DVD Talk Gold Edition

Unknown Person Gives Georgia Sheriff's Deputy the Finger

http://www.ajc.com/search/content/me...inger0824.html

Finger points cops to wrong conclusion

By Jeffry Scott
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 08/24/07

OK, the finger didn't look right.

Not to mention, it wasn't attached to a hand.

It was severed and lying under a table on Lynn Oberkrom's back porch when Oberkrom noticed it. It was Monday night. He and his family were in the backyard of his Stockbridge home grilling out.

So Oberkrom did what most people would probably do if they found a severed human finger in their backyard. He called the police. A few minutes later, investigators from Rockdale County Sheriff's office showed up. One investigator took a picture of the finger. Another searched the house.

"Nothing at the house appeared to be connected with the finger," wrote officer Stewart Bradley in a incident report. "The finger might have been brought to the house by an animal."

The next morning, investigators delivered the finger to the DeKalb County Medical Examiner's Office for tests while deputies using dogs and a helicopter from the Georgia State Patrol searched nearby woods for about three hours, fearing they would find a human body.

But there was no body.

Had there been, it probably would have been made out of rubber.

Just like the finger.

Rockdale Sheriff Jeff Wigington conceded on Thursday that the situation sounds kind of funny - now.

"But trust me," he said. "If you saw that finger, you'd think it was real, too." He said the department was just doing its job, collecting evidence, then delivering it to experts to decide. "I'd rather err on the side of being too cautious, than not cautious enough," he said.

Woody Hall, deputy chief investigator for the medical examiner's office, commended the Rockdale investigators for preserving the finger and delivering it to medical examiners in a sealed plastic bag. He said "outwardly the finger looked real." But it was covered with dirt. When examiners cleaned it off and tried to collect finger prints, they realized "in about 30 seconds" it was rubber, he said.

They alerted the sheriff's department, which called off the search, the dogs and the helicopter.

"I know it's probably embarrassing now, but they did the right thing." said Hall. "When in doubt, have a doc look at it."
Old 08-24-07, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Picture of the suspect:

Old 08-24-07, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wendy's officials were relieved that this took place nowhere near their chili.
Old 08-24-07, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mammal
...Woody Hall, deputy chief investigator for the medical examiner's office, commended the Rockdale investigators for preserving the finger and delivering it to medical examiners in a sealed plastic bag...
I like the guy's name, there's a building called "Woody Hall" at Southern Illinois University at Carbondale.
Old 08-24-07, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If there is anyone that didn't know that this thread was going to be about a severed finger, then shame on you.
Old 08-24-07, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

$10 his desk was covered in rubber fingers the next day. I know cops love to give shit to each other.
Old 08-24-07, 05:08 PM
Banned

I thought it was going to end like Blue Velvet. Wotta letdown.
Old 08-24-07, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

[DVD Josh]Can we knock it off with the "clever" thread titles?[/DVD Josh]
Old 08-26-07, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mammal
"Nothing at the house appeared to be connected with the finger," wrote officer Stewart Bradley in a incident report. "The finger might have been brought to the house by an animal."
Was that an intentional joke?
Old 08-26-07, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by KillerCannabis
$10 his desk was covered in rubber fingers the next day. I know cops love to give shit to each other.

Soooo true!

Back about 3 years ago one of our patrol deputies, along with numerous others, were looking for a suicidal male who'd run into some woods. The deputy came over the radio in a raised voice, almost stressful, that he'd found him and was chasing him. Turned out it was a deer. He didn't live that one down for many many months...

3 months later the suicidal male actually did commit suicide, I handled that case....and we decided the jokes about the previous incident should stop, which they did.

Last edited by FiveO; 08-26-07 at 08:52 AM.