Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

I'm in line, so you get in line too...

Other Talk "Otterville"

I'm in line, so you get in line too...

Old 10-15-07, 09:52 AM
  #1  
Suspended
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,789
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm in line, so you get in line too...

I do not let traffic make me mad. It's frustrating, sure. But I don't yell at cars or beat on my steering wheel or anything like that. I've got an iPod with 11 days worth of music on it, so I'm set. I just want to get to work eventually.

But if there's one pet peeve I have about traffic, it's the jerkoffs who think they don't have to wait in line with everyone else.

Say you're in a lane that leads to an offramp, and that lane of traffic is backed up while the thru traffic lanes are flowing smoothly. Well I do what you're supposed to do, which is just get into the turn lane and wait. Well there's always a collection of impatient ninnies who think that they don't have to wait (they're usually in big stupid trucks or Escalades or minivans), so they zip up to the last possible place where they can merge into the turn lane and then bully their way in.

They wouldn't do this in a bank or at an amusement park. But in a car? Sure. Cause they're big and bad and have places to go and people to be rude to. Jerkoffs.
Old 10-15-07, 09:54 AM
  #2  
Admin
 
VinVega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Herding cats
Posts: 34,710
Received 299 Likes on 193 Posts
That's why you should always keep a handgun in the car. Don't let them drive around with poor road etiquette!
Old 10-15-07, 09:56 AM
  #3  
Enormous Genitals
 
Bandoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Posts: 34,820
Received 199 Likes on 117 Posts
This really pisses me off. And I love it when they pull up next to you, roll down the window and point in front of you, and then get mad when you don't let them in as if YOU'RE the jerk for refusing their "polite" request to cut in line.
Old 10-15-07, 10:02 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,397
Received 91 Likes on 66 Posts
When I see someone do this I just pull up as close to the bumper of the car in front of me so they won't have any space to attempt to cut in.
Old 10-15-07, 10:03 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend
 
wishbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 21,273
Likes: 0
Received 115 Likes on 75 Posts
This goes hand-in-hand with street notifications and illuminated arrows that indicate that a lane will end and vehicles need to merge. Usually someone will proceed to the end and except to merge there rather than getting in line and waiting through slow traffic.
Old 10-15-07, 10:12 AM
  #6  
Admin
 
VinVega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Herding cats
Posts: 34,710
Received 299 Likes on 193 Posts
Originally Posted by movieguru
When I see someone do this I just pull up as close to the bumper of the car in front of me so they won't have any space to attempt to cut in.
I usually do the same. Don't tell me you weren't aware of the traffic patterns. You were just trying to cheat your way in. The rest of the world has to adjust to you eh?
Old 10-15-07, 10:12 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Columbia, MD, USA
Posts: 11,211
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I wouldn't have a problem with a driver who just drove into an empty space. Sometimes with slower traffic, particularly with larger vehicles like tractor trailers, there's these huge gaps and you can change lanes into. So if there's an empty space, that's fine. But if they're forcing their way over, where someone has to let them in or they have to slow down and hold up whatever lane they're in in order to merge over, than yeah they suck.
Old 10-15-07, 10:13 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Vibiana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 15,927
Received 395 Likes on 191 Posts
I just let 'em in. Life's too short. And yeah, they're rude jerks. But letting them in gets them out of my way, at least.
Old 10-15-07, 10:15 AM
  #9  
Suspended
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,789
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jericho
I wouldn't have a problem with a driver who just drove into an empty space. Sometimes with slower traffic, particularly with larger vehicles like tractor trailers, there's these huge gaps and you can change lanes into. So if there's an empty space, that's fine. But if they're forcing their way over, where someone has to let them in or they have to slow down and hold up whatever lane they're in in order to merge over, than yeah they suck.
That's the thing though... people zip around the slower traffic banking on there being one of those gaps, because they're too busy to wait like the rest of us. So when it turns out there aren't any gaps, they stop the lane that they're in as well and start bullying their way into the turn lane.

I do the same thing as some of you have mentioned. I stay as close to the person in front of me as possible.
Old 10-15-07, 10:15 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Puyallup
Posts: 16,429
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
I do not let traffic make me mad. It's frustrating, sure. But I don't yell at cars or beat on my steering wheel or anything like that. I've got an iPod with 11 days worth of music on it, so I'm set. I just want to get to work eventually.

But if there's one pet peeve I have about traffic, it's the jerkoffs who think they don't have to wait in line with everyone else.

Say you're in a lane that leads to an offramp, and that lane of traffic is backed up while the thru traffic lanes are flowing smoothly. Well I do what you're supposed to do, which is just get into the turn lane and wait. Well there's always a collection of impatient ninnies who think that they don't have to wait (they're usually in big stupid trucks or Escalades or minivans), so they zip up to the last possible place where they can merge into the turn lane and then bully their way in.

They wouldn't do this in a bank or at an amusement park. But in a car? Sure. Cause they're big and bad and have places to go and people to be rude to. Jerkoffs.
Yeah I hate those people too, and never let them in. They usually end up yelling at me, and I give them a sarcastic wave.

heh.
Old 10-15-07, 10:18 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Hoboken, NJ
Posts: 3,068
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Or the people who drive on shoulders during major traffic jams.

My brother used to throw nickels out his window at those cars as they'd speed by.
Old 10-15-07, 10:21 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Puyallup
Posts: 16,429
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Birrman54
Or the people who drive on shoulders during major traffic jams.

My brother used to throw nickels out his window at those cars as they'd speed by.

I saw this happen once.....and then a cop car pull out right after this guy.

Considering the cop had to sit in traffic too, he was not too pleased.
Old 10-15-07, 10:27 AM
  #13  
Admin
 
VinVega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Herding cats
Posts: 34,710
Received 299 Likes on 193 Posts
Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
That's the thing though... people zip around the slower traffic banking on there being one of those gaps, because they're too busy to wait like the rest of us. So when it turns out there aren't any gaps, they stop the lane that they're in as well and start bullying their way into the turn lane.
In a way they are adding to the slowness by forcing cars that are already slow to brake even more to let them in. It's a vicious cycle, but the cycle breaks with me mister! Thou shall not pass!
Old 10-15-07, 10:41 AM
  #14  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 37,453
Received 475 Likes on 305 Posts
I try not to let them in, but I'll admit that occassionally I have cut into the line myself, though never at the last possible moment. There are a few spots on my commute where I don't realize that traffic is backing up for the off-ramp until I've already started passing cars that are stopped. I try to find a big gap to slide in and then wait my turn.

The one that gets me is a particular part where there is a lane that is merging into another lane. Most people get over quickly, so we are sitting there stopped and there's a wide open lane next to us, but we all know it ends in a couple hundred feet so it's not worth moving over in to.

However, I regularly see people hop out of line and into that lane, toodle down to the point where it merges and then force their way back in. It's usually a taxi cab or small car too.

I don't let them in myself, but inevitably the person behind me does. Goddamn "Minnesota Nice" shit needs to go.
Old 10-15-07, 10:42 AM
  #15  
DVD Talk Legend
 
bunkaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Chicago West Suburbs
Posts: 15,888
Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
I knew exactly what this thread was about before I clicked it.

I hate it too. I have a fairly nice car so I try not to get to adventurous with blocking people.

But I swear someday I am going to buy an old beater, put steel rails around it, and just start ramming everyone I see that drives like an ass. That or I need to move out of a metro area.
Old 10-15-07, 10:49 AM
  #16  
DVD Talk God
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 86,189
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Traffic? Around here that means there are two cars in front of me at the stop sign. I just pull out my book from the glove compartment. Already got the crayons in the ash tray, and I go to town, baby!
Old 10-15-07, 10:58 AM
  #17  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: On the banks of the Red Cedar
Posts: 9,864
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by movieguru
When I see someone do this I just pull up as close to the bumper of the car in front of me so they won't have any space to attempt to cut in.
Me too, but me second peeve is the cars further up that don't close formation and let the jerk in (like Vib) !
Old 10-15-07, 11:04 AM
  #18  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 14,204
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Vibiana
I just let 'em in. Life's too short. And yeah, they're rude jerks. But letting them in gets them out of my way, at least.
But Vib, don't you see... it's all your fault. These assholes are zipping up to the front of the line and barging in because they know that there's gonna be somebody like you who'll blow them a kiss and let them swing into line without waiting. If everybody shut these jerks out, they'd stop their asanine behavior -- which, as Vin noted, is what makes the line so long in the first place!

And have you noticed that these line-breakers are always rich guys with bad toupees in expensive sports cars? They're used to always getting valet parking, VIP seats, express services... why should they have to sit and wait like the common folks on the highway? To the front of the line, Jeeves!

Old 10-15-07, 11:21 AM
  #19  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Somerville, MA
Posts: 3,879
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I fucking hate assholes who drive like that, but I live and work near Boston, and it's standard operating procedure to drive like that or get left in the dust. I got rid of my car a year ago, and just take the trains now, and it is so much better, not to have to deal with the douchebags on the roads anymore.
Old 10-15-07, 11:26 AM
  #20  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 16,171
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post


Don't get me started on asshole driving habits.

NOTHING is worse than the rolling roadblock assholes, which are usually minivan and SUV drivers that insist on going the same exact speed in every lane on the highway for miles.

The cut off turn lane asshole is no where near as bad as the rolling road block asshole.

If the person to the right of you is either going faster than you or going the same exact speed as you, please move over behind them accordingly and let the rest of the world pass continue on.

Thanks!
Old 10-15-07, 11:31 AM
  #21  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Somerville, MA
Posts: 3,879
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also hate motorcyclists who will just drive in between the lanes of cars when there is a huge jam on the highway. One time I moved my car over and blocked one of these pricks, so he could not pass, and he had the balls to get off his bike, and start pounding on my window. I wish anyone who has ever done this on a bike falls off when they are riding at 70mph, that will teach them.
Old 10-15-07, 11:42 AM
  #22  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Puyallup
Posts: 16,429
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh the dumbass drivers who decide to make 'sure' that the rest of us are doing the speed limit, by going 60 in the fast lane.
Old 10-15-07, 11:43 AM
  #23  
X
Administrator
 
X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1987
Location: AA-
Posts: 10,948
Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
There's a freeway entrance near me where this happens all the time and it drives me crazy. I've thought the solution would be to put something some kind of barrier between the lanes as they get close to the freeway entrance. Preferably tire-blowing strips.
Old 10-15-07, 11:48 AM
  #24  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Vibiana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 15,927
Received 395 Likes on 191 Posts
Originally Posted by NCMojo
But Vib, don't you see... it's all your fault. These assholes are zipping up to the front of the line and barging in because they know that there's gonna be somebody like you who'll blow them a kiss and let them swing into line without waiting. If everybody shut these jerks out, they'd stop their asanine behavior -- which, as Vin noted, is what makes the line so long in the first place!
Mea maximum culpa, Father. I have sinned. Please send Bando over to my place with a quill feather and a bullwhip.
Old 10-15-07, 11:50 AM
  #25  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Columbia, MD, USA
Posts: 11,211
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
That's the thing though... people zip around the slower traffic banking on there being one of those gaps, because they're too busy to wait like the rest of us. So when it turns out there aren't any gaps, they stop the lane that they're in as well and start bullying their way into the turn lane.

I do the same thing as some of you have mentioned. I stay as close to the person in front of me as possible.
Yeah, I see your point. My theory, if you risk trying to zip around and you fail, they you should just have to keep driving and miss your exit Of course people don't actually drive like that, but I think they should.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.