Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

MMR shot linked to autism?

Other Talk "Otterville"
View Poll Results: Parents: Did your babies get their MMR shot at 1-2 years?
Yes; No effect on my baby.
47.52%
Yes; My baby exhibits signs of autism as a result.
3.55%
No; I've heard about the link and it scares me.
4.26%
No; (some other reason)
2.84%
I'm not a parent, but I want to vote anyway.
41.84%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-20-07, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Apparently lots of parents believe their children became autistic after getting their MMR shot. Jenny McCarthy was on Oprah the other day with this. Her son was 2 when he got the shot. Within days, she says, the life went out of his eyes, and he later was diagnosed with autism.

Some study they cited states that 1 in 95 boys are autistic, compared to 1 in 150,000 twenty years ago.

I haven't verified these things, I didn't even watch the show. Does anyone else have any knowledge or experience with this?

Parents, do you give your kids the MMR shot? What was the result?

Last edited by Toad; 09-20-07 at 02:03 PM. Reason: STOP JUDGING ME
Old 09-20-07, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For those wondering, like me, MMR is Measles, Mumps and Rubella.

I think 20 years ago, they possibly couldn't diagnose autism as well as now.
Old 09-20-07, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
I had to go to this couples house once to get some thing signed. I think the wife said that 2 of her 3 kids were autistic. She was certain that it was because of vaccinations and she was telling me all sorts of things bout the mercury(?) in the shots. It was interesting as I had never heard anything about it before. I don't know what I would do about immunization shots if I had kids.
Old 09-20-07, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 09-20-07, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i saw that Oprah episode and Jenny also said she cut out wheat and pretty much all foods with artificial ingredients to make her kid better.

i think it was movielib who posted stats in the other autism thread that mercury hasn't been used in MMR for years, but the autism rate has still climbed
Old 09-20-07, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There is no link.
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Seems like the government is against the theory; don't know if it's because there's no credible link, or otherwise.

http://www.cdc.gov/od/science/iso/mmr_autism.htm
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
Sorry chief, has this been done before? I'm happy to request a close if so.
Old 09-20-07, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My friend is a head drug rep for one company that makes these vaccines. Nothing gets him more angry then when this is brought up (I do it to piss him off). He has all kinds of reports and what not showing no mercury and what not. He is in town from Fresno tonight maybe I will ask for some of the reports if he has them.

I think it's just we have become better diagnosing autism now.
Old 09-20-07, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Ok my GF is an ASHA Certified Speech & Hearing Pathologist

I brought this up to her last night and she checked with some more senior Pathologists and here are a few interesting facts:

1) There is a woman who has Twins - both children were given MMR shots at the same time - one has Autism and the other does not. (they are fraternal twins)

2) I think she said that a chemical - Thumor (?) that people "think" was linked to autism has not been put in the vaccination since 2002 (don't quote me on this)

3) The rise of Autism which was a kind of "Rich Person's Disease" in the past is related may be related to fertility treatments. In the past, only wealthy people could afford fertility treatments. Now insurance will pay for treatment, and people are having children much later in life.

4) Classification - In the past "High Functioning" Autism or Asperger's (sp) kids were not classified with anything. They were just the "Quirky" kids in the school who remembered every player on they Yankees and kind of kept to themselves.
Old 09-20-07, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Toad
Sorry chief, has this been done before? I'm happy to request a close if so.
There was a thread awhile back that got ugly, that's all I meant. No offense intended.
Old 09-20-07, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 148 Likes on 105 Posts
On the bright side, if we ban the MMR shots and could have a higher child mortality rate due to Measles, Mumps and Rubella now, the traffic will start to thin out quite a bit in 15-20 years.
Old 09-20-07, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by al_bundy
mercury hasn't been used in MMR for years, but the autism rate has still climbed
Mercury has NEVER been in the MMR. The MMR is a live vax, and thimerisol (mercury) is a preservative that would kill a live vax.

Thimerisol was in all the other shots though that was given before MMR.

They took the thimerisol out but there is still aluminum and other questionable ingredients present.

The theory I have heard that the MMR might react with all the other stuff the body has already been exposed to. All the earlier vaxes lower the immune system, so when the MMR is given it can attack the brain.

I think the current vaccination schedule recommeded by the CDC is ridiculous. They pump way too many of these shots into tiny babies.

If you're going to give them, you should be selective and space them out so the body has time to process them.

Instead of MMR, find a doctor who will order the individual vaxes for you. For example, you could do just measles and skip the mumps (which is a mild disease anyway.
Old 09-20-07, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike
On the bright side, if we ban the MMR shots and could have a higher child mortality rate due to Measles, Mumps and Rubella now, the traffic will start to thin out quite a bit in 15-20 years.
Hmm, my sister and mother had mumps and they are still very much alive. My old boyfriend had measles in his 20's and he somehow survived too.

These diseases used to be considered routine childhood illnesses. Then when they develop a vax, suddenly they are plagues.

Now that they have the varicella vaccine, chicken pox is the big scary disease now. But when we were kids, everybody got it at one point.
Old 09-20-07, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I knew Jadzia would come visit. I thought I was in TV Talk for a moment. And I don't get out much.
Old 09-20-07, 02:40 PM
Mod Emeritus

One or two guys have been pushing a theory about this in the UK for nearly a decade. It had quite an effect on the MMR takeups, although the authorities didn't cover themselves in glory when it seemed as if they were trying to make individual vaccienations more difficult to obtain in spite of public demand.

The medical guys in question seem to be becoming outcasts at the moment but then so did the Helicobacter guy in his time and his theories about stomach acidity and bacteria were eventually shown to be spot on. So who knows?

I think the current theory about MMR and autism is that a lot of the autistic kids were found to have raised levels of some or other gut inflammation possibly caused by the measles virus. However, I'm not sure that they've been able to demonstrate cause and effect.
Old 09-20-07, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 148 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadzia
Hmm, my sister and mother had mumps and they are still very much alive. My old boyfriend had measles in his 20's and he somehow survived too.

These diseases used to be considered routine childhood illnesses. Then when they develop a vax, suddenly they are plagues.

Now that they have the varicella vaccine, chicken pox is the big scary disease now. But when we were kids, everybody got it at one point.

Drat, there goes my dream of a future without gridlock!
Old 09-20-07, 02:48 PM
X
Administrator

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
For example, you could do just measles and skip the mumps (which is a mild disease anyway.
Mumps is a mild disease if you get it when you're young. Of course with so many kids vaccinated, it's harder to get it when you're young. So if you don't get it when you're young and get mumps when you're older it can be quite severe and have complications.
Old 09-20-07, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Mercury has NEVER been in the MMR. The MMR is a live vax, and thimerisol (mercury) is a preservative that would kill a live vax.

Thimerisol was in all the other shots though that was given before MMR.

They took the thimerisol out but there is still aluminum and other questionable ingredients present.

The theory I have heard that the MMR might react with all the other stuff the body has already been exposed to. All the earlier vaxes lower the immune system, so when the MMR is given it can attack the brain.

I think the current vaccination schedule recommeded by the CDC is ridiculous. They pump way too many of these shots into tiny babies.

If you're going to give them, you should be selective and space them out so the body has time to process them.

Instead of MMR, find a doctor who will order the individual vaxes for you. For example, you could do just measles and skip the mumps (which is a mild disease anyway.
this is if you assume autism is caused by vaccination. Jenny's only response was that there should be custom vaccines. And she says that she was actually able to reverse autism in her child
Old 09-20-07, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by X
Mumps is a mild disease if you get it when you're young. Of course with so many kids vaccinated, it's harder to get it when you're young. So if you don't get it when you're young and get mumps when you're older it can be quite severe and have complications.
That is why some of these vaccines scare me: usually you get these diseases when you are young and they are mild, then you have life-long immunity and need never woryy about them again.

But if you get the vaccine, you don't get the illness when you are young, and you never know how long the artificial immunity lasts making you susceptible to more serious versions of the illness later.

I think sometimes we are meddling with immune systems that know better than we do.
Old 09-20-07, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I think sometimes we are meddling with immune systems that know better than we do.
here here.. down with vaccines and medecine
everyone seemed much happier when avg life expectancy was 35 anyways.. cause then you could get married at 12
Old 09-20-07, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by al_bundy
this is if you assume autism is caused by vaccination.
I am not sure what causes autism, but I suspect vaccinations are involved, whether they are a trigger for someone who has a genetic tendency, or if they somehow weaken the body's ability to process out things that are in the environment.

The rise in autism really started to fly off the charts when the vaccination schedule was ramped up int he early 90's. And so many parents have seen their talking toddlers suddenly regress in speech after their 18 month shots.

Dan Olmsted has written an excellent series of articles on Autism and one the fascinating things is how it is virtually not found in communities who do not vaccinate (the Amish, the patients of a holistic Chicago health practice.)

The CDC keeps rejecting a link but so far they have refused to do the study that so many parents have demanded: study autism rates in the vaccinated and the unvaccinated. It seems suspect that they refuse to do this study, almost as if they are afraid of the results?

http://www.theageofautism.com
Old 09-20-07, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i want my polio
Old 09-20-07, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

the Autism diagnoses made nowadays would never have been made 15 years ago, let alone 25 years.

There's very little statistical evidence linking vaccinations and autism, it's like when the government says marijuana use causes schizophrenia.
Old 09-20-07, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
There was a thread awhile back that got ugly, that's all I meant. No offense intended.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread....ht=vaccination

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.