Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Engagement Ring Help

Old 11-19-07, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Engagement Ring Help

Hello everyone.

I tried this back a few months ago, but got flamed by some people with nothing better to do.

Everything is set in motion and I am putting the finishing touches on my plan to ask my girlfriend to marry me

As much as it sucked, I had to postpone things due to my job situation over the Summer. I am now much better off and finishing where I left off.

I will most likely be getting the engagement ring from www.bluenile.com , based on the great reviews and word of mouth I have heard from people on this site.

I have a great setting picked out. It's white gold with sapphires and round diamonds on each side. I am going to get a round diamond in the middle.

I am looking at spending roughly $3000 on the stone itself. I am pretty much looking at a size of .72 - .75 carat, and a color range of D, E or F.

I want it VS2 of greater as well.

I have seen some diamonds that are only .70 - .75, but they look much bigger. Because of their depth and width maybe? Does anyone have any last minute suggestions or tips for me? I have been looking at all different sorts of diamonds at bluenile, so I'd just love some other suggestions of what YOU GUYS AND GALS would like!

Please.... for those of you who think buying diamonds online is tacky or negative, DON'T chime in.

Thanks again guys!

Oh, and for an update on my whole master plan, check out the thread here:

Old 11-19-07, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Online's not tacky. Tacky is paying attention to size and not other things (what she wants, etc.).
Old 11-19-07, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Buying diamonds online is fine (you can usually find a nice deal, and BN is a great dealer). It is the whole 'marriage' thing that I'd advise against.

-p
Old 11-19-07, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
Online's not tacky. Tacky is paying attention to size and not other things (what she wants, etc.).

Oh, she's made it very clear what she wants

It's the exact setting, metal type, and stone shape/cut she wants
Old 11-19-07, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by pedagogue
Buying diamonds online is fine (you can usually find a nice deal, and BN is a great dealer). It is the whole 'marriage' thing that I'd advise against.

-p

LOL

You're not the first person to advise against it. My friend is in the middle of a divorce and keeps saying "I'll tell you 'I told ya so! in a few years". LOL... Perfect situation for me NOT to learn from

So, have any input on the depth/width thing?

I've been told GIA is the best source for diamond certification.

BlueNile has some nicer, more expensive stones than some of their GIA counterparts certified by a company called "AGSL"

Anyone have any information/experience on them?

Last edited by Sominex; 11-19-07 at 11:11 PM.
Old 11-19-07, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sominex
So, have any input on the depth/width thing?
Yeah, women are size queens, they want length and girth....the bigger, the better. Diamond.

Actually I'd probably ask her, since I wouldn't trust a guy (myself included) to pick out something that important without a lot of input from the woman.

-p
Old 11-19-07, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sounds like a nice ring, the only thing I would do is get the setting in Platinum , it is stronger than gold. Get the best stone that you can afford. Good Luck
Old 11-19-07, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Got mine from Blue Nile. It was much cheaper than anything I could've bought here. Also, I couldn't find anywhere in my city that had F-color or higher diamonds that wasn't special order (yeah, I was stunned too).
Old 11-20-07, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk God

Get the nicest cheapest one that looks good to the naked eye. Jewlers try to sell on the idea of clarity, cut, etc., but it is just a tactic to get you to spend more. I have never seen women looking at diamond rings through a magnifying glass unless they were at the Jewlers.

Do believe the hype. If you are buying one as an investment, do all the other crap. Otherwise, make up fake stats, and no one will be the wiser.
Old 11-20-07, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Take dave's advice one step further, buy her a fake.

I'm on a forum dedicated to "other", I have nothing else to do.
Old 11-20-07, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mndtrp
Take dave's advice one step further, buy her a fake.

I'm on a forum dedicated to "other", I have nothing else to do.

Great, thanks.
Old 11-20-07, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

www.dirtcheapdiamonds.com
Old 11-20-07, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just so you know, it takes 1.04J of energy to raise the temperature of a 1 carat diamond 10 degrees Celsius.

Also, I believe the better the cut, the larger the diamond looks because of the ratios.
Old 11-20-07, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Good luck to you, I hope you find something awesome.
Old 11-20-07, 11:16 AM

The engagement ring I picked out for my special lady friend has the diamond set high in the band so it looks bigger than it actually is. Friends think it's huge, then we show them the space below and they think it's funny how easy it is to fool folks into thinking diamonds are giants.

Oh, and she probably cares more about the ring's band than you think she does. Some women go crazy for white gold, while others prefer standard. Designs vs. simple, etc.
Old 11-20-07, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by The Bus
Exactly. And the cool thing about Bluenile is if you or she doesn't like it, send it back for a full refund.
Old 11-20-07, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by jonw9
Also, I believe the better the cut, the larger the diamond looks because of the ratios.
Not true. A better cut (for a given carat weight) will produce more shine/sparkle/color than a poorer cut. It may often look smaller than a poorly-cut stone becuase it is cut to provide the best angles and ratios. Poor cuts tend to maximize the apparent size (when cut from a given rough stone) and keep as much of the rough stone in the final cut, and do not focus on qualitative geometry of the stone.
Old 11-26-07, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hmmm...

If I buy it from Blue Nile, does anyone have tips on:

1. Insuring it?

2. Getting it polished/cleaned regularly?

3. Someone mentioned if I get White Gold, I need to get it "Re-Dipped" every now and then?
Old 11-26-07, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Sominex
Hmmm...

If I buy it from Blue Nile, does anyone have tips on:

1. Insuring it?

2. Getting it polished/cleaned regularly?

3. Someone mentioned if I get White Gold, I need to get it "Re-Dipped" every now and then?
1. Your current insurance company can add it to your homeowners policy.

2. Your local jeweler can do this or she can do it herself with an ultrasonic cleaner. I would recommend her getting the setting checked at least once a year to make sure it's not loose.

3. White gold should be solid all the way through. A solid white gold (or yellow gold) band would look the same if you cut it in half and looked at the cross section. There is no dipping or re-dipping unless you buy a rhodium plated band. The "white" color in white gold comes from mixing either nickel or palladium with the yellow gold and thus "bleaching" the color to make it white. ---> More info here <---

Last edited by Sonicflood; 11-26-07 at 11:40 PM.
Old 11-27-07, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Sonicflood
1. Your current insurance company can add it to your homeowners policy.

2. Your local jeweler can do this or she can do it herself with an ultrasonic cleaner. I would recommend her getting the setting checked at least once a year to make sure it's not loose.

3. White gold should be solid all the way through. A solid white gold (or yellow gold) band would look the same if you cut it in half and looked at the cross section. There is no dipping or re-dipping unless you buy a rhodium plated band. The "white" color in white gold comes from mixing either nickel or palladium with the yellow gold and thus "bleaching" the color to make it white. ---> More info here <---
Actually, #1 depends on your insurance company. Neither State Farm (who my wife had when we were engaged) or Allstate (my company) would add it to the policy because we weren't married. Your mileage may vary on that one. I bought through Bluenile and got insurance through Chubbs. They were recommended by Bluenile. Was like $100 for the year, long enough for us to get married and then get our homeowners policy switched over.

2. You can guy a pretty decent ultrasonic cleaner for less than $100. I would definitely consider picking one up.

3. Usually it costs about $30 to get it Rhodium plated.
Old 11-27-07, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones
Actually, #1 depends on your insurance company. Neither State Farm (who my wife had when we were engaged) or Allstate (my company) would add it to the policy because we weren't married. Your mileage may vary on that one. I bought through Bluenile and got insurance through Chubbs. They were recommended by Bluenile. Was like $100 for the year, long enough for us to get married and then get our homeowners policy switched over.

2. You can guy a pretty decent ultrasonic cleaner for less than $100. I would definitely consider picking one up.

3. Usually it costs about $30 to get it Rhodium plated.

Long time no talk Deftones! (If ya even remember me)

Thanks for the advice!

I'd like to have her (or I) take it in once a year or every 6 months to have it polished and checked to make sure the stone is still secore. I worry about some jewler trying to switch stones or something though. Do you think they'll mind if we sit there and watch them polish it, etc?

I wonder how much they charge for that?
Old 11-28-07, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk God

I know at my local Jared (not sure if you have those where you are), the repair part is of the shop. You can watch them do all the work there. As long as you take it to a reputable dealer, I'm sure you have nothing to worry about.
Old 11-28-07, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deftones
I've had no problem adding jewelry to my homeowners policy which is named in my fiancee and my name.

YMMV
Old 11-29-07, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by ChiTownAbs, Inc
I've had no problem adding jewelry to my homeowners policy which is named in my fiancee and my name.

YMMV
Which is why I said it depends on your insurance policy doofus.
Old 11-29-07, 09:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ChiTownAbs, Inc

YMMV
I kept it in my name until the wedding. That eliminated the problem completely.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.