Reload this Page >

YAVRT - 2008 Saturn Outlook

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 10-30-07, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having thouroghly researched the various mid-full size SUVs out there, I have settled on the Saturn Outlook as the front-runner. Not only does it look great, but it has a huge cargo area (117 cuft. with 3rd and 2nd row seats folded) and decent power with 275hp. The cargo area is a huge plus because my wife runs a party planning business and we're always packing her sister's Explorer and her mom's Tacoma with stuff. It comes in at a base price of just under $30k, but with options could go over $40k.

Other models looked at include the Dodge Durango, the Nissan Armada, and the Nissan Murano (smaller, but still decent cargo area).

Does anyone have an Outlook? What are your thoughts? Anyone else want to chime in?

Note: I have test-driven the Armada and I like it. I have not driven any of the others. We are not actually in the market until probably June of next year - though necessity (my wife's business) may dictate a different schedule.
Old 10-30-07, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First off, I have no personal experience with the Outlook.

Now that all of Saturn's models are just badge engineered, I'm not sure why anyone even moderately skilled at negotiating would walk into a Saturn dealership. In your case, you could probably get a better deal on a Buick Enclave or GMC Acadia, which are functionally, if not cosmetically, the same as the Outlook.
Old 10-30-07, 02:31 PM

Saturn is the cheapest of the 3... what do you mean by "badge engineered"

I haven't researched the Buick, but yes the 3 vehicles are almost identicle. From what I've seen so far the Saturn has great reviews.
Old 10-30-07, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If I were pushing $40k, I would be looking at the Acura MDX
Old 10-30-07, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why not look at a used Armada or Tahoe or Sequoia? why someone would want to spend that much money on a new car is beyond me, especially given GM's depreciation compared to Toyota/Honda/Nissans
Old 10-30-07, 02:44 PM

The wife doesn't like the Sequoia or the Hondas. Aramada is definately in my top 3 choices... but the Saturn has the V6 rather than the 8 like the Armada, therefore much better gas mileage, though the added power would be a nice addition. We may check into used versions of all of these vehicles as well.
Old 10-30-07, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
What the hell? A $30k Saturn?

I like the look of the FJ Cruisers myself. They look like older Isuzus/Land Rovers and are much cheaper. Well, maybe not cheaper than an Isuzu.
Old 10-30-07, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk God

My sister bought a Nissan Murano. I was pleasantly surprised with it. Good power, appointments, and mpg compared to the Armada.
Old 10-30-07, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by kvrdave
If I were pushing $40k, I would be looking at the Acura MDX
The MDX would have to be stripped to get $40k. Plus it has about 30cuft less cargo area.

Originally Posted by the bus
What the hell? A $30k Saturn?

I like the look of the FJ Cruisers myself. They look like older Isuzus/Land Rovers and are much cheaper. Well, maybe not cheaper than an Isuzu.
The FJ has almost no cargo space! It only has 66 cuft with the seats folded flat. I do like the look of it, but it just doesn't cut it for our needs. Same thing for the Dodge Nitro, which I love the look of, but size-wise it just doesn't work.

I drove a Sequoia as well, and I liked the ride, but the seats didn't fold flat to the floor which broke up the cargo and would cause problems.

Last edited by C-Mart; 10-30-07 at 02:51 PM.
Old 10-30-07, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk God

"Stripped" in an Acura still includes heated leather seats, etc.
Old 10-30-07, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Is this a new model? If not, buy a used 2006/2007 of the same car and you will save alot of money.
Old 10-30-07, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's a new model. Badge engineered means they take the same basic vehicle and make minor cosmetic changes to it so that they can sell it as several different makes. It's primarily a cost-saving measure. The Saturn Outlook, Buick Enclave, and GMC Acadia are all the same basic vehicles.

The Saturn may have a cheaper sticker price but keep in mind that's what they'll expect you to pay (minus any rebates/trade/etc). Saturn retailers will not negotiate on the starting price but you have wiggle room with your trade.

For the person who said "a $30k Saturn?" You need to get out more. GM is taking Saturn in a slightly more upscale, more European direction targeting makes like Volkswagon. It's going to take some time to change public perception, most people still think of Saturn as plastic econo cars.

The Outlook is a beautiful, bold looking vehicle, especially in person. I would love to have one but it's hard to justify a $35,000 8 person vehicle when it's just the fiance and I.

I personally like the looks of the Acadia (slightly) better but having owned a Saturn in the past their service more than makes up for it. I'd buy the Saturn for sure. One thing I really miss is the car wash every time you take your car in for maintenance or service. I'm not sure if all retailers still do that but I think most do. I'd check or at least work that into the deal.

If you have some time go in and drive one. Saturn retailers should be low pressure. If you're not ready to buy I think most of them would respect that. Just ask them to follow up in the spring. You might be able to find a used model by then or maybe a year-end sale.

Keep in mind this is going to be a biased source but if you want more information on the Outlook a good forum to check out is http://www.saturnfans.com

Last edited by kilcher; 10-30-07 at 04:28 PM.
Old 10-30-07, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What does "YAVRT" stand for?
Old 10-30-07, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by kilcher
For the person who said "a $30k Saturn?" You need to get out more. GM is taking Saturn in a slightly more upscale, more European direction targeting makes like Volkswagon. It's going to take some time to change public perception, most people still think of Saturn as plastic econo cars.
Because it worked so well for the Pacifica and the Phateon.

It will take a decade or more for people to change their perception about Saturn, a brand that is literally plastic (and proudly advertised itself as such).

Don't get me wrong. I want the Saturn Sky and Pontiac Solstice to do well since they're produced locally and I don't want the plant shut down. But Saturn is going way outside their boundaries with a $40k car, even if it's an SUV.

Also, aren't most GM cars badge-engineered in the first place?

<hr>

Yet Another Vehicle Recommendation Thread
Old 10-30-07, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by kilcher
One thing I really miss is the car wash every time you take your car in for maintenance or service. I'm not sure if all retailers still do that but I think most do.
My mechanic does that.
Old 10-30-07, 06:30 PM

I think most cars are badge engineered.

Ford=Mercury=Mazda
Chevy=GMC=Buick=Saturn=Pontiac
Dodge=Chrysler
Acura=Honda
Toyota=Lexus

Each make has at least 1 car shared within the group.

YAVRT= Yet Another Vehicle Review/Reccomendation/Research Thread
Old 10-30-07, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by C-Mart

Ford=Mercury=Mazda
Dodge=Chrysler
Acura=Honda
Toyota=Lexus

Each make has at least 1 car shared within the group.

The whores of the car world, Isuzu, end up re-badged under various labels.
Old 10-30-07, 08:42 PM

I was trying to figure out how YAVRT could somehow mean something akin to YAMWAVT.
Old 10-30-07, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

TAAFOOC.

seriously.
Old 10-30-07, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
TAAFOOC.

seriously.

IDKWTFYATA, but whatever.
Old 10-30-07, 11:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Ford=Mercury=Mazda
Dodge=Chrysler
Acura=Honda
Toyota=Lexus
Very true.

I think you should buy the Saturn... The fact that I sell them is irrelevant.
Old 10-31-07, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You probably can negotiate a better deal on a different brand, look for 2006/2007's...extra stock, etc. Aren't Saturn dealerships known for no haggle....though in this case it doesn't help, since there is A LOT of margin built into most trucks/suvs.

Is that it's first year, if so....first year runs tend to be buggy.

How about a GMC Yukon or Yukon XL? I happen to hate big SUVs, but I've heard good things about the Yukons/Denalis.

-p
Old 10-31-07, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by pedagogue
You probably can negotiate a better deal on a different brand, look for 2006/2007's...extra stock, etc. Aren't Saturn dealerships known for no haggle....though in this case it doesn't help, since there is A LOT of margin built into most trucks/suvs.

How about a GMC Yukon or Yukon XL? I happen to hate big SUVs, but I've heard good things about the Yukons/Denalis.

-p
We've all heard good things about Yukon Denalis but I think they're outside the $30k range.
Old 10-31-07, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by pedagogue

-p
Well the Outlook/Acadia/Enclave is a 2007 model, so it has 1 year under its belt... and probably by the time we're actually ready to buy the 2009 model should be available... so I'm not worried about the buggy aspects of new models.

The Yukon (not Denali) runs $35k base with a V8, so the gas mileage suffers... then again, the Armada runs about the same cost with a bigger V8 and a bit less cargo room so a Yukon would be preferable over the Armada.

And I also have to keep my wife's tastes in mind... I know she likes the look of the Outlook and the Armada. The Durango is at the top of my list, but she doesn't like the look.

So Saturn is known for no-haggle... and you guys think that we should be able to negotiate an Acadia or Enclave ($1-$4k more expensive at the base price) down to at least the price of the Outlook? I have to say the Enclave does look nice... That could even be a tactic... "Honey the Enclave is nice, but lets just go get the Outlook, It's the same car but $5k cheaper!"
Old 10-31-07, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, the Delta plant just cut 3rd shift, so maybe you can get a decent deal since these cars don't appear to be flying off the lot.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.