Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Sjogren's syndrome?

Old 08-22-07, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sjogren's syndrome?

Anyone ever have this problem?My heart doctor suggested that I might have it because of dry eyes(all the time) and dry mouth(mostly at night).Its hard to detect and more than likely I would need to see more than one doctor .As far a cure I am not sure on that.
Old 08-22-07, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There are some blood tests that can suggest Sjogren's...what else did your physician say? Do you have a referral to see a rheumatologist?
Old 08-22-07, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I took a blood test for rheumatoid arthritis a few months ago and it turned out negative.A blood test can be wrong but the rheumatologist said that it would have spread from one hand to the other and I don't notice any pain in my right hand.Since then I have seen a few doctors but I am seeing one for physical therapy on my left hand.Can't bend or straighten my hand.

Last edited by dvd-4-life; 08-22-07 at 04:21 PM.
Old 08-22-07, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

drink more fluids
quit sleeping under a ceiling fan
be checked for diabetes

if you do all these and they dont change, then go get checked for sjogrens. however, it is much less common than those things listed above. all the sjogrens patietns i know walk around with a water bottle. does the thought of eating a cracker repulse you? no offense, thor...
Old 08-22-07, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ah, good, I was waiting for an internist to show up.
Old 08-23-07, 03:00 PM

I learned of Sjogren's from an optometrist at Wal-Mart of all people, when I went in to get fitted for contacts and he noted my eyes looked very dry. I also am fairly pale, suffer from some joint pain, and have occasional dry mouth (though nothing severe). He suggested I might have a mild case of the disease. But who knows.

I did some research and learned that many Norwegians have the problem, and I'm something like 1/4 or 1/2 Norwegian, so who knows.

I haven't seen a doctor yet as my problems aren't that severe but there are apparently these eye drops that do wonders for dry eyes. He gave me a prescription but I ended up not getting it filled.