Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

How to create more sales for my business?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 10-04-07, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need some advice.

I run a small motorcycle apparel/parts shop (mostly online). With the economy the way it is - the owner is pressuring me into finding new ways to bring sales/customers.

We do all the normal things - we give great deals, we do print magazine ads and have top online search engine listings. Right now - nothing is working. What are some basic/not so basic things that could help my internet business? I'd hate to call it quits.

I know you guys give some great advise on all topics. Hopefully I can get into the right direction - because I'm lost.
Old 10-04-07, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Biker clubs.....and bars. Get hot chicks with nice tits to....I dunno, just get them, and them take pictures, and then I'll tell you what to do next.

-p
Old 10-04-07, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by pedagogue
Biker clubs.....and bars. Get hot chicks with nice tits to....I dunno, just get them, and then POST pictures, and then I'll tell you what to do next.
Fixed.
Old 10-04-07, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by jmanlakerfan
I need some advice.

I run a small motorcycle apparel/parts shop (mostly online). With the economy the way it is - the owner is pressuring me into finding new ways to bring sales/customers.

We do all the normal things - we give great deals, we do print magazine ads and have top online search engine listings. Right now - nothing is working. What are some basic/not so basic things that could help my internet business? I'd hate to call it quits.

I know you guys give some great advise on all topics. Hopefully I can get into the right direction - because I'm lost.
Do you sell on Ebay? Even if you only sell a few items a week you can slip your web site address on the Ebay ad and hopefully draw in a few more customers that way that weren't lucky enough to win the current auction..

Just a thought.
Old 10-04-07, 07:03 PM

SEX sells
Old 10-04-07, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
-10.00 off anything coupon always worked for me, with free shipping.

Old 10-04-07, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
spam forums*

*not this one though
Old 10-04-07, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Step 1. Own Bike Shop
Step 2. ?????
Step 3. Profit

Seems pretty obvious to me.
Old 10-04-07, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Do theme bikes with your parts, then score a cable show.
Old 10-04-07, 07:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by General Zod
Do you sell on Ebay? Even if you only sell a few items a week you can slip your web site address on the Ebay ad and hopefully draw in a few more customers that way that weren't lucky enough to win the current auction..

Just a thought.
my old company did that and it is a way to bring in new customers and hopefully repeat business. You gotta be careful not to piss off existing customers who might have paid more for something thru your site but also be competitive on ebay. My old employer used a different name company for his ebay business but it was all pretty thinly veiled as to whom you were really buying from. We would also go to trade shows and conventions related to our business, I would think Motorcycle rallys and the like would work for you... Get some cool T-Shirts to sell hand out flyers with a % discount for ordering on the website when they get home and have a few good deals on some normally high margin items at your booth. BTW I am looking for work so I could start immediately.
Old 10-04-07, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

You gotta be careful not to piss off existing customers who might have paid more for something thru your site but also be competitive on ebay.
I cant imagine this really being an issue. Most people expect business may have an ebay outlet now days.
Old 10-04-07, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you have a physical location, host rides, sponsor rallys, etc., which finish up at your shop and have refreshments available.

Poker runs.
Old 10-04-07, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

2 words

Gift Baskets.
Old 10-04-07, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DarthVong
2 words

Gift Baskets.
Nice.
Old 10-05-07, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by DarthVong
2 words

Gift Baskets.
This never works. Usually when you go to get the gift basket back they've already eaten the chocolate turtles.
Old 10-05-07, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

half naked chicks and insinuating sex always helps
Old 10-05-07, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I know a guy who runs a guitar store, he said that his best investment was paying for radio plugs on a (then) very popular morning radio station, the type of station where his customers would be listening. The ad package was for some basic ads, and x number of "mentions" by the DJ, and whenever the radio station is giving away tickets or whatever his place is always mentioned as a place to get them.

If that's not really feasible, then consider trying to market the store itself. Create some cool looking merchandise that bikers would want to wear (I don't know, long sleeve t-shirts maybe?) and get them into the population somehow.
Old 10-06-07, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Have a huge blowout going out of business sale every week like some carpet stores I see do

You have to get permission from the forum owners, but I have seen some small time guys on one Suzuki forum I am on be allowed to plug their business with a link in their signature on every post they make.

This does appear to find them some business HOWEVER these guys also very clearly HELP the community at large at this site by giving really good advice in their posts that is basically backed up by all the old school members (no snake oil sales)

They also give better prices to forum members than can be found anywhere else, also verfied by members of the forum.

They are not getting rich, they are boosting sales though.
Old 10-07-07, 05:44 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Three words.

Nazi

Sidecar

Emporium