Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

MMR shot linked to autism?

Other Talk "Otterville"
View Poll Results: Parents: Did your babies get their MMR shot at 1-2 years?
Yes; No effect on my baby.
47.52%
Yes; My baby exhibits signs of autism as a result.
3.55%
No; I've heard about the link and it scares me.
4.26%
No; (some other reason)
2.84%
I'm not a parent, but I want to vote anyway.
41.84%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

MMR shot linked to autism?

Old 05-24-10, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 837 Likes on 554 Posts
Re: MMR shot linked to autism?

But once someone accepts a conspiracy theory, everything else gets sucked into that theory. Therefore, Dr Wakefield is being silenced by the establishment for nefarious reasons.
Old 05-25-10, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 195 Likes on 167 Posts

Reminds me of the former big attorney in Louisiana who thought insurance companies were evil and their CEO's belonged in jail. He is now sitting in jail for bribing a judge.

Sort of goes back to the old thought of those that cry the loudest are often guilty themselves.

Nick, "some" will also make the argument that just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean someone is not after me.
Old 05-25-10, 12:04 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 165 Likes on 124 Posts

Yeah and Jim Carrey left Jenny McCarthy. All he wanted to do was bang some hot poon-tang and the next thing he knows he's marching on Washington and ralleying for autism. He got out of that kook-o shit.
Old 06-04-10, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

New studies link autism to infertility treatments.

Every parent of a child with autism wonders what might have caused the disorder. Does it secretly run in the family? Was there a toxic exposure during pregnancy? An infection in early infancy? Was the mother or father too old?

Amy Sawelson Landes of Tarzana, Calif., has asked herself all of these questions, plus one more: Could the fact that she had taken an infertility drug to get pregnant have contributed to her son Ted's autism? "It was one of the first things I wondered about," says Landes, who was 37 when Ted was born 18 years ago.

A study presented Wednesday at the International Meeting for Autism Research in Philadelphia provides some of strongest evidence to date that Landes might be onto something. The study, conducted by a team at the Harvard School of Public Health, found that autism was nearly twice as common among the children of women who were treated with the ovulation-inducing drug Clomid and other similar drugs than women who did not suffer from infertility, and the link persisted even after researchers accounted for the women's age.

Moreover, the association between fertility drugs and autism appeared to strengthen with exposure: the longer women reported being treated for infertility, the higher the chances their child had an autism spectrum disorder (ASD).

A second paper presented at the conference by an Israeli team found an association between autism risk and in vitro fertilization, which also involves the use of drugs that stimulate ovulation. Taken together, the studies add to a growing body of evidence that a history of infertility and treatment for infertility could play a role in causing autism. However, the papers raise more questions than they answer.

The Harvard study was the first to look specifically at Clomid-type drugs and autism. It was a large study involving data from 3,985 women — all of them nurses; 111 reported having a child with autism. However the data was based on questionnaires completed by the women, rather than clinical records, so there was no way to confirm the history or timing of treatment for infertility or autism diagnosis. Nor did researchers have access to information on whether the affected children were born prematurely, whether they were twins or triplets, or whether they had low birth weights.

"Preterm delivery, low birth weight, twinning and maternal age are all associated with infertility treatment and they are all associated with the risk of autism. We need to understand how to tease these factors apart," observes Lisa Croen, senior research scientist with Kaiser Permanente in Oakland, Calif., and director of its Autism Research Program, who was not associated with the paper. "This study is addressing a really important question but we really need more data."

The Israeli report on in vitro fertilization (IVF) is also intriguing, but perhaps even more preliminary. The study looked at 564 children with ASD, who had come to an autism center for in-depth evaluation. It found that 10.2% of the children were the product of IVF, much higher than the rate in the general population of Israel, which is 3.5%. Still, it isn't clear to what degree the greater risk of autism might be traceable to confounding factors such as maternal age, premature birth or multiple birth.

IVF has been associated in previous studies with a greater risk of birth malformations, certain genetic defects and developmental problems, including autism. There is also some evidence from animal studies that the growth media used to culture embryos outside the body before implantation may play a role in causing genetic or developmental anomalies. But, again, it's difficult to separate out the intertwined factors of twinning, prematurity and low birth weight that are also associated with autism, and come into play with IVF and other treatments for infertility.

Epidemiologist Kristen Lyall, who led the Harvard study, cautions that even if further research should confirm a link between infertility drugs and autism, any additional treatment-related risk appears to be small: among women whose average age was 35 when they had their first child, there was a 4% risk of having a child with autism for those who had taken fertility drugs, compared with 2% for those with no drug exposure. The increase in risk was even smaller among a younger subset of women.

Still, infertility is a common problem affecting about 10% of American women, many of whom seek drug treatment and interventions such as IVF. "With so many women being exposed, it's important that we understand the associated risks," says Geraldine Dawson, chief scientific officer for Autism Speaks.
http://www.time.com/time/health/arti...990567,00.html
Old 06-04-10, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SunMonkey View Post

They actually don't

Too much noise in the data.

In actuality it should read NEW STUDIES PROVIDE INTERESTING RESULTS WHICH SHOULD INSPIRE MORE THOROUGH STUDIES ON THE POTENTIAL LINK BETWEEN AUTISM AND FERTILITY DRUGS
Old 06-04-10, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SunMonkey View Post

Oh shit. My wife was on clomid, did IVF, and had our baby premature with a low birth weight.
Old 06-04-10, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I propose we give Octomom a reality show and we monitor this theory that way.
Old 06-04-10, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez View Post
They actually don't

Too much noise in the data.

In actuality it should read NEW STUDIES PROVIDE INTERESTING RESULTS WHICH SHOULD INSPIRE MORE THOROUGH STUDIES ON THE POTENTIAL LINK BETWEEN AUTISM AND FERTILITY DRUGS
I was just reporting the title of the article.
Old 06-04-10, 09:52 AM

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

The correlation doesn't surprise me in the slightest -- autism rates go up as the age of the mother increases, and older women are more likely to get infertility treatments.
Old 06-04-10, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

this might explain why autism is so prevalent in affluent households
Old 08-23-10, 07:31 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 330 Likes on 203 Posts

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RfdZTZQvuCo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RfdZTZQvuCo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 08-23-10, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 721 Likes on 514 Posts

i don't need to watch that to know whatever they said is pro-pharma and obviously biased.
Old 08-23-10, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
i don't need to watch that to know whatever they said is pro-pharma and obviously biased.
We have a thread for your comments in TV talk.
Old 08-23-10, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 721 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by orangecrush View Post
We have a thread for your comments in TV talk.
the one i've posted about 15 times in already?
Old 08-24-10, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wanted to add my thoughts.
About 2 years ago I went to Disneyland with my brother and his family.
He had at the time a son, Harry aged 1 and a half years old at the time. He was a very happy, laughing baby very aware of his surroundings. When Mickey showed up at our table he focused on his nose and just looked at it.
About 6-8 months after returning and after he had the jab me and my mum noticed a difference. He would just be in his own world. You could be right next to him and say his name 10 times and get no reaction whatsoever. He would line up his cars in a row on the floor. We didn't say anything as we didn't want to, and then again your never quite sure what to say.

It turns out he now has Autism. Not as severe as it could have been but he does have to go to a special school. We are lucky that in the area of London that we live has such great services for autism. He gets visited evry 2 weeks and has got into the special school we was hoping for and at the times that would help them out. They are also getting financial help.

It's such a terrible condition. It's so hard that you cannot ask him what he is doing or what he wants to play. You just kinda get a standard message. He calls me "uncle nicky" so he is getting there slowly but TBH I don't know how I would be able to cope if this happened to my child.

The main problem is with the general public. They seem to think a screaming child can always be dealt with a smack. He screams when in supermarkets and this old hag made my sister-in-law nearly cry when she told her to "control" her child.
Not quite sure what my reaction would have been but I'm sure a swear word might have made an appearence.
Old 09-14-10, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ho hum. Yet another study debunking the autism/thimerosal link:

http://www.reutershealth.com/archive...13elin002.html

No link found between vaccine mercury and autism
Last Updated: 2010-09-13 0:01:02 -0400 (Reuters Health)
By Frederik Joelving

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - A new government study adds to the evidence that thimerosal, a mercury-based preservative until recently found in many vaccines, does not increase children's risk of autism.

It shows kids who had been exposed as babies to high levels of the preservative -- through vaccines they received or their mothers received while pregnant -- were no more likely to develop autism, including two distinct subtypes of the condition.

"This study should reassure parents about following the recommended immunization schedule," said Dr. Frank Destefano, director of the Immunization Safety Office at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in Atlanta, and the study's senior author.

Concerns about a link between vaccines and autism were first raised more than a decade ago by British physician Andrew Wakefield.

His report, based on 12 children, has since been discredited and was retracted earlier this year by the journal that published it. In the meantime, it sparked a fierce worldwide debate among scientists and a health scare that caused many parents to shy away from recommended vaccines like the one against measles, mumps and rubella.

Outbreaks of all three diseases followed.

One widespread worry has been that thimerosal might play a role in the development of autism, a condition that affects as many as one in 110 U.S. children, according to the CDC.

Most scientists consider autism a developmental disorder, likely influenced by genes.

Autism spectrum disorders range from mild Asperger's Syndrome to severe mental retardation and social disability, and there is no cure or good treatment.

The CDC researchers used data for U.S. children born between 1994 and 1999, who were enrolled in one of three managed care organizations.

They found 256 children with an autism spectrum disorder and compared them with 752 children who did not have the condition, but were matched for age and sex.

No matter when a child had been exposed to thimerosal -- before birth when the mother had a shot, or when the child itself was vaccinated as a baby or toddler -- there was no increase in the risk of any type of autism spectrum disorder.

In fact, those kids who were exposed to the preservative between birth and 20 months of age had slightly lower odds of developing the condition, although the researchers could not explain that result.

"This is a very reassuring study," said Dr. Michael J. Smith, a pediatrician at the University of Louisville School of Medicine in Kentucky who was not involved in the research.

"These data show that you could receive a thimerosal vaccine and not be concerned about it."

Smith, who said he has a fully vaccinated two-month-old at home, noted that autism rates have continued to rise, although thimerosal has been removed from all routine childhood vaccines, except flu shots.

For parents who remain concerned about thimerosal in the flu shots, he said there are alternatives without the preservative, such as FluMist, a nasal spray that can be used in children aged two and older.

Some parents have also worried that giving too many shots at once, or in children who are too young, could cause mental problems. Smith said studies had dispelled those concerns one by one.

"There is no credible evidence" for a link between vaccines and autism, he told Reuters Health.
It's amazing that because of one crappy, maybe even fraudulent study that has been repudiated by 11 of its 13 original authors and has been withdrawn by the embarrassed journal that published it, and after many studies refuting it, this myth still hangs on.
Old 09-14-10, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I doubt that article will change much, as it will be read like this:

A new government study blah blah blah....
Old 09-14-10, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by movielib View Post
Ho hum. Yet another study debunking the autism/thimerosal link:

http://www.reutershealth.com/archive...13elin002.html

It's amazing that because of one crappy, maybe even fraudulent study that has been repudiated by 11 of its 13 original authors and has been withdrawn by the embarrassed journal that published it, and after many studies refuting it, this myth still hangs on.
Yes, but whatever you do, DON'T hold your cell phone near the injection site or you'll get cancer of the autism for sure.

Many corrupt "scientific" studies cause needless fear in the public. CAGW, which you are flogging to death in its own thread, is another fine example of quackery at its best.
Old 09-14-10, 08:17 AM

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by movielib View Post
To be fair, the hardcore anti-vaccine people have fled the thread. But maybe Guarddog will see this and re-ignite the cause.
Old 09-14-10, 11:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
To be fair, the hardcore anti-vaccine people have fled the thread. But maybe Guarddog will see this and re-ignite the cause.
Jebus, I hope not.
Old 09-14-10, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OldDude View Post
CAGW, which you are flogging to death in its own thread, is another fine example of quackery at its best.
The parallels are definitely striking: A group of loons, who for political reasons rejects decades of published research in favor of more ideologically acceptable blog science, rails against the corrupt scientific establishment for suppressing The Truth and pathetically expects to be vindicated any day now when the conspiracy finally collapses and all those credentialed scientists who act like they're so smart will be revealed for the fools and charlatans that they are.

Or is that not what you meant?
Old 09-14-10, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dork View Post
The parallels are definitely striking: A group of loons, who for political reasons rejects decades of published research in favor of more ideologically acceptable blog science, rails against the corrupt scientific establishment for suppressing The Truth and pathetically expects to be vindicated any day now when the conspiracy finally collapses and all those credentialed scientists who act like they're so smart will be revealed for the fools and charlatans that they are.

Or is that not what you meant?
In spite of the whitewash, Mann's Hockey Stick Statistics are corrupt, and resistance to the freedom of information act requests by Cambridge is not in keeping with the open inquiry ideals of science and the lies by the IPCC about only using peer-reviewed literature while actually using crazed ramblings of enviro-nuts belies your point. So, not exactly, no.

I think the lumbering investigation has pointed out a few fools and charlatans, committed to proving the earth is flat, burning up, and flooding. I think there is a lot more grist to grind however.
Old 09-14-10, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OldDude View Post
In spite of the whitewash, Mann's Hockey Stick Statistics are corrupt, and resistance to the freedom of information act requests by Cambridge is not in keeping with the open inquiry ideals of science and the lies by the IPCC about only using peer-reviewed literature while actually using crazed ramblings of enviro-nuts belies your point. So, not exactly, no.
Not a single thing you just said has any basis in reality. But more to the point, none of it explains your eagerness to ignore decades of scientific research. It's on the level of anti-vaccine nuts pointing out that various studies were funded by drug companies as an excuse for believing in things they want to believe in anyway.
Old 09-14-10, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I love it when dork gets his dander up.
Old 09-14-10, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dork View Post
Not a single thing you just said has any basis in reality. But more to the point, none of it explains your eagerness to ignore decades of scientific research. It's on the level of anti-vaccine nuts pointing out that various studies were funded by drug companies as an excuse for believing in things they want to believe in anyway.
Are you still expecting the glaciers to melt by 2035? Even the IPCC has admitted:
1) It was 2350
2) They copied it from a non-peer reviewed source and called it peer-reviewed
3) It's author admits it is wrong
4) The IPCC has been roundly criticized for it

I guess you have your reality, and I have mine. Go worship at the Temple of CAGW.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.