DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Other Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk-9/)
-   -   Tiger escape (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/520893-tiger-escape.html)

mllefoo 12-25-07 08:23 PM

Tiger escape

Breaking news here in the Bay Area:

4 Tigers Escape Cage In SF Zoo, 1 Person Dead
SAN FRANCISCO (CBS 5) ― The San Francisco Police Department confirmed that four tigers escaped their confinement at the San Francisco Zoo, one of which attacked and killed a person. Two others who were injured were taken to SF General Hospital. One escaped tiger was shot and wounded. The other three tigers are now under confinement.

The zoo has been under Lockdown since just after five pm tonight.

While I feel bad about the person who was killed and the two others who were injured, the tiger didn't deserve to die. It was just doing what big cats do, plus it is a Siberian Tiger, which is critically endangered.

Tranqs work just as well as bullets, and don't kill.

Bah. I'm upset.

Edit: watching this on the news right now. Confirmed the tiger was killed.

The Infidel 12-25-07 08:27 PM

Where did you get from that article that a tiger died? It said four escaped: one was shot and wounded and the other three were captured again.

sjrab16 12-25-07 08:30 PM

One person killed, two injured after four tigers escape from S.F. zoo cages

Steve Rubenstein, Chronicle Staff Writer

(12-25) 18:11 PST San Francisco - -- One person was killed and two others injured early this evening after four San Francisco Zoo tigers got loose, officials said.

One tiger was shot and the other three have been contained, San Francisco Fire Chief Audrey Lee said.

Sources at the scene said the tiger was killed.

Shotgun-wielding police officers have crowded around the south zoo entrance and firefighters were using tall ladders to shine flashlights into the zoo through the dense eucalyptus trees.

The zoo was open despite the Christmas holiday. It was scheduled to close at 5 p.m. It was not immediately clear whether the person who was killed was a visitor or worker.

The attack happened almost exactly a year after a 350-pound tiger attacked its keeper during a public feeding. The state later ruled the zoo was responsible for that incident because of the way the tiger cages were configured.

E-mail the authors at [email protected].

kenbuzz 12-25-07 08:31 PM

Somehow, they'll blame this on the Bengals. I just know it.

mllefoo 12-25-07 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by The_Infidel
Where did you get from that article that a tiger died? It said four escaped: one was shot and wounded and the other three were captured again.

It's breaking news locally. I'm repeating what the news anchors have said.

One person dead. Two injured, in stable but critical condition at SF General Hospital, and one tiger dead. Shot by the police.

The other three are now confined.

mllefoo 12-25-07 08:33 PM

The person killed was a visitor. Apparently the tiger got into the cafeteria.

Nick Danger 12-25-07 08:52 PM

Tigers escape! It's like a Superman cartoon!

Giantrobo 12-25-07 09:16 PM

Survival of the Fittest.

Tiger + Unarmed Visitor = Tiger 1 Visitor 0
Tiger + Person with gun = Tiger 0 Person 1

al_bundy 12-25-07 09:22 PM

http://msnbcmedia2.msn.com/j/msnbc/C...d_4p.widec.jpg

Maxflier 12-25-07 09:23 PM

It's a damn shame that the tiger gets killed, why is it they always put the animal to death when something like this happens?
If you don't want to put peoples lives in danger then fine, leave the fucking things in the jungle where they came from, but if you insist on capturing them and holding them captive don't kill it for acting on it's instincts.

chrisih8u 12-25-07 09:30 PM

They should have politely told the tiger to stop attacking people and go back to his cage.

Brent L 12-25-07 09:33 PM

Did they not even try to grab it by the tail before they shot it?

Spoiler:
Or is that why it killed someone?

SlartyBart 12-25-07 09:34 PM

Don't taze me, Broar.

sjrab16 12-25-07 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Maxflier
It's a damn shame that the tiger gets killed, why is it they always put the animal to death when something like this happens?
If you don't want to put peoples lives in danger then fine, leave the fucking things in the jungle where they came from, but if you insist on capturing them and holding them captive don't kill it for acting on it's instincts.

what an idiotic statement. I am all for animal rights, but considering the tiger was probably shot because it was going to attack again...killing it was probably the best. But you tell the family that the tiger is worth more then the next victim would of been.

Oh yeah and Merry Christmas to you too.

al_bundy 12-25-07 09:38 PM

you lock up a wild animal that has territorial instincts in a cage and when it escapes and attacks those it believes a threat you shoot it

Maxflier 12-25-07 09:42 PM

If the situation was as you describe it then I can understand, but I got the impression that they had cleared the place out.
50 bucks says that even had the tiger walked back into it's cage after killing the person, they would still have killed it.

chrisih8u 12-25-07 09:44 PM

The tiger was killing people! Fuckin tranqs? Are you serious? Do you realize they don't instantly put an animal to sleep? If it was your loved one under a fucking tiger, what would you want done?

:up: to the police for saving lives.

Brent L 12-25-07 09:47 PM

When a deadly animal like this escapes, what they should do is just let it eat as many people as it wants, and when it's finally full they can gently herd it back into it's cage.

Maxflier 12-25-07 09:56 PM

The story on CNN says that the police got there just as it was attacking 2 other people in a cafe. So of course I can understand having no choice but to shoot it.
I just get frustrated because you know it would have been put to death no matter what.

mllefoo 12-25-07 10:10 PM

Indeed.
The news initially reported that the tiger was shot and killed. It wasn't reported immediately that the tiger was mauling someone as it was shot.

The way the story was told, the tiger was just out of its cage, and then shot.

But it is true. Even if the animal was still in its cage, but had reached through the bars to grab someone who got too close, it would have been shot and killed.

Gunshy 12-25-07 10:44 PM

"Never get out of the boat..."

http://www.celluloidheroreviews.com/...alypse-now.jpg

-Gunshy

salamander2 12-25-07 10:49 PM

I think what the main posters cocnern was, if you didnt know, the Siberian Tiger is indeed in a vergy of extinction, there is probably only less than 800 left on earth. Yes, the tiger shouldtn have killed and attacked, BUT tigers are predetory animals who will attack, it was just doing its natural thing.

More reason why zoo's are just not the place to keep endangered species.

DVD Polizei 12-25-07 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Brent L
When a deadly animal like this escapes, what they should do is just let it eat as many people as it wants, and when it's finally full they can gently herd it back into it's cage.

Endagered dangerous animals who are hungry + over-crowded prisons = win-win

Kudama 12-26-07 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
Tigers escape! It's like a Superman cartoon!

Except dead tigers! Plus was he wearing a cape?

Heat 12-26-07 01:18 AM

I wonder what this guy was doing before he was attacked and killed. Was he just sitting there having some food, was he trying to run away, or was he licking the tiger's balls? Remember, this was in San Francisco where pretty much anything can happen, or so I've heard.