Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

MMR shot linked to autism?

Other Talk "Otterville"
View Poll Results: Parents: Did your babies get their MMR shot at 1-2 years?
Yes; No effect on my baby.
47.52%
Yes; My baby exhibits signs of autism as a result.
3.55%
No; I've heard about the link and it scares me.
4.26%
No; (some other reason)
2.84%
I'm not a parent, but I want to vote anyway.
41.84%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

MMR shot linked to autism?

Old 03-13-10, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: MMR shot linked to autism?

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
No court ever found that. No court in the United States has ever found anyone innocent. The ruling is "not guilty," and it only means the prosecution didn't prove the person guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.
The first three dozen or so times that play on words point about 'innocent/not guilty' was made on this forum it was kind of cute, but now it's just tired and kind of lame. You might realize one day in the future that 'innocent' is a synonym of 'not guilty' in that sense and stop beating that dead horse.
Old 03-14-10, 04:14 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A double-whammy-- the danger of measles AND the dumbness of religion!

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/ba...-100-children/
Old 03-15-10, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Deep_lurk View Post
A double-whammy-- the danger of measles AND the dumbness of religion!

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/ba...-100-children/
To say that failing to vaccinate kids means you are responsible for their death is specious logic at best.
Old 03-15-10, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 675 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by orangecrush View Post
To say that failing to vaccinate kids means you are responsible for their death is specious logic at best.
So let me get this straight. You have the opportunity to vaccinate your child for measles but you don't. Your kid contracts measles and dies. That's specious logic? Ummmm, ok.
Old 03-15-10, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse View Post
The first three dozen or so times that play on words point about 'innocent/not guilty' was made on this forum it was kind of cute, but now it's just tired and kind of lame. You might realize one day in the future that 'innocent' is a synonym of 'not guilty' in that sense and stop beating that dead horse.
They are not synonymous. You're creating a false dichotomy by assuming that you have to be guilty or innocent. This is not true even in common everyday language, and doubly so in the legal world.
Old 03-15-10, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
So let me get this straight. You have the opportunity to vaccinate your child for measles but you don't. Your kid contracts measles and dies. That's specious logic? Ummmm, ok.
You have the opportunity to vaccinate your son against HPV, you don't. He get's testicular cancer and he dies. Are you at fault? Or your kid gets some disease while your family is on vacation in Africa and dies. Are you at fault?
Old 03-15-10, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They are not synonymous. You're creating a false dichotomy by assuming that you have to be guilty or innocent. This is not true even in common everyday language, and doubly so in the legal world.
I see...

Old 03-15-10, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 675 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by orangecrush View Post
You have the opportunity to vaccinate your son against HPV, you don't. He get's testicular cancer and he dies. Are you at fault? Or your kid gets some disease while your family is on vacation in Africa and dies. Are you at fault?
oh boy.
Old 03-15-10, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Lets not forget that being found "not guilty" does in fact have at least two possible reasons,

1. Not enough evidence/unable to prove the case
2. Innocent

You may be correct that courts don't bother differentiating these two, but that doesn't mean "not guilt" never = innocent. An innocent person found not guilty is in fact innocent.

So for the sake of this article, the court found there was no link. This could be one of two things,

1. They could not find/prove or show the link that is actually there
2. There is no link
Old 03-15-10, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Lets not forget that being found "not guilty" does in fact have at least two possible reasons,

2. Innocent

You may be correct that courts don't bother differentiating these two, but that doesn't mean "not guilt" never = innocent. An innocent person found not guilty is in fact innocent.

So for the sake of this article, the court found there was no link. This could be one of two things,

1. They could not find/prove or show the link that is actually there
2. There is no link
The court only cares about #1 in both cases. #2 is irrelevant to a court. It's not what they're looking for, and it's not what they consider.

The decisions are 100-300+ pages. I've only skimmed, but they're pretty definitive.
Old 03-15-10, 05:59 PM

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

I find this thread GUILTY. Guilty of being boring as hell since all the McCarthyists have fled the scene.
Old 03-15-10, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well I tried pulling a few Charlie-esque 'wildcard bitches!' in this thread, but to no avail.

Neither 'side' got all worked up about it... much to my chagrin.
Old 03-15-10, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well I tried pulling a few Charlie-esque 'wildcard bitches!' in this thread, but to no avail.

You should have tried going America all over our asses.
Old 03-15-10, 08:41 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 316 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
I find this thread GUILTY. Guilty of being boring as hell since all the McCarthyists have fled the scene.
Have you no sense of decency, Sir?
Old 03-15-10, 08:47 PM

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

I chuckled out loud, but there's no smiley for that so I kept it to myself.
Old 03-15-10, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

Originally Posted by starman9000 View Post

You should have tried going America all over our asses.
ROCK, FLAG and EAGLE!
Old 03-15-10, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by wildcatlh View Post
The court only cares about #1 in both cases. #2 is irrelevant to a court. It's not what they're looking for, and it's not what they consider.

The decisions are 100-300+ pages. I've only skimmed, but they're pretty definitive.
I know this. The point is some have said not guilty does not mean innocent. In fact it could mean innocent. I agree the courts don't look for that, but that doesn't mean it's not there.
Old 03-15-10, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I know this. The point is some have said not guilty does not mean innocent. In fact it could mean innocent. I agree the courts don't look for that, but that doesn't mean it's not there.
Rectangle doesn't mean square even though some rectangles are square.
Old 03-16-10, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

taking my kid to the doctor today and need to ask about Prevnar 13
Old 03-16-10, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

2. Innocent

I never said otherwise. I said it's a false dichotomy -- if you're innocent, you're not guilty, but if you're not guilty you aren't necessarily innocent.
Old 03-16-10, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
From the NYTimes:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/25/bu...25vaccine.html
Vaccine Approved for Child Infections
By DUFF WILSON
Published: February 24, 2010
The Food and Drug Administration on Wednesday approved Prevnar 13, an expanded version of a vaccine to protect children against more forms of bacterial infections that can cause meningitis, pneumonia and other diseases.

Skip to next paragraph

The new vaccine protects against a virulent subtype called strain 19A, a growing threat.
Health officials say such infections cause a million deaths a year in developing countries and dozens of deaths in the United States, along with ear infections in millions of infants.

Prevnar 13, from the drug giant Pfizer, adds protection against six types of bacteria to a current product, Prevnar 7, increasing its coverage to more than 90 percent of pneumococcal disease rather than the current product’s 80 percent coverage.

Prevnar 7 had worldwide sales approaching $3 billion, making it one of the Pfizer’s best-selling drugs, and Credit Suisse analysts predict Prevnar 13 will exceed $5 billion in sales by 2014. Pfizer is counting on it to become the company’s top revenue generator after its flagship drug, the cholesterol fighter Lipitor, loses patent protection next year. In recent months Prevnar 13 has been approved in 38 other countries.

While Prevnar 13, like Prevnar 7, is approved only for use in children, Pfizer is testing it on adults in two clinical trials that could lead to its use to vaccinate older people against bacterial infections, the company said. Pfizer may ask the F.D.A. to approve adult usage of Prevnar 13 by the end of the year, Geno Germano, president of Pfizer’s specialty care unit, said in an interview.

As with the older vaccine, Prevnar 13 is given by intramuscular injections at 2 months, 4 months, 6 months and between 12 and 15 months of age.

Pfizer said Prevnar 13 would be available within weeks to replace the older product. An immunization advisory committee for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, meeting in Atlanta on Wednesday, recommended that all children younger than 5 who received the Prevnar 7 vaccine get a supplemental dose of Prevnar 13 the next time they visited a doctor.

Pfizer told the committee it would charge $108 a dose for the new product, 30 percent higher than the $83 a dose it charged for Prevnar 7.

Vaccine products were the major attraction for Pfizer in its $68 billion purchase last year of Wyeth Pharmaceuticals, which developed the Prevnar vaccines. Pfizer, the world’s largest drug maker, is scrambling to diversify as patents of older products expire.

Testing of Prevnar 13 in adults includes an 85,000-person trial in the Netherlands to protect against pneumonia acquired outside of hospital settings, one of the most common infectious illnesses, particularly among older people, Dr. Emilio Emini, Pfizer’s chief vaccine officer, said in an interview.

Approval for adult use, said Mr. Germano of the specialty care unit, “would open up essentially hundreds of millions of additional patients who could benefit from the vaccine.” Pfizer has estimated it could add $1.5 billion in sales.

The new Prevnar vaccine protects against a virulent subtype of the Streptococcus pneumoniae bacteria called strain 19A, a growing threat to health that accounts for about 10 percent of the bacterial diseases. It became resistant to antibiotics about five years ago, Dr. Emini said, and is the major new strain attacked in the new product.

A competing vaccine from GlaxoSmithKline, Synflorix, is approved in Europe and some other markets but not in the United States and does not include the strain 19A. Prevnar is the only such vaccine approved for infants in the United States. Merck and Lederle Laboratories make pneumococcal vaccines approved for some adults and children ages 2 and older but not for the younger group, which has the highest rates of the disease.

The F.D.A. twice extended its review time for Prevnar 13, which Pfizer said was the most complex biological product ever submitted for regulatory review. An F.D.A. panel voted 10 to 1 in November to approve it, with one member expressing concern about safety, especially about adverse reactions like redness at the injection site and occasional fever.

The illnesses caused by the Streptococcus pneumoniae bacteria include meningitis, an inflammation of the brain covering; sepsis or bloodstream infection; pneumonia and ear infections. The bacteria have evolved, frustrating efforts to wipe them out.

Pfizer plans to expand the childhood vaccine usage in other markets, including developing countries, through the Global Alliance for Vaccines and Immunisation, at a much lower price, Mr. Germano said.

The World Health Organization says at least a million children worldwide die each year of pneumococcal disease, most of them very young children in developing countries, making it the leading cause of vaccine-preventable death.
Old 03-16-10, 02:43 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 164 Likes on 124 Posts

My daughter is blonde and skinny, is there anything I can vacinate her with so she doesn't end up a bubble headed dumb fuck like Jenny McCarthy?
Old 03-16-10, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
I wouldn't recommend it. Even if the doctor was inclined to give your kid the vaccine he certainly won't if you ask for it by name.
Old 03-17-10, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by WallyOPD View Post
I wouldn't recommend it. Even if the doctor was inclined to give your kid the vaccine he certainly won't if you ask for it by name.
Old 05-24-10, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dr. Andrew Wakefield, who pioneered this nonsense, was banned from practicing medicine in his home country of Britain today for multiple ethical violations and performing invasive, unnecessary procedures on children.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/25/he.../25autism.html

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.