Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Caption This: W is wrong with some parent's today?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion and Politics

Old 11-07-07, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

found the story on google news this morning. how could anyone let their kids end up like this?

http://www.ecanadanow.com/news/healt...-20071105.html

Boston (eCanadaNow) - More sleep can reduce a child's risk of becoming obese, according to a new study from the University of Michigan.

Researchers found that for every additional hour of sleep for a night for a third-grader, the risk of obesity is reduced by 40 percent by 6th grade.

“Many children aren’t getting enough sleep, and that lack of sleep may not only be making them moody or preventing them from being alert and ready to learn at school, it may also be leading to a higher risk of being overweight,” says study lead author Julie C. Lumeng, M.D., assistant research scientist at the U-M Center for Human Growth and Development.

“This study suggests that an increased risk for overweight is yet another potential consequence of short sleep duration, providing an additional reason to ensure that children are receiving adequate sleep, primarily through enforcing an age-appropriate bed time.”

Most promising, these study results show that for every additional hour of sleep in sixth grade, a child was 20 percent less likely to be overweight in sixth grade; every additional hour of sleep in third grade resulted in a 40 percent decrease in the child’s risk of being overweight in sixth grade.

“Sleep may have a behavior impact on children,” says Lumeng. “In other words, children who are better rested may have more energy to get more exercise. For example, they may be more likely to go out and play, as opposed to lying on the couch watching TV. It also is possible that when children are tired, they may be more irritable or moody, and may use food to regulate their mood.”

The study is published in the journal Pediatrics.
Old 11-07-07, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I've always wondered how much it'd suck to be one of the people in the stock footage news stations play when they are talking about how fat america is getting. They always show neck down shots of large people walking on the street. It's gotta suck to realize that it is your body they are showing.
Old 11-07-07, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
So... I should go take a nap?
Old 11-07-07, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm amazed at the number of fat kids I see these days. Not to be non-PC, but it seems to be particularly true of Hispanic kids. Judging by my completely anecdotal experience, I see more overweight Hispanic kids than normal-sized Hispanic kids.

To extend the non-PC-ness of my post, at my kids' (almost entirely white, suburban, above median income) school, the kids are almost all average sized, fat kids are very rare. However, whenever I go to somewhere public in urban Chicago (restaurant, zoo, city park etc) with kids from a "more diverse range of social and ethnic backgrounds", the kids look much, much fatter. Long story short, I definitely think obesity incidence, particularly in kids, has a lot to do with economics and ethnicity.
Old 11-07-07, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As far as that pic is concerned, who knows how the kids wound up like that. Doesn't have to be due to over-eating.
Old 11-07-07, 08:54 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
"...at the very last second, Rosie O'Donnell ruins yet another photo at the Sears Portrait Studio"
Old 11-07-07, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Hiro11
To extend the non-PC-ness of my post, at my kids' (almost entirely white, suburban, above median income) school, the kids are almost all average sized, fat kids are very rare. However, whenever I go to somewhere public in urban Chicago (restaurant, zoo, city park etc) with kids from a "more diverse range of social and ethnic backgrounds", the kids look much, much fatter.
This is an interesting theory you posit. Are you suggesting that children of well-to-do parents may have a better nutritional profile?

This needs to be investigated. Perhaps more income can lead to exchanging that extra income for goods and services which may include higher-quality food.
Old 11-07-07, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heh, I just read a story about the It's A Small World ride at Disneyland being refurbished partly because the American general public has become a bit too large since 1963 to fit into those little boats.
Old 11-07-07, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They forgot the most obvious benefit of more sleep...

One more hour of sleep = One less hour to eat, DUH!
Old 11-07-07, 09:21 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Its not too much of a stretch to imagine that taking your kids to McDonalds, Taco Bell and other cheap, convenient, fast food places will bloat your kids up faster than the rich parents who get handmade pita sandwiches for their kids at Whole Foods. Poor families have fewer choices for healthy eating, no?
Old 11-07-07, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts
I'm worried about the lack of sleep thing. Combine that with a sedentary life, and poor diet... no wonder kids are nuts these days.

What kind of weirdo parent doesn't let their kid get enough sleep? That's when they are best behaved! Don't let them stay up late playing video games and eating potato chips, and their grades will improve!
Old 11-07-07, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by The Bus
This is an interesting theory you posit. Are you suggesting that children of well-to-do parents may have a better nutritional profile?

This needs to be investigated. Perhaps more income can lead to exchanging that extra income for goods and services which may include higher-quality food.
Ass.

I guess my point is that obesity rates varying by ethnicity and/or economic strata are almost never mentioned on news items covering the "epidemic" while they're both blatantly obvious to the casual observer.
Old 11-07-07, 09:39 AM
Admin

Received 128 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Save Ferris
Its not too much of a stretch to imagine that taking your kids to McDonalds, Taco Bell and other cheap, convenient, fast food places will bloat your kids up faster than the rich parents who get handmade pita sandwiches for their kids at Whole Foods. Poor families have fewer choices for healthy eating, no?
But in the old days poor people were skinny because they didn't have enough to eat. How many fat poor people were running around during the Great Depression? I think one problem is the abundance of cheap food in large portions. It's a mix of personal responsibility and companies providing people with what their instincts say they need...more food. Just super size it. More is better. You won't "go hungry" these days, but you may "go fat."
Old 11-07-07, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
This is a canard I hear all the time, I think it's bullshit. Fast food is not particularly cheap, especially compared to home-made meals. I'd say, on average, our home-made dinners cost about $3-4 per person. That's cheaper than most anything and we eat pretty well. McD's is about twice that.

Whole Foods (which we almost never shop at) is expensive for a supermarket but still can be much cheaper than eating prepared foods. We shop mainly at mainstream supermarkets like Jewel and Dominicks, suplimented with Costco and a Korean supermarket and it's not hard to buy good quality, nutritious food for not much money. Just don't buy stuff that's clearly bad for you: not only is it going to make you fat, it's often more expensive.
Old 11-07-07, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts
Ass.

I guess my point is that obesity rates varying by ethnicity and/or economic strata are almost never mentioned on news items covering the "epidemic" while they're both blatantly obvious to the casual observer.

No matter what the truth is, the media doesn't want to take a chance of being labled "racist"!
Old 11-07-07, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
"...at the very last second, Rosie O'Donnell ruins yet another photo at the Sears Portrait Studio"
WINNER
Old 11-07-07, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HE Pennypacker
As far as that pic is concerned, who knows how the kids wound up like that. Doesn't have to be due to over-eating.
Well, it's either that or those kids have developed the ability to photosynthesize.
Old 11-07-07, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

This is a canard I hear all the time, I think it's bullshit. Fast food is not particularly cheap, especially compared to home-made meals. I'd say, on average, our home-made dinners cost about $3-4 per person. That's cheaper than most anything and we eat pretty well. McD's is about twice that.
You can feed a child for $3 from healthy OR unhealthy food you prepare yourself. You can feed a child for $3 from unhealthy prepared food. But it is more difficult to find cheap, nutritious, prepared food.

The "salads" at most cheap/fast restaurants here are atrocious. For a good salad, you need to go to a better restaurant (around here) or buy the tub of spinach yourself. Either way I end up wasting money or wasting food.

This is for meals. Snacks are an entirely different matter. A banana costs the same as a Hostess cupcake, usually.
Old 11-07-07, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by wildman1037
They forgot the most obvious benefit of more sleep...

One more hour of sleep = One less hour to eat, DUH!
They controlled for that.
Old 11-07-07, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm amazed at the number of fat kids I see these days. Not to be non-PC, but it seems to be particularly true of Hispanic kids. Judging by my completely anecdotal experience, I see more overweight Hispanic kids than normal-sized Hispanic kids.

To extend the non-PC-ness of my post, at my kids' (almost entirely white, suburban, above median income) school, the kids are almost all average sized, fat kids are very rare. However, whenever I go to somewhere public in urban Chicago (restaurant, zoo, city park etc) with kids from a "more diverse range of social and ethnic backgrounds", the kids look much, much fatter. Long story short, I definitely think obesity incidence, particularly in kids, has a lot to do with economics and ethnicity.
this is definitely true - people who dont make as much money cannot afford higher quality food and buy alot more fast food (whicih is cheaper).
Old 11-07-07, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 144 Likes on 85 Posts
Sort of brings a whole new meaning to the term "beauty sleep."
Old 11-07-07, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Well, it's either that or those kids have developed the ability to photosynthesize.
No other causes huh?
Old 11-07-07, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by HE Pennypacker
No other causes huh?
Sure there are other causes, but this epidemic is not related to other causes. Other causes probably explain around 3% tops of obese individuals. Being gluttonous explains the rest.
Old 11-07-07, 12:08 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Does anyone else cringe when the fast food commercials insist theres "Another mealtime" late at night? Commercials pass as education for the masses these days.
Old 11-07-07, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Decadance
Sure there are other causes, but this epidemic is not related to other causes. Other causes probably explain around 3% tops of obese individuals. Being gluttonous explains the rest.
Indeed, but I'd like to say it's much higher than 3%.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.