Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

YAPT: Boy gets locked in gun safe...

Old 08-15-07, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Lounging on the beach in L.A., frappucino in hand...
YAPT: Boy gets locked in gun safe...

Boy, 10, gets locked in store's gun safe
story here

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

WORCESTER, Mass. -- Gun safes are supposed to keep children out, but a 10-year-old boy managed to lock himself in. Daniel Jancura and two other boys were playing with a safe on display at a Sam's Club on Monday when he became trapped inside. It was at least 15 minutes before firefighters and store employees could get him out.

"I was pretty scared," the Rutland boy said. "It was hot."

Daniel's mother, Laura Jancura, had brought him, his older brother and a cousin on a shopping outing. The boys came across the safe - which is 5 feet tall, 30 inches wide and 22 inches deep - while she wasn't looking.

Playing with the key pad on the lock, they somehow managed to open the door. Daniel crawled inside and the door locked behind him.

His mother said at first she couldn't believe what had happened.

"My back was turned for five minutes," she said.

Deputy Fire Chief John F. Sullivan said officials were prepared to force open the safe if necessary, but store employees were able to get an override code from the manufacturer.

Slowing down things, however, was a security feature that locks the key pad for at least 5 minutes so no new code could be entered.
===========================

Thoughts? At first, nothing noteworthy, but I was kind of surprised that Sam's club would have a safe for display that 1) a kid could fit into and 2) would lock behind them. Seems kinda like a bad idea in general?

Still, Sam's Club is also one of the places I think I'd be afraid to turn my back on my kid for a second, just so they don't start climbing the pallet racks...

Interested in the parents' opinions.
Old 08-15-07, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hey at least there weren't any poorly mounted heavy mirrors near the safe...those things have a habit of falling when mom's back is turned.
Old 08-15-07, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thoughts? At first, nothing noteworthy, but I was kind of surprised that Sam's club would have a safe for display that 1) a kid could fit into
Presumably it's one meant for rifles and shotguns, so five feet isn't too big. But keeping it open on the floor seems a bit safe. But then aren't the refrigerators at Best Buy accessible to kids?
Old 08-15-07, 02:55 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
I can only imagine the emotional trauma this poor boy suffered. This is worth at least $1Million.
Old 08-15-07, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
Presumably it's one meant for rifles and shotguns, so five feet isn't too big. But keeping it open on the floor seems a bit safe. But then aren't the refrigerators at Best Buy accessible to kids?
Refrigerators don't have locks
Old 08-15-07, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Bandoman
I can only imagine the emotional trauma this poor boy suffered. This is worth at least $1Million.
Oh please, it's not like the kid lost his pants or something.
Old 08-15-07, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

but store employees were able to get an override code from the manufacturer.
This info will come in quite handy the next time I run into a locked safe.
Old 08-15-07, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
But a young child could still get trapped inside one, and if the mother wasn't watching for 5 minutes and didn't know the kid had gotten stuck in a fridge, she could be looking for him way over in DVDs and never realize her kid was suffocating.
Old 08-15-07, 03:18 PM

Location: Lounging on the beach in L.A., frappucino in hand...
Originally Posted by Bronkster
But a young child could still get trapped inside one, and if the mother wasn't watching for 5 minutes and didn't know the kid had gotten stuck in a fridge, she could be looking for him way over in DVDs and never realize her kid was suffocating.
I can't see a kid removing all the shelves and bins and whatever in a fridge and climbing inside it, and even if they did, would it even be quite as roomy as this safe was?

I was just surprised that the mom wasn't shrieking to the heavens about something where the door locked behind the kid. Sure, the kid shouldn't have climbed in there, but I'm surprised they had a safe that could be locked but not easily opened by store employees.
Old 08-15-07, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
A kid can probably destroy half the store in 5 minutes. That's quite a long time to have your back turned. I say it's a good lesson for the mom to keep a better watch on her stupid kid.
Old 08-15-07, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Stupid kid too. At age 10 I knew better than to climb into a safe for no apparent reason and let the door slam behind me.
Old 08-15-07, 04:31 PM

That safe is bigger than my first apartment!
Old 08-15-07, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
Stupid kid too. At age 10 I knew better than to climb into a safe for no apparent reason and let the door slam behind me.
Thats what I was thinking.
Old 08-15-07, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

But if you Doubled Dared you would have to do it even if it was stupid.

Old 08-15-07, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If I read the article right, the safe WAS locked. It was just a sucky safe that was easy to unlock by fiddling with.

Stupid kid.
Stupid mom.
Stupid safe design.

Costco is supposed to be a "warehouse" anyway, not a regular gorcery store. It is not meant to be child-proof.

(side note: Modern refrigerators are easier to open from the inside than old ones. They ought to be perfectly safe on a sales room floor... )
Old 08-15-07, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
The old ones did. I remember quite a few PSAs from my early childhood about the dangers of abandoned refrigerators, and how the door should be blocked or removed when dropping one off at the dump.
Old 08-15-07, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Ban 10 year old boys!
Old 08-15-07, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by jdodd
Oh please, it's not like the kid lost his pants or something.
...or got cheese on his hamburger.
Old 08-16-07, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

"My back was turned for five minutes," she said.
Store employees are not your babysitters. Although, you don't really expect a 10 year old to lock himself up like this.
Old 08-16-07, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

As a parent, I don't take my eyes of my kids for 5 seconds, let alone 5 minutes.

But my kids are 2 and 4. A 10-year-old should be smart enough not to climb into a safe. And I'd be curious how the door got shut. It seems to me you'd have to push it closed from the outside, as I doubt there is a place to get a grip on the inside. And it probably didn't close by itself.

I'd guess he crawled in and one of the other kids shut the door. So just a lot of stupidity all around.
Old 08-16-07, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

And this is why G.I. Joe is sorely missed... if only they were still around to teach kids not to climb into things, like a refrigerator in a junkyard or a safe in a store.
Old 08-16-07, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jason
The old ones did. I remember quite a few PSAs from my early childhood about the dangers of abandoned refrigerators, and how the door should be blocked or removed when dropping one off at the dump.
You still have to do that. The seal makes it hard or impossible for a kid on the inside to open, and it is intended to keep air out so they can suffocate fairly quickly.
Old 08-16-07, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Originally Posted by Ginwen
You still have to do that. The seal makes it hard or impossible for a kid on the inside to open, and it is intended to keep air out so they can suffocate fairly quickly.
You make it sound like the child's suffocation is what the manufacturer in mind.
Old 08-16-07, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

"Playing with the key pad on the lock, they somehow managed to open the door. Daniel crawled inside and the door locked behind him."

I have seen these. But everyone I have seen is on display is locked shut with a sign that says something like "safe locked shut for safety, please ask for assistance".

If a 10 year old figured out how to open the locked safe, I'm thinking a re-design is in order.

Last edited by Sdallnct; 08-16-07 at 11:52 AM.
Old 08-16-07, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What good is a gun safe if your kids can get into it by playing with the keypad?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.