Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Comments on the '08 Impreza Hatchback (non-WRX)?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 11-12-07, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've recently decided to buy a new car for no particular reason other than I want a change. I've looked at everything from an Infiniti FX35 to Ford Fusion with less than stellar results. I'm very tall and am very picky about how I sit when I drive so the majority of cars on the market just don't work.

Of everything I've tried, the current frontrunner seems to be the Subaru Impreza (which strangely enough has more useable front and rear seat room than even a Forrester, Legacy, or Tribecca).

I've heard lots of bitching lately about the huge drop in Honda and Toyota quality, but I haven't done the research to see if any of it is true. I'm just wondering if there is any similar feedback (anecdotal or real) on the quality of the '08 Impreza or late model Subarus in general.

Note:My current car is a Mazda Protege5, which also provides me with ridiculous amounts of room in a small car. The key is lateral room for the knees - wraparound consoles and bulging doors are game-killers.

Last edited by BigPete; 11-12-07 at 06:33 PM.
Old 11-12-07, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
From what I've read as an occasional Car & Driver fan is that Subarus are what Volvos were in the late 70's and early 80's: well-built and a good value but not very fashionable or exciting, compared to others.
Old 11-12-07, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well, the name sucks.
Old 11-13-07, 08:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I think Subaru is the best quality vehicle on the road for the money.... This has nothing to do with the fact that I work for a Subaru dealer, this is just my honest opinion. I assume your salesman told you about their unequaled All Wheel Drive and Boxer engine along with 5 Star crash rating.

I totally agree Subaru has had some design issues in the looks department but that seems to be in the past and I think the Impreza WRX is just badass looking for a 5 door vehicle (hatchback sounds unsexy) with turbo.
Old 11-13-07, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mazda 3 5 door.
Old 11-13-07, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts
I've been driving a WRX for about 4 years now. Excellent car. I'll probably be going with another Subaru when it's time to buy again. I can't say I'm thrilled with the new body design for 08 though.
Old 11-13-07, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've owned my Impreza RS since 2000, and I love it. Even the usual problems with Subarus (cheap paint, weak wheel bearings on older models, squeaks and creaks) don't distract from that it's a real reliable and fun car to drive.

However, the 2008 models have taken a drastic turn from what I expect of Subaru. While I expect the suspension and engine to be great, the body is completely underwhelming. The STI version is decent enough looking, but the base models are almost an exact ripoff of the Mazda 3 4-door wagon. If you like that look, then by all means go for it, but I prefer the older models that didn't blend in the crowd so much.

-jason
Old 11-13-07, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I own a wrx (loving the bugeyes ^). I am 90% sure my next car will be another subaru (from a former 2x honda person). I was considering the impreza RS because of not needing premium gas, but the thought of losing all that power will probably direct me to another wrx or the stronger outback.
Old 11-13-07, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by noonan4224
I've been driving a WRX for about 4 years now. Excellent car. I'll probably be going with another Subaru when it's time to buy again. I can't say I'm thrilled with the new body design for 08 though.
ditto I've had my 04 Impreza Outback since July of 03 and only had one minor issue with it that was covered by warranty. The issues mentioned here are there (poor paint, etc) but I think if I needed a new car today I'd either get another one or a Legacy sedan. Not totally thrilled on the 08's looks and now that the Legacy has a fold down rear seat that would probably work ok for me. The stock tires kinda sucked and wore pretty fast but with some good Falken tires the thing is a tank in the snow.

Last edited by Cardiff Giant11; 11-13-07 at 04:27 PM.
Old 11-13-07, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jaelliot
I think Subaru is the best quality vehicle on the road for the money.... This has nothing to do with the fact that I work for a Subaru dealer.

this is so close to making it into my signature
Old 11-13-07, 11:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by twikoff

this is so close to making it into my signature
It would be an honor.

I think twikoff is one of the most intelligent posters on dvdtalk.... this has nothing to do with the fact that I am his father....