Reload this Page >

I think my wife fell prey to the biggest con going in the supermarket

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-20-07, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife was standing in line behind a man with a load of groceries, and a small child. Behind my wife was another woman. I think this is the setting for the con...

The man couldn't afford all his groceries. He had a small child, and my wife and the woman behind saw that he was giving back the milk, french toast sticks, juice, etc. He pulled the heartstrings of the women standing behind him.

Lo and behold, the women congregate while on line, and decide they're going to give him $20.00 each!!!

I couldn't believe my ears when I heard this. My family is going through some tough times RIGHT NOW, and I'm going to work without a dime in my pocket for two weeks now. And my wife decides to be a good samaritan and gives a BUM $20.00. And that woman behind my wife also gives him $20.00 - so this man could buy milk and juice for his child.

Tell me, did my wife fall prey to a con, or is my wife just a sucker? (Or is she just a very nice person? Listen, just give your opinions, it really doesn't matter what you say, because my own opinion is that I want to strangle my wife.)

How the CON works: make sure two women are behind you in line.
Old 10-20-07, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That would have to be the stupidest con in the world.

And your wife's reaction? Pretty damn Christian, IMO.
Old 10-20-07, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know if it's a con or not but it will be after I borrow my neighbor's kid.
Old 10-20-07, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
That's why you do self-checkout.
Old 10-20-07, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

F' that noise.

People try and make your feel uncomfortable and I call them on their shit.

-p

Last edited by NotThatGuy; 10-20-07 at 08:05 PM.
Old 10-20-07, 07:18 PM

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
I have two small kids. I'm going to try this. Except at Best Buy. With a cartful of video games and DVDs.
Old 10-20-07, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Buttmunker
This would be difficult to guarantee...having women behind you in line.

Have you considered the woman behind your wife might have been in on the con too?! She probably initiated the dialogue to contribute to the man's 'need'
Old 10-20-07, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
My wife was standing in line behind a man with a load of groceries, and a small child. Behind my wife was another woman. I think this is the setting for the con...

The man couldn't afford all his groceries. He had a small child, and my wife and the woman behind saw that he was giving back the milk, french toast sticks, juice, etc. He pulled the heartstrings of the women standing behind him.

Lo and behold, the women congregate while on line, and decide they're going to give him $20.00 each!!!

I couldn't believe my ears when I heard this. My family is going through some tough times RIGHT NOW, and I'm going to work without a dime in my pocket for two weeks now. And my wife decides to be a good samaritan and gives a BUM $20.00. And that woman behind my wife also gives him $20.00 - so this man could buy milk and juice for his child.

Tell me, did my wife fall prey to a con, or is my wife just a sucker? (Or is she just a very nice person? Listen, just give your opinions, it really doesn't matter what you say, because my own opinion is that I want to strangle my wife.)

it could have been a con or he seriously might not have been able to afford food. i know if i accidentally forgot my money (never happened but it easily could) i would be there putting things back because i couldnt buy them.

did he ask the ladies for money or did they just offer out of the blue?

and i dont see how you can make sure you have 2 women behind you in line. how do you predict who will come up behind you?
Old 10-20-07, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
Since it's not possible to know if this was indeed a con:

1) Sorry that you're going to work w/o a dime.
2) You should be damn glad to be married to a woman with big heart.
3) Okay, that big heart might not be for you but, at least, it does exist.
Old 10-20-07, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
This would be difficult to guarantee...having women behind you in line.

Have you considered the woman behind your wife might have been in on the con too?! She probably initiated the dialogue to contribute to the man's 'need'
I found out later that the woman behind my wife actually gave $30 instead of $20. So, essentially, if they were together in the con, they achieved twenty dollars from a woman with "a big heart." blah.

And you're right, TomOpus, my wife might have that big heart we all hear about, but not towards me. "Oh, we're on a budget," and hands me a bag-lunch. Yet she gives some poor slob money we can't afford to give.

Christianity has some flaws towards husbands, it seems.
Old 10-20-07, 08:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NCMojo

I concur.....

While I understand you being pissed, that was really a nice thing to do.... think of it this way either way the guy needed the money and probably was honestly just short.

I almost did something similar once but it was a woman and it was only around $8 but the woman put back milk and cereal and kept cigarettes and doritos.
Old 10-20-07, 08:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by atari2600
and i dont see how you can make sure you have 2 women behind you in line. how do you predict who will come up behind you?
Easy.... rudely cut in front of them.
Old 10-20-07, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I vote con. I think if it was on the level, most would have just offered to buy the milk, not give them a 20.
Old 10-20-07, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I once had someone give me like $2-$3 to cover something something I bought. I was picking up groceries and didn't have my CC's on me.

I wasn't trying to con them.

-p
Old 10-20-07, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Seems like a weak con, if it's a con at all. I understand how you feel slighted by your wife forcing budgetary woes upon you, but in today's world where all we hear about is nastiness and evil perpetrated on our fellow man, this is a true act of kindness. I applaud your wife and hope that her unselfish act was indeed not towards a con.
Old 10-20-07, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The most I ever did to help someone in front of me in line is offer them my "savings card" to be swiped, so she or he could reap the benefits of saving two cents off a bar of soap, or some such.

I agree, Bronkster - I hope the generousity wasn't given in vain, towards a con.

And yeah! Why didn't my wife just offer to buy the milk and juice?! What the hell cost $50.00?! (the grand total of what was given by my wife and the lady from behind.)

I wouldn't have been so miffted if she had just given a fiver. "Here, buy your kid his milk." Look, she's not there to help support his family, she's there to help support mine!

Personally, I think I was the one conned - by my own wife! (just kidding)

Last edited by Buttmunker; 10-20-07 at 08:29 PM.
Old 10-20-07, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If something as minor as this makes you want to "strangle your wife", there might be some other issues there to look into.

(just sayin')
Old 10-20-07, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think this thread is a con designed to get us to PayPal money to Buttmunker. "Oh, boo hoo! Buttmunker has no money and his wife is giving what little cash he has away to a con man! Let me help this poor guy by sending him $20 to make up for what his wife gave away!"
Old 10-20-07, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
Old 10-20-07, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Did she offer to fix his car?
Old 10-20-07, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Groucho
I have two small kids. I'm going to try this. Except at Best Buy. With a cartful of video games and DVDs.
Great, some of us don't even have one kid to try this con with, and you've got two. I guess I'm going to have to put back Motorstorm, Red Dawn: Special Edition, Halo 3...
Old 10-20-07, 09:26 PM
Premium Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Your wife is having an affair with this man and he was buying the double-sided discs of Gilligan's Island
Old 10-20-07, 09:30 PM

1. Even if it was a con, your wife's intentions were good and she proved herself to be a generous, giving person. The good feeling was probably worth $20.

2. She could have proved the same thing by just buying his milk or whatever.

3. If she had done that, the conman would have just gotten away with a free gallon of milk, so the second woman was probably involved in the scam as a "convincer" to get cash money out of their mark. I'm assuming he and she both bought groceries so, if it was a scam, it wasn't a very lucrative one.

4. Christianity has nothing to do with any of this. I help people out like this all the time, and it doesn't have anything to do with my religion, or lack thereof.
Old 10-20-07, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Did she fall for the white van with the extra speakers from a job too? I love that one..and thats the only con I ever almost fell for (when I was 16)
Old 10-20-07, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by NCMojo

yep...

pretty well sums it up...

i don't see a con here...

that glass is half full...

and... i guess... you're getting screwed with the sack lunches...

so it's all good...

or something...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.