Reload this Page >

Credit Card Question

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Credit Card Question

Old 09-10-07, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Credit Card Question

I am about to book my honeymoon for next year. Looking like it will cost around $5000.00 between accomodations and airplane tix. I have never had a credit card that offered any kind of airplane miles, etc ( I currently have an amex and visa debit). Is there a credit card I can get fairly quick that would be worth signing up for that would get me something back on my purchase? Any suggestions?
Old 09-10-07, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amex will give your beneficiaries up to 1.5 mil if your plane goes down...thats quite a return...
Old 09-10-07, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk God

If you are booking online, you will probably see an offer on the page. But if you google "credit card airline miles" or something like that, you will find plenty of links to places that will approve you in minutes.
Old 09-10-07, 07:26 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kvrdave
If you are booking online, you will probably see an offer on the page. But if you google "credit card airline miles" or something like that, you will find plenty of links to places that will approve you in minutes.
Those companies would have to mail the card to you, and then you would need to activate it (1-2 weeks).

Your best bet is to call AMEX and see if they can switch your current card to a rewards card. AMEX has the best rewards -- that's the trade off for being accepted less frequently.
Old 09-11-07, 01:59 AM
Cool New Member

AMEX. The best.
Old 09-11-07, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

AMEX or Amazon. I use amazon because I stack the GCs with my referral link and the 3% back, but this is only worth it because I buy 90% of my stuff online from them (with prime).

I've been meaning to pick up an AMEX actually.

Let me know if you get one. (and which one has the best deal).

FatWallet is great for credit card info....just don't get sucked into the monstrous balance transfer/interest threads!

-p
Old 09-11-07, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Not really.

Unless you are going to be flying a lot over the next couple of years, it's better to get one without a yearly fee, and with low interest.
Old 09-11-07, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express

------------------------------------------------------------------

Earn 10,000 Starpoints® with your first purchase — enough for up to 3 free nights at a Category 1 or 2 hotel.

Plus– earn an additional 15,000 Starpoints when you spend $15,000 in 6 months.

Use Starpoints for free nights and upgrades at over 825 participating Starwood hotels and resorts in 95 countries.

Transfer Starpoints — almost always on a 1:1 basis — to the frequent flyer programs of over 30 major airlines.

Earn one Starpoint for every dollar of eligible spending and double Starpoints at participating Starwood properties and retail outlets.

First year fee-free and only $45 thereafter.
Old 09-11-07, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by matta
Those companies would have to mail the card to you, and then you would need to activate it (1-2 weeks).

Your best bet is to call AMEX and see if they can switch your current card to a rewards card. AMEX has the best rewards -- that's the trade off for being accepted less frequently.
Not true. I had a large purchase to make, found a card online, applied, was approved, and made the purchase electronically within about 15 minutes once. I am slowly paying that card off, and it is the last of my old, high-interest credit card debt! Woohoo!
Old 09-11-07, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by C-Mart
Not true. I had a large purchase to make, found a card online, applied, was approved, and made the purchase electronically within about 15 minutes once. I am slowly paying that card off, and it is the last of my old, high-interest credit card debt! Woohoo!
Me too. All those degrees and matta is still stupid.
Old 09-11-07, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I got a Citi Dividend Platinum Select or something like that a year ago...at the time it was 5% cash back on groceries, gas, and drug store purchases, 1% on everything else. They lowered it a while back to 2% and 1%. I'll still take cash, even at those lower levels, over most any non-cash rewards. The math just never seems to work out in favor of the non-cash cards...and I like to have cash instead of some convoluted restrictions or outrageously priced "rewards."
Old 09-11-07, 12:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kvrdave
Me too. All those degrees and matta is still stupid.
Nice personal attack

Granted, I don't open up many credit cards, but every time I've done it (twice now), I've applied, been approved, then had a card mailed to me. When I got the card, I had to call a number to activate it from my registered phone number. That prevented the card from being lost / stolen in the mail and used (which actually did happen once -- I had a card never arrive and someone tried to use it later. Of course, it wasn't active, so they weren't able to do so).
Old 09-11-07, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by matta
Granted, I don't open up many credit cards, but every time I've done it (twice now), I've applied, been approved, then had a card mailed to me. When I got the card, I had to call a number to activate it from my registered phone number. That prevented the card from being lost / stolen in the mail and used (which actually did happen once -- I had a card never arrive and someone tried to use it later. Of course, it wasn't active, so they weren't able to do so).
If you have good credit, it goes much smoother
Old 09-11-07, 03:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 4KRG
If you have good credit, it goes much smoother
Yup. That must be it.