, etc.
Old 12-26-07, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Coming off 2006, this was a great year. In 2006, I lost my grandma and my wife lost her grandpa, aunt, and mom all within a few months. 2007 was pretty steady but in a good way. We both got little raises at work, the kids are happy and healthy...I can only hope for 2008 to continue the same.
Old 12-26-07, 12:29 AM
Super Moderator

Everyone has their health, business doubled in size and we became the market leader. Traveled a bit and did some cool stuff. Had a trip of a lifetime in UK in September. Went to Superbowl 2007 for the celebrity race. Went to Formula 1 in Indy. Went to Champcar races in Surfers Paradise in Australia. Went to Goodwood Revival in UK. Added a supercharger to the Lotus for a sub 4 second 0-60 car. It is scary fast now. Kids are doing well. Both are working for my company. I now no longer coach soccer and I am happy about that. I still get to watch my daughter play twice a week. Daughter graduated with a math major from UCSD and is now attending SDSU (statistics) and teaching with Kaplan after hours.

edit to add, I think I must be naturally a positive thinker, because I ignored the negative stuff. This was also a year where I lost a very good friend to a horrible car accident, and the same accident put his child in a long coma. Another friend contracted MRSA which is not good. I turned 50 and getting old sucks, my eyesight is getting where I need glasses for close up stuff. Business has kept me busy and I can't race cars as much as I would like. Had some employee issues that sucked. Hard to find good people that are not insane. I blew up the engine on my car and had to drop a lot of money into it. A trip to Australia ended up being a nightmare due to airplane issues with Qantas. SO In guess it was a good year, but with some bad stuff too.

Last edited by RandyC; 12-26-07 at 11:18 AM.
Old 12-26-07, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Not too bad. I have noticed a lot of people not putting up lights this year. Last year there was much more involvement.
Old 12-26-07, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

A pretty bad year for me, but as I keep reminding myself, it's all relative. I have a job that easily puts food on my family's table, I have good friends, and while there have been some health issues among people I care about, none of them are life threatening. So I'm hoping 2008 will be better than 2007, but even if it's the same, I'm still better off than most people are.
Old 12-26-07, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can honestly say this was the best year of my life.
Old 12-26-07, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Got a better job. Got a nice little setlement check from an age-discrimination lawsuit and paid down some debt. Daughter graduated college and got a good job. Other daughter transferred to a better college.

First priority of the new year for me is to get a dog to replace the one we had to put down in 2006. We've been putting it off for too long.

Happy New Year, Everybody!
Old 12-26-07, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

2007 was one of the worst years of my life. It started back in March when my car was stolen. The car was recovered eventually. The necessary repairs to get it back on the road set me back a good amount. Later in the year, the water pump and serpentine belt broke causing me another set of expensive repairs. Just a couple of weeks ago, the radiator went causing me even more repairs.

My savings went from nearly $6000 in March to $273 right now. Between all the car repairs, bills and foolish spending, I'm just about back to square one.

2007 was also the year that I discovered I have a really bad problem with anxiety. A problem will occur and I'll dwell on it eternally and shut everything else down around me. Like this latest car problem....I'm still concerned about driving it over a week after I had the repairs done. My relationships suffer because the problems are all I focus on.

Last night, my wife told me that she intends to leave me in 6-8 months unless I can get my act together and get my head right. She says that I've become cold and emotionless and that she can't love someone who can't love themself. After the first of the year, I'm going to call around and try to find someone to talk to about my problems to see if I can't turn things around.
Old 12-26-07, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

why not just a buy a new car?
Old 12-26-07, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by al_bundy
why not just a buy a new car?
That ties into the anxiety thing. I'm afraid that I wouldn't be able to make the payments or afford the car insurance.

In a nutshell, I'm a mess.
Old 12-26-07, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Overall, every year seems to be getting better. A lot of things pissed me off, but I usually come out on top. I bought a house, haven't had troubles with the girlfriend, got promoted at work, finally got the shift I wanted at work, family is healthy, bills are paid.

Between 1 and 100, I'd say I'm at a 75 or so. Things could always be better, but I'm pretty happy.
Old 12-26-07, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It was pretty good. Work was pretty good, Home life was pretty good. I can't complain, things can always be better, but if there wasn't things that we could improve on, what else would we do?
Old 12-26-07, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
2007 was one of the worst years of my life. It started back in March when my car was stolen. The car was recovered eventually. The necessary repairs to get it back on the road set me back a good amount. Later in the year, the water pump and serpentine belt broke causing me another set of expensive repairs. Just a couple of weeks ago, the radiator went causing me even more repairs.

My savings went from nearly $6000 in March to $273 right now. Between all the car repairs, bills and foolish spending, I'm just about back to square one.

2007 was also the year that I discovered I have a really bad problem with anxiety. A problem will occur and I'll dwell on it eternally and shut everything else down around me. Like this latest car problem....I'm still concerned about driving it over a week after I had the repairs done. My relationships suffer because the problems are all I focus on.

Last night, my wife told me that she intends to leave me in 6-8 months unless I can get my act together and get my head right. She says that I've become cold and emotionless and that she can't love someone who can't love themself. After the first of the year, I'm going to call around and try to find someone to talk to about my problems to see if I can't turn things around.
Please move this to a new thread, and we'll try and help.

As for me... I can't say that 2007 was entirely stress-free. (My car broke down, my dogs ran away, one of my friends has breast cancer, yadda yadda.) But on the whole, I feel so blessed, with my family and my friends and my job and my health, that I can't help but call 2007 a fantastic year. Quibbling over the smaller stuff just seems wrong.
Old 12-26-07, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wife caught cheating, nasty divorce, expensive lawyers, lost my dog (that **** stole her)
Had to battle to be in my sons life equally (she wanted me be a paycheck dad guess there aren't enough black kids without dads actively in their lives huh?)
False allegations of domestic abuse (her divorce papers said "History of Domestic Abuse however husband has NEVER hit wife nor has she ever called the police on him or ever filed and EPO" WTF?! Then were is the history bi*ch?
Been working 2 full time jobs to pay lawyer and for new place and on my off days I have my son I sleep about 2 hours a day except on Sat when I get a whopping 5 hrs of sleep.
Very close to bankruptcy due to lawyer fees.
But after all that I still have not crumbled or blew my head off so at least I have learned I am a lot stronger than I thought
Old 12-26-07, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

For me, each year just gets worse, so nothing changed in 2007.
Old 12-26-07, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Good year. Spent the past 12 months watching our 12-month-old daughter grow. And I actually had more days off this past year than at work (vacation + weekends + on call sked). Can't complain.
Old 12-26-07, 03:44 PM

Oh, pretty good. 2006 was exciting but tumultuous, as I met my girlfriend, switched jobs (after three years at a local newspaper, I moved into PR at a 50 percent pay increase), and moved to Chicago all in a matter of three months. It was a lot of stress.

2007 was smooth sailing in comparison and I've been able to build a life outside of my family again after moving home post-college. My girlfriend and I went on a lot of short trips (Montreal for New Year's 2007, New York City, Seattle) and a long one (16 days in London, Morocco, and Paris), plus I got to go to a conference in New York for work at the beginning of December.

We officially moved in together in August and love our apartment. She got an adorable munchkin cat to keep mine company (they grudgingly coexist). I got the maximum 6 percent annual raise at work. I don't love my job but it's fairly stress-free and a good placeholder for now -- I have a decent amount of responsibility that will look good on a resume.

The bad stuff was limited. My mom and dad both spent some time in the hospital (she had liver/pancreas problems, he had, get this, an infected cat bite from a stray he brought home) but are doing fine. My girlfriend had some potentially scary health issues that thankfully appear to be fairly minor.

Pet-wise, the cats my brother and I grew up with (brothers) both were put to sleep due to health problems in their old age (19 or 20), and one of the dogs finally visited the happy hunting ground after a growth on her leg rendered her unable to walk and the doctor said she was probably too weak to survive surgery.

My car was a source of frustration, but aside from paying to clean up a minor fender-bender, it's running great, though I need new tires. I've been able to save around 15 percent of my income this year despite a $1500 vacation and aforementioned $1300 car repair, among other expenditures.

Day-to-day, I'm generally pretty happy. It's great to come home to someone I'm excited to see every day. I don't know what number I'd put on it but it wasn't a bad 12 months.
Old 12-26-07, 04:48 PM
Banned

Not a good year for me but I guess not a terrible one either. Nothing terribly exciting this year to be honest. My life became very boring this year. Hopefully 2008 will be better although I have been feeling more and more depressed and hopeless so i dont know how things could turn good. Fingers crossed.
Old 12-26-07, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by NCMojo
Please move this to a new thread, and we'll try and help.

As for me... I can't say that 2007 was entirely stress-free. (My car broke down, my dogs ran away, one of my friends has breast cancer, yadda yadda.) But on the whole, I feel so blessed, with my family and my friends and my job and my health, that I can't help but call 2007 a fantastic year. Quibbling over the smaller stuff just seems wrong.
So, becomming Pres of Otterville is not even an highlight or worth mentioning?

Thanks for the new smilieys.
Old 12-26-07, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Decent year for me. Moved back from Germany to the US and got a pay raise and working on getting a promotion. On the flip side, I had to get surgery on my back for a bulging disc. So I guess everything kinda balances out. And most importantly, I bought a lot of DVDs.
Old 12-26-07, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This has been the the worst year of my life in one way - career. I lost my job in February, and it's been a struggle since. Part-time stuff, contracts, free-lance, but nothing full-time and consistent. My savings is shot. I don't want to lose my house and car...but who knows what will happen in the next 6 months. It's been a year of interviews, rejections, and jobs being pulled from me or never filled, or I finish second and get told "if they don't accept our offer we'll call you". I'm overqualified for everything that I'm not underqualified for, and it blows. It's made for quite a tough year in many ways...

The worst part is that almost everything else is going great. I'm surprisingly content, despite the 'bad days' where I really get down about being unemployed (and feel generally worthless). I'm healthier than I've been in a long time, I've lost 45lbs, and I just feel good. Other than that, my grandparents are deteriorating very rapidly, and they're putting a horrible strain on my parents, who I fear that something will happen to them due to the stress.

2008 can't come quick enough...and these fucks in Pittsburgh better get their shit together and hire me. Whoever does is going to get the hungriest, most dedicated, and hard-working employee they've ever had...
Old 12-26-07, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Worst year ever.

I developed a hiatal hernia (bulge in the stomach wall) which started causing severe chest and stomach pains, which led me to start worrying and stressing a lot about my health which I ignored until eventually it festered into an anxiety disorder which caused me to flame out of grad school, lose my job, have to move back in with my parents, and and just generally feel crappy pretty much all of them time.

So that's 2007 in a nut shell. Things seem to be on an upswing though, so I'm feeling optimistic about 2008.
Old 12-26-07, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator

In 2007, I was not eaten by a tiger.
Old 12-26-07, 09:18 PM

Excellent year. I met some amazing people, had the best summer of my life, traveled, and lost a bunch of weight amongst other other highlights.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.