Other Talk "Otterville"

Tiger escape

Old 12-26-07, 02:54 AM
  #26  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 20,728
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone been to the safari ride at Disney's Animal Kingdom? Very nice, I think they had lions just sitting, unfenced but quite far away from the bus road. But a couple zebras were bold enough to cross the road in front of the bus. I've wondered how they've kept the lions and other dangerous animals at a safe distance from guests and other animals.

Just a crappy day for the tiger and the visitor.
Old 12-26-07, 04:03 AM
  #27  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Working for Gizmonic Institute
Posts: 10,428
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxflier
It's a damn shame that the tiger gets killed, why is it they always put the animal to death when something like this happens?
If you don't want to put peoples lives in danger then fine, leave the fucking things in the jungle where they came from, but if you insist on capturing them and holding them captive don't kill it for acting on it's instincts.
So they always put the animal down huh?

A tiger that mauled a zookeeper last year escaped from its pen at the San Francisco Zoo on Tuesday, killing one man and injuring two others before police shot it dead, authorities said.
linkus
Old 12-26-07, 09:43 AM
  #28  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mrs. Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: With Nick Danger
Posts: 18,277
Likes: 0
Received 97 Likes on 59 Posts
It's the Human Superiority thing. Any animal that tastes human blood must die.

Otherwise, we will lose their respect.
Old 12-26-07, 01:22 PM
  #29  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 6,632
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its sad that the person that died, )guessing they probably visiting with family on a christmas holiday), and their kids lost their dad, but tiger's death is a bigger concern to some.
Old 12-26-07, 01:30 PM
  #30  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,705
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How does a tiger just escape anyways?
Old 12-26-07, 01:37 PM
  #31  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Maxflier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 11,986
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22395368/?gt1=10645

According to that article/video the tiger must have leaped and/or climbed out.
There is speculation that the people it attacked were taunting it.
If that is the case then I bet they were shitting themselves when they saw that mofo escape from it's pen to come after them.
Old 12-26-07, 03:47 PM
  #32  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Brent L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Upstate, SC
Posts: 13,617
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it wrong that I'm now wondering when we get the YouTube vids of the incident?
Old 12-26-07, 04:21 PM
  #33  
DVD Talk Legend
 
chrisih8u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: A few miles north of the Cape
Posts: 18,335
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Maxflier
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22395368/?gt1=10645

According to that article/video the tiger must have leaped and/or climbed out.
There is speculation that the people it attacked were taunting it.
If that is the case then I bet they were shitting themselves when they saw that mofo escape from it's pen to come after them.
Whoever is speculating that is retarded.

Do you really think a tiger is going to:

1. Realize someone is taunting them
2. Escape because of it
3. Track down these people somehow
4. Attack them out of revenge
Old 12-26-07, 04:36 PM
  #34  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Maxflier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 11,986
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I don't think she had to "track down" anyone. According to the article the first dude was attacked right outside the enclosure and the other 2 were 300 yards away.
Maybe it can't understand that it's being taunted, but if they were doing something to get it's attention then I don't see why it's hard to believe that she would go after those same people.
Old 12-26-07, 04:46 PM
  #35  
DVD Talk Legend
 
chrisih8u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: A few miles north of the Cape
Posts: 18,335
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Maxflier
I don't think she had to "track down" anyone. According to the article the first dude was attacked right outside the enclosure and the other 2 were 300 yards away.
Maybe it can't understand that it's being taunted, but if they were doing something to get it's attention then I don't see why it's hard to believe that she would go after those same people.
I think you are confusing this tiger with those raptors from Jurassic Park. Its not capable of finding someone he saw 300 yards away.

I guess it would be nice for you if the tiger were being taunted. It would make it even easier for you to sympathize with the stupid animal as opposed to the poor person who died.
Old 12-26-07, 04:53 PM
  #36  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Brent L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Upstate, SC
Posts: 13,617
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let's say the last Tiger in the world, or some other kind of dangerous animal, is killing or about to kill a person - a loved one or just some random person. You have the weapons and/or the ability to destroy the animal. What would you do?
Old 12-26-07, 04:54 PM
  #37  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Maxflier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 11,986
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
And I think you are underestimating the tiger. But whatever, maybe your right and the tiger just all of a sudden after all this time decided to jump out of the enclosure that particular day and killed an innocent person. But neither of us know exactly what happened. It is quite possible that the person(s) were asking for it.
Old 12-26-07, 04:59 PM
  #38  
DVD Talk Legend
 
chrisih8u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: A few miles north of the Cape
Posts: 18,335
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Maxflier
And I think you are underestimating the tiger. But whatever, maybe your right and the tiger just all of a sudden after all this time decided to jump out of the enclosure that particular day and killed an innocent person. But neither of us know exactly what happened. It is quite possible that the person(s) were asking for it.
It's possible they were asking to be killed by a tiger? What is wrong with you?
Old 12-26-07, 05:03 PM
  #39  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 6,459
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just going to the zoo and looking at them is taunting. Its been along time since I have been to a zoo. Alot of the animals just looked crazy pacing back and forth, especially the Polar Bear who looked wacko.

What about those little Tiger Tails Esso (now Exxon) used to give people to hang on their gas door to make it look like you had a "tiger in the tank"? I bet that would piss a tiger off.

Old 12-26-07, 05:20 PM
  #40  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 7,534
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All I know is that if I have a gun and there is a tiger in front of me that has already killed several people, I'm going to shoot.

The same goes for a human. If there is a human in front of me that has already murdered several people, I'm going to shoot him too.
Old 12-26-07, 05:42 PM
  #41  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: NY
Posts: 2,000
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brent L
Let's say the last Tiger in the world, or some other kind of dangerous animal, is killing or about to kill a person - a loved one or just some random person. You have the weapons and/or the ability to destroy the animal. What would you do?
I don't think we need tigers. I vote we get rid of them. I don't think we need sharks either. I'd like to get rid of them too.
Old 12-26-07, 05:54 PM
  #42  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,705
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisih8u
I think you are confusing this tiger with those raptors from Jurassic Park. Its not capable of finding someone he saw 300 yards away.

I guess it would be nice for you if the tiger were being taunted. It would make it even easier for you to sympathize with the stupid animal as opposed to the poor person who died.
why exactly is a tiger stupid?
Old 12-26-07, 05:58 PM
  #43  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
dadaluholla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Wilmington, OH
Posts: 5,491
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Brent L
Let's say the last Tiger in the world, or some other kind of dangerous animal, is killing or about to kill a person - a loved one or just some random person. You have the weapons and/or the ability to destroy the animal. What would you do?
I would have a VERY short list of people I wouldn't let a tiger eat. Of course, I'm not really a people person, so I'd actually say a vast majority of the world's population is worthy of nothing but being fed to large cats...or giant sand worms.
Old 12-26-07, 06:13 PM
  #44  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,796
Likes: 0
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisih8u
It's possible they were asking to be killed by a tiger? What is wrong with you?
We don't know what happened in this case, but anybody who taunts a dangerous animal is asking to get shredded and bears the responsibility for what happens to them.
As for the incident last year with the zooworker. If you are going to voluntarily get within arm's length of a tiger and get your arm nearly ripped off, well DUH!!, what the fuck you think is going to happen.
No matter what your training(she must have skipped class the day they discussed how to exert mind control over vicious animals and put them underyour power), you want to feed a tiger and know you can talk about it the next day :
1. slide food threough slot in solid brick wall with 10 foot pole
2. fire food into cage with cannon from 50 yards back
3. drop food from above with helicopter
Old 12-26-07, 06:13 PM
  #45  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 2,277
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxflier
It's a damn shame that the tiger gets killed, why is it they always put the animal to death when something like this happens?
If you don't want to put peoples lives in danger then fine, leave the fucking things in the jungle where they came from, but if you insist on capturing them and holding them captive don't kill it for acting on it's instincts.
That's what makes me so angry everytime I watch King Kong. And I feel the same way no matter which version I'm watching - '33, '76 or '05.
Old 12-26-07, 06:15 PM
  #46  
DVD Talk Ruler
 
General Zod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Posts: 22,060
Received 115 Likes on 85 Posts
There are about 800 Siberian Tigers left in the world.. There are 6.6 Billion people. I don't see what the big deal is if she gobbles a few folks up.
Old 12-26-07, 06:24 PM
  #47  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Goat3001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 17,106
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisih8u
Whoever is speculating that is retarded.

Do you really think a tiger is going to:

1. Realize someone is taunting them
2. Escape because of it
3. Track down these people somehow
4. Attack them out of revenge
If a shark can do it, why can't a tiger?

Old 12-26-07, 07:12 PM
  #48  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 53,604
Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by General Zod
There are about 800 Siberian Tigers left in the world.. There are 6.6 Billion people. I don't see what the big deal is if she gobbles a few folks up.
Can't argue with that. As long as it isn't me or my buds on DVD Talk.
Old 12-26-07, 10:04 PM
  #49  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Posts: 14,020
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I, for one, would like to welcome our new Tiger overlords.
Old 12-26-07, 10:23 PM
  #50  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Ferment
Posts: 19,548
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
why exactly is a tiger stupid?
It was pissed off, not stupid. Apparently the three guys were teasing the tigers. From all accounts I've read today, the tiger only went after the people who were teasing it.

Not that I'm condoning people die for teasing tigers, but if you're going to tease a tiger, just be aware that it may be angry enough to jump a fence and eat you.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.