Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Are there stores, restaurants, or places you will refuse to shop in?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion and Politics

Old 11-22-07, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting question being that Black Friday is right around the corner. I'm guessing many people avoid certain stores based on bad previous shopping or employment experiences. Any on your list?
Old 11-22-07, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ah yes, the -banned for life- issue..
I have one local sports store that I hated as a kid (Big Five) and I will not shop there at all. I will other Big Five stores but I always hated everything about that one local store.

banned a few restaurants but they are all out of biz now so clearly I was not the only one with issues with the places.

banned Ford due to a death of a family member. Don't hate the company or think they make "nothing but crap" ect, I just don't want to give them any money.

Banned Lyons Realty for being total jerks in a few open house I've been to in the past. Would still "buy" a home they have listed if I really liked the place but I will never list a home with them to sell.

oh and nerd wise, my first ever -banned for life- company was "SSI games" wayyyy back as a kid with an Amiga 500. Being every single time I tried a SSI game I hated it.

that's about it.. Not too bad IMO and nothing company/store wise that avoiding them has any impact on my life.
Old 11-22-07, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Burger King...every fast food joint gives free water.....BK charges a quarter and gives it in a dixie cup!!!!!!! disgusting
Old 11-22-07, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've had issues with Circuit City in the past so I don't shop there anymore. Also had a bad experience with highspots.com so I won't buy from them anymore either.
Old 11-22-07, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
I've had issues with Circuit City in the past so I don't shop there anymore. Also had a bad experience with highspots.com so I won't buy from them anymore either.
Only four posts and Circuit City is already on the list huh? I had a Circuit City credit card about 15 years ago. I charged a $250 VCR on it, and paid it off in three months. I then charged a $600 camcorder and paid it off in about six months. About six months later I bought about $30 in video games. I lost my CC bill and was about a week late with my payment when I received the nastiest collections call I've ever received. Since that day, I price match at Best Buy.
Old 11-22-07, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Best Buy, ordered something online for store pickup. Got the email saying it was ready for pickup so I drove down. When I got there I browsed around noticing the item I ordered on the shelf so I looked at it. When I went to pick it up I was told they did not have it. I said "funny it's there on the shelf". The guy "Doug" asked me if I would go over to get it and I did, but when I returned I asked for my $10 off since it was not ready for in 1 minute like there policy says. He said no, and the shit hit the fan. I asked for a manager and she never came. Finally he got the ok or something and did the sale. But when he asked me to sign the CC receipt it had the full price and not the $10 off. "Doug" said check in a few days for the adjustment on my CC, if not call the head office. Again I asked for a manager saying I am NOT signing a CC receipt for the wrong price and 'Hope" you correct it. Again I waited and again over his walkie-talkie he got the ok to just give me $10 in cash.

So to pickup something that was supposed to take 1 minute took about 45 minutes and the manager never had the balls to come over. BANNED!!
Old 11-22-07, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Subway
Ben and Jerry's
Old 11-22-07, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Starbucks
McDonalds
Stub Hub.....
Old 11-22-07, 09:41 AM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Circuit City--Divx
Any do gooder type company.
Any place that says X amount out of your purchase goes to Y charity.

Last edited by bhk; 11-22-07 at 09:51 AM.
Old 11-22-07, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
McDonalds, Bennigans, TGI Fridays, Applebees, Barbeques Galore
Old 11-22-07, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Home Depot - Reason in this thread.

Time Warner Cable - there's not enough space on this forum to explain my hatred of TWC. To summarize, they have the WORST customer service. EVER.
Old 11-22-07, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No. Holding grudges against stores is stupid.
Old 11-22-07, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Deep Discount, because they told me to return something by writing "Return to Sender" on it, and I had to fight with them for months before I got my refund. I had to accuse them of stealing $55 from me before they did anything.
Old 11-22-07, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I try and avoid....

Best Buy - had a really bad run-in with the actual store manager (after a few "wanna be assistants tried to convince me they were the store manager) a few years back.

McDonalds, Subway, and Taco Bell - food quality.

Circuit City - after the mass layoff thingy.
Old 11-22-07, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts
Hobby Lobby

Anyplace that has that fish on their sign.
Old 11-22-07, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Kmart--Because they never have what's in their ad. Easy boycott since they went out of business in my town.

Circuit City--For suing Speedy, laying off all those workers, and being a general mess. It may be an electronics store, but it sure feels like Kmart to me.
Old 11-22-07, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by wabio
Interesting question being that Black Friday is right around the corner. I'm guessing many people avoid certain stores based on bad previous shopping or employment experiences. Any on your list?
LOL....holding a grudge against a store seems pointless to me. I"ll shop anywhere I want, when I want, but I also don't feel like i've ever been totally wronged by any place either, maybe just lucky me.
Old 11-22-07, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I won't buy gas from EXXON.
Old 11-22-07, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Blacklisted Wal-Mart. Mostly for issues of parking, crowds...and embarassment for being there... I just don't like em.

And that parking garage on 2nd and pike....locked my truck in there overnight thanks to their misleading signs.
Old 11-22-07, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wal-Mart, K-Mart and Circuit City. These places almost never have what I'm after and if they do, you have to find it yourself after picking through the messy shelves. Also, there's no help to be found and if you do find a worker, it's "this isn't my department". CC just sucks all the way around.
Old 11-22-07, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well I dont refuse to shop anywhere, but I try not to go to Circuit City... They have absolutely no customer service. But I havent swore them off, if there is a great deal, I will go knowing what I have to put up with when I go there.

Actually, just about all stores here in Queens are usually pretty worthless. The employee pool that is pulled from is pretty pathetic and the people who work ay BB, CC, Sears, etc act like you are inconveniencing them by showing up to the store.
Old 11-22-07, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

wal-mart -because of their methods
Old 11-22-07, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
wal-mart -because of their methods
Have to agree here.
Old 11-22-07, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
No. Holding grudges against stores is stupid.
I agree. A few bad experiences don't bother me, because essentially i know what i'm going into a store to buy, buy my product, and leave. I rarely end up and shitty situations, and even then, i don't let little things bother me.
Old 11-22-07, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Blockbuster...See my sig.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.