Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

GOOD / AFFORDABLE Hotel in NYC ? (So I can propose to my girlfriend!)

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

GOOD / AFFORDABLE Hotel in NYC ? (So I can propose to my girlfriend!)

Old 10-17-07, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

GOOD Hotel in NYC ?? (So I can propose to my girlfriend!) DEC 21 - DEC 23

*** UPDATE November 18th 2007***

Hello again everyone!

Well I'll cut to the chase! I am going to propose to my girlfriend in December in New York City. I am going to do it on top of the Observation Deck at Rockefeller Center! The view there is amazing, the building is beautiful, and it's not as crowded or crammed as the ESB.

I have the ring setting picked out, I have the place picked out, now I just need somewhere to stay!

I LOVE the city, but am not an expert. I need a nice hotel that would be suitable for the occasion, at a REASONABLE price! I did a quick search and the lowest I saw was $400+ a night. That's fine with me! I want this weekend to be special!

I'd love some of your recommendations on:

Places you've stayed
Hotels you think would be ideal for this type of weekend
Hotels with a GREAT view
Any other thoughts you have on the issue!

I am looking at the weekend of December 21st, 22nd and checking out Sunday December 23rd

*** UPDATE ***

Hey all!

Well, a few more days left till I talk to her parents! We'll be in Michigan from Wed night till Sunday morning. So I'll get her Aunt (or another family member) to distract her on Friday and take her out somewhere. Then I'll take her parents out to lunch and ask them permission to marry their daughter.

I'll fill them in on my elaborate plan, and I'm sure they'll think it's a great idea!

If all goes well, we'll be in NYC right before Christmas and I'll come back the happiest I've ever been!

THANKS IN ADVANCE !

Last edited by Sominex; 11-19-07 at 10:46 PM.
Old 10-17-07, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Priceline....they have whole websites that track pricing. You can find some great deals with some 'net research.

Also......you may want to take a cue from these people..

-p
Old 10-17-07, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by pedagogue
Priceline....they have whole websites that track pricing. You can find some great deals with some 'net research.

Also......you may want to take a cue from these people..

-p

Hey, that reminds me! Biddingfortravel.com!!

I used it to get a Pittsburgh hotel once and it worked out GREAT. *smacking my head* CAN'T BELIEVE I FORGOT THAT!
Old 10-18-07, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

There is the one with the crazy lady (BFT), and then a couple other competing forums. I haven't used those kind of websites in years, but they can save you some serious money if you know what you are doing.

-p
Old 10-18-07, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've used this site a few times with positive results:

http://www.betterbidding.com/
Old 10-18-07, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

how much did you want to spend? also check out hotels in hoboken. for like a $1 you can take the path train into the city which is like a 15 minute ride

http://www.panynj.gov/CommutingTrave.../html/map.html

i've had family stay at Hotel Pennsylvania on 8th and 34th and it was affordable
Old 10-18-07, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by al_bundy
how much did you want to spend? also check out hotels in hoboken. for like a $1 you can take the path train into the city which is like a 15 minute ride

http://www.panynj.gov/CommutingTrave.../html/map.html

i've had family stay at Hotel Pennsylvania on 8th and 34th and it was affordable
Yep, what he said.
Secaucus, NJ is another... it's right outside the Lincoln Tunnel.
Old 10-18-07, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Sominex
I was going to fly out to MI (where she is from) and ask her parents permission first.
So what's your contingency plan?

Old 10-18-07, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Septemberbaby
Yep, what he said.
Secaucus, NJ is another... it's right outside the Lincoln Tunnel.
is there a PATH in secaucus? parking is very expensive in manhattan
Old 10-18-07, 08:06 AM

"Honey, I spared no expense in making our engagement special!"

(six months later she finds this thread)

*boom*
Old 10-18-07, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by al_bundy
is there a PATH in secaucus? parking is very expensive in manhattan
Good question.. to be honest, I don't know. I haven't lived in that part of NJ for years... I know he can take a bus. Or taxi. I would call the hotel and ask them what means of mass transit is available. The larger hotels may offer shuttles.
Old 10-18-07, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
"Honey, I spared no expense in making our engagement special!"

(six months later she finds this thread)

*boom*

It's not like I posted a thread called "I need som piece of shit hourly motel so I can sleep somewhere after I give my girlfriend a ring"

hehehheeh

I am actually going to park at a train station in Central Jersey and take the NJT train into NYC. Then take the subway and taxis to get around in the city.

Biddingfortravel lists some good deals, but I don't know which is a GOOD section to stay in. They have about 4 or 5 different "sections" to choose from. Like I said... I love the city, but am no expert on it.

Thanks all... keep the suggestions, ideas and tips coming!
Old 10-18-07, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am actually going to park at a train station in Central Jersey and take the NJT train into NYC. Then take the subway and taxis to get around in the city.
Biddingfortravel lists some good deals, but I don't know which is a GOOD section to stay in. They have about 4 or 5 different "sections" to choose from. Like I said... I love the city, but am no expert on it.
Thanks all... keep the suggestions, ideas and tips coming!
MetroPark in Iselin, NJ. There is a Hilton that's supposed to be pretty nice in nearby Woodbridge. It's on Rt. 1. You can easily take a cab (or maybe they offer shuttles?) to the train station that's less than 5 miles away.
Old 10-18-07, 10:05 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Me and the mrs are staying in the giraffe in December
the giraffe and the library are rated very high on tripadvisor.

And are around $400 per night. If you went a week later prices drop I think..

Oddly enough cheap nights/weekends are thanksgiving weekend, and the week before christmas.
Old 10-18-07, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

i believe they lock all the libraries at night and kick out all the homeless people into shelters. and libraries don't have showers
Old 10-18-07, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Seriously, bid for a hotel on priceline.com

You choose which part of the city you want to bid on. You select the star level. You put in a price and it will either be accepted by a hotel or decline. If you're declined, simply close the browser and do it again because last time I did it if I was declined that option was grayed out.

Last time I needed a hotel I got a $200 3* Hyatt room in a medium city for $60 and a $300 4* Marriot in D.C., 4 star hotel for $90. Seriously- it's non-refundable, but you get great hotels for rock bottom prices, much better deals than anything advertised or published on hotels.com, travelocity, or even the regular prices on priceline.

Last edited by GradVT06; 10-18-07 at 10:36 AM.
Old 10-18-07, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GradVT06
Seriously, bid for a hotel on priceline.com

You choose which part of the city you want to bid on. You select the star level. You put in a price and it will either be accepted by a hotel or decline. If you're declined, simply close the browser and do it again because last time I did it if I was declined that option was grayed out.

Last time I needed a hotel I got a $200 3* Hyatt room in a medium city for $60 and a $300 4* Marriot in D.C., 4 star hotel for $90. Seriously- it's non-refundable, but you get great hotels for rock bottom prices, much better deals than anything advertised or published on hotels.com, travelocity, or even the regular prices on priceline.

Absolutely! I did this for Pittsburgh a while ago and was very pleased with the Hotel and the process.

I am just confused on WHICH part of NYC to stay in. If anyone has any suggestions, that'd be great.

If any girls have any tips of words of advice from THEIR point of view, please let me know. Guys... if any of you have been in my shoes, please share your tips with me.

I am rock solid in this... but I do have 1 or 2 butterflies in my stomach

Oh wait... why hasn't anyone chimed in for pics yet? The one times I have some set aside, and no one asked? Come on people... YOUR SLACKIN'!
Old 10-19-07, 04:05 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

First, congrats!

Second: Hotels are going to be a problem, possibly even with Priceline. These are just really bad dates in NYC. Hotwire, a similar service, has next-to-nothing. The best thing Hotwire has for 12/7-9 is what appears to be the Embassy Suites NYC (a 4* in the downtown area) for a tad over $400. Yikes.

I could be wrong (unfortunately I don't think I am), but given the rates I'm seeing for 4* properties (high $400s and many $500-600+), I think you're going to have to bid up to $300 for a 4* and almost certainly North of that (I'd start at $250 for a 4* in Midtown East/Midtown West/Midtown South and Upper Midtown/CPS and work upwards if that wasn't accepted, which - sadly I don't think it will be). Also, that's if there's any Priceline inventory to begin with. Given that Hotwire has next-to-nothing, I'm thinking that neither does Priceline.

May I suggest Chicago, where you could get a 4* for around $100-150 (or a bit more if you wanted to ensure someplace nicer) on these same dates? The Fairmont in Chicago is $199 regular rate on 12/7-9, for example.

Boston is also very cheap on these dates (Hotwire has 4*'s in Boston for around $100) Vegas is cheap. Miami, too. So are LA (4*'s under $100) and San Diego. All these places where the hotel bill for the weekend would still probably be less than a night in Manhattan.

Okay, lets say that hotel was the big part of the weekend. Well, for the same or less than what you're going to spend in NYC, you could get (a few examples)

The 4.5* Boston Harbor Hotel ($340)
The 4.5* US Grant Hotel in downtown San Diego ($250)
Junior Suite W/River View @ Westin Copley Place, Boston ($259 - non-refundable 20% off deal)
Sofitel Chicago - $265.50 NR. (#1 hotel in Chicago on tripadvisor)
Hotel Nikko San Francisco - $204
5* St. Regis San Francisco - $311
4* Jurys Hotel Boston - $295 (#1 hotel in Boston on tripadvisor)
5* Ritz Carlton Naples, FL $299
4* Presidente InterContinental Cozumel Resort & Spa in Mexico - $259 for Ocean view.
The 4* Marriott Niagara Falls (which is right next to the falls, and rooms have some pretty astonishing views.) About $159 a night to start.
http://www.niagarafallsmarriott.com/...onight_package

If you want to be outside a major city, the Greenbrier in WV is $339 for these dates.

Greenbrier from Frommers:
Since 1778, visitors have trooped to the town of White Sulphur Springs to restore their health in the curative waters that flow from the town's spring. Today, the spring in question is the centerpiece of The Greenbrier, 300 W. Main St. (tel. 800/453-4858; www.greenbrier.com), a magnificent 6,500-acre resort that is rich in both history (it's hosted 26 presidents) and luxury.

Once the most fashionable summer resort in the South where Robert E. Lee built a summer home, it was forced to close during the Civil War when, depending on which side was occupying the property, it served as a hospital or as a military headquarters. At the end of the war the resort once again rose to prominence, only to switch identities once more during World War II, when it was purchased by the U.S. Army and turned into a hospital. Following the war, the building was transformed into a luxury resort by noted designer Dorothy Draper (the exterior of the magnificent Georgian main building strongly resembles the White House), and counted the legendary Sam Snead as its golf pro (establishing the resort as a premiere golf destination) until his death in 2002.

But perhaps the most interesting bit of Greenbrier history is this: In the 1950s, the government built a secret underground Emergency Relocation Center under the resort that, for nearly 30 years, was maintained to serve as the emergency location of Congress should an international crisis ever force the legislative branch out of Washington. The shelter was finally closed down in 1995 (you can tour it along with other notable portions of this National Historic Landmark's interior and grounds on guided tours).

Today a stay at The Greenbrier features luxurious accommodations, unbelievable service, first-class dining, and an amazing array of recreational activities, ranging from the Falconry Academy and Golf Digest Academy to state-of-the-art fitness and tennis centers and a world-renowned spa. There's also a specialized diagnostic and health evaluation clinic. The resort renovates each of its guest rooms at least once every 4 years, which means that all of them -- from the small but elegant standard rooms to the two-bedroom cottages -- are exquisitely decorated and kept in tiptop condition. Don't miss having at least one meal in the elegant main dining room, renowned for its classical cuisine.

Additionally, here are two Starwood (W, Sheraton, Westin) deals that may help you out in cities other than NYC:

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/promot...?promoCode=Z2H (Stay 2 days, 20%)

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/promot...?promoCode=Z3H (2 Nights, Get 1 Free)

The other thing to consider when you are booking is that while Hotwire and Priceline will save you a lot, a hotel may be more willing to work with you on the special occasion if you are paying regular rate.

You know, I understand that you want to do this in NYC and you probably have your heart set on it, but I just wanted to throw out some ideas for cheaper (so you're not spending an arm and a leg on hotel, so you can use money for a nice dinner or see a play or whatever you like - the money can be used towards the whole weekend experience and not just the hotel room) big cities where there'd still be a lot of memorable places to propose.

I love NYC as much as anyone else, I'm just saying consider some other options.

Oh, and...pics?

Last edited by dvdmovie1; 10-19-07 at 06:42 AM.
Old 10-19-07, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, depends on what you want but I would stay downtown... My wife works down by Battery Park now (as opposed to the UES) and I didnt realize how nice it was down there. Now the weather will be more of an issue down there (but hell if weather stays the same, you will be in shorts and t-shirts) as its a few degrees cooler and windier. But to me, thats the best area right now to come and stay.
Old 10-20-07, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dvdmovie1
First, congrats!

Second: Hotels are going to be a problem, possibly even with Priceline. These are just really bad dates in NYC. Hotwire, a similar service, has next-to-nothing. The best thing Hotwire has for 12/7-9 is what appears to be the Embassy Suites NYC (a 4* in the downtown area) for a tad over $400. Yikes.

Thank YOU so much for that post! I am actually completly worn out and drained from this weekend! And tomorrow me and my girl are catching a flight for my birthday cruise So I need to sit down and read your post more in depth when we get back. Thanks for taking the time to give me all that input. I will read it after our cruise and then give you a follow up.

I'll tell you this, you definitely gave me some new perspective! Talk with you soon and have a great week!
Old 10-21-07, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I love helping with hotel research, especially when it comes to occasions when someone wants to "impress" - an anniversary, proposal, etc.

There's still nothing for NYC on Hotwire for these dates, leading me to think Priceline isn't going to be much better. You may be able to snag a 4* in NYC for these dates via Priceline, but at what cost? You could start out @ $250, but I think - in all likelyhood - you're looking at over $300 and possibly well over $300.

Again, I love NYC, but you are also paying $250-300+ (and that's if a bid is even accepted) for a hotel you aren't choosing and while NYC has some terrific 4* hotels, there are some not-so-hot 4*'s in Midtown, as well.

I just thought if you want to go the Priceline/Hotwire route, go to a nice big city where rates are much cheaper for those dates. Boston still has a 4* for $105 for these dates.

And, like I said above, if hotel is "the" thing and you want to go all out, you could could get more for your money (such as some 5* hotels) elsewhere, or you could get a 4* room somewhere with a view upgrade - which I think would be really nice in setting a mood.

The other thing is, the majority of the non-Hotwire/Priceline suggestions I offered are regular reservations, so they would be refundable (although check the fine print) if something were to happen where you had to switch dates. Additionally, as mentioned, if you paid full price, the hotel may be more willing to work with you on creating a special weekend.

Have fun on your cruise and I'd be happy to help when you get back.
Old 11-16-07, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dvdmovie1
I love helping with hotel research, especially when it comes to occasions when someone wants to "impress" - an anniversary, proposal, etc.

There's still nothing for NYC on Hotwire for these dates, leading me to think Priceline isn't going to be much better. You may be able to snag a 4* in NYC for these dates via Priceline, but at what cost? You could start out @ $250, but I think - in all likelyhood - you're looking at over $300 and possibly well over $300.

Again, I love NYC, but you are also paying $250-300+ (and that's if a bid is even accepted) for a hotel you aren't choosing and while NYC has some terrific 4* hotels, there are some not-so-hot 4*'s in Midtown, as well.

I just thought if you want to go the Priceline/Hotwire route, go to a nice big city where rates are much cheaper for those dates. Boston still has a 4* for $105 for these dates.

And, like I said above, if hotel is "the" thing and you want to go all out, you could could get more for your money (such as some 5* hotels) elsewhere, or you could get a 4* room somewhere with a view upgrade - which I think would be really nice in setting a mood.

The other thing is, the majority of the non-Hotwire/Priceline suggestions I offered are regular reservations, so they would be refundable (although check the fine print) if something were to happen where you had to switch dates. Additionally, as mentioned, if you paid full price, the hotel may be more willing to work with you on creating a special weekend.

Have fun on your cruise and I'd be happy to help when you get back.

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

Thanks everyone! It's been a hectic month since the cruise. I got sick, sprained (re-sprained) my ankle, and I've been a mess since then. Not sure what I was sick with, but I am almost at a 100% now.

Thank you all so much for chiming in. I've made a decision about the hotel. I do want to stay in NYC because I think the Rockefeller Center Obersrvation Deck is the perfect place to propose to her.

But I got to thinking.... This is the only time I'll be proposing. So if I have to spend more, what do I care? It's going to be a special weekend for BOTH of us, and I might as well, MAKE IT AS SPECIAL as I can. If I look back in 5 years, I'll be happier I spent an extra $200 - $300 to make it even nicer.

So any ideas you guys have would be great. I found some hotels on Expedia that are around $400 a night for Friday 12/14 and Saturday 12/15, but they don't get very good reviews.

I was thinking in terms of "AREAS" to stay in. How about someone outside Times Square or near Rockefeller Center?

And I'll be needing a very cool Italian Restaurant to celebrate after the "Big Moment" So, any ideas? I'd love someone quaint, out of the way, and cool.

Thanks again everyone! As soon as I made a decision on the ring, I'll post a picture for everyone! And one of her
Old 11-16-07, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

This is the only time I'll be proposing.

Old 11-16-07, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus

Bus! Long time no talk buddy!

I can't have you making me laugh while I am trying to do serious research... no matter how funny I may find your comments and pics
Old 11-16-07, 01:42 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

I'll go with my original suggestion then

http://www.hotelgiraffe.com/index.asp

http://www.libraryhotel.com/

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.