Reload this Page >

Feline Diabetes: Squeaky

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 08-09-07, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well it's not good news for my 13 year old black DSH male. He's got an infected fang that has to come out (the other one came out about two years ago) and along with that we found out that he's got diabetes pretty bad. Ugh. So one cat with cancer, one with diabetes.....how fun.

Here's my Squeaky boy:

Found this site and will look into it when my head stops spinning.
http://www.felinediabetes.com/
Old 08-09-07, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 267 Likes on 161 Posts
Aww, I'm sorry, Kitty. At least they have you to take care of them (as opposed to some craphat that would dump 'em for no longer being perfect).
Old 08-09-07, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it's not a big deal at all, much easier than cancer, trust me! A shot a day, and he'll be as good as new. I see a lot of cats on insulin.
Old 08-10-07, 08:37 AM
Suspended

Received 536 Likes on 254 Posts
I'm so sorry, honey! Please give Squeaky a cuddle from Auntie Vib.

And if you want a girl cat to liven up his medicated days, watch your mailbox.
Old 08-10-07, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm working up the courage to call the vet to get the rest of his test results.

Awww, thanks guys for the well wishes. Vibs, Squeaky would love mail from a girl kitty but please keep in mind that I think he's gay.
Old 08-10-07, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 267 Likes on 161 Posts
not that there's anything wrong with that ....
Old 08-10-07, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Lounging on the beach in L.A., frappucino in hand...
Sorry to hear that, Kitty. Will be praying for you and your Squeaky today.
Old 08-10-07, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Have you checked under his bed for empty candy bar wrappers?
Old 08-10-07, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, guess how much his medication is going to cost? Ok seriously....wow....
Old 08-10-07, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
sorry to hear that kitty
Old 08-10-07, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kittydreamer
Wow, guess how much his medication is going to cost? Ok seriously....wow....
insulin is about $30 per bottle, and a box of a 100 suringes is about the same...What meds is the doctor putting him on? It really shouldn't be a lot. Make sure you get a script from the doctor and fill it yourself in a pharmacy, don't buy it from the vet's office.
Old 08-10-07, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Cool Kitten
insulin is about $30 per bottle, and a box of a 100 suringes is about the same...What meds is the doctor putting him on? It really shouldn't be a lot. Make sure you get a script from the doctor and fill it yourself in a pharmacy, don't buy it from the vet's office.
Took the script to Costco and the bottle was $75 for like 1000 units and Sqeaky needs 5 units a day. Well, this would be awesome and all but the shit expires after only 28 days. Fuck that. So we're looking into something else, some other options, like one of those dial-a-pen thingies.

Anyway, the cost bites and all but he's worth it. He's been with us since he was 12 weeks old.
Old 08-11-07, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 560 Likes on 320 Posts
That's how it is with aging cats. After 12 years, it's patch, patch, patch.

Some of us old fogies can empathize.

Good wishes for both your kitties!
Old 08-11-07, 10:19 AM

Took the script to Costco and the bottle was $75 for like 1000 units and Sqeaky needs 5 units a day. Well, this would be awesome and all but the shit expires after only 28 days. Fuck that. So we're looking into something else, some other options, like one of those dial-a-pen thingies.

Anyway, the cost bites and all but he's worth it. He's been with us since he was 12 weeks old.
When we had our first diabetic cat, I had us leave the cat at his clinic for the day while he did blood curve readings throughout the day. Naturally this was expensive. Now he takes a sample of blood and does a fructosamine test on it which gives him a history of over a period of months. From that we determine how much insulin to give. When first starting on insulin it may be necessary to do these fructosamine readings repeatedly to get the dosage right.

The insulin we use is Vetsulin, it is veterinary insulin only. A few years back we used to use Lily Human insulin but they discontinued that and we started with Vetsulin. It costs us $40 for a 10ml bottle which lasts about a month. There is another veterinary insulin that costs much more and I'll bet you are using that one, ask your vet about Vetsulin.

When we were using the human insulin (it was U100) we bought syringes at Walmart, box of 100 for about $10. When we started with Vetsulin it was U40 so we bought our syringes from the vet, don't remember the price, but it was less than $30. I immediately noticed the vet supplied syringes weren't as good, they weren't as sharp. It took a little more pressure to push through the skin and our cat was reacting to the stick more. I asked if we could use the U100 human syringes? We can, you just have to convert the dosage correctly. If the vet says give 8 units of U40, multiply 8 by 2.5 (2.5 x 40 =100) for a dosage of 20 units in the U100 human syringes.

I did this to spare my cat more pain, not to save money. The vet was probably charging me more for the veterinary syringes (I could not find U40 human syringes only U100), but we are probably saving some bucks on a box.

BTW, we are giving our cat 8 units (in the U40 measurement) twice a day. This works out to 20 units in the U100 syringes. A bottle lasts about a month. And there's no 28 day expiration. There wasn't with the human insulin and there isn't with the Vetsulin. Insulin is pretty forgiven. One day I left it on the counter for the day. When I called the vet they said, no problem, it could be out for days at room temp and still be ok.

I hope this information gives you some more options.
Old 08-11-07, 10:45 AM

BTW, the expiration date on the Vetsulin we have now is 12-2008. And here's an image of part of the fact sheet that comes with the insulin.

The back shows the distributor:
Old 08-11-07, 10:47 AM

BTW, don't get freaked out by the indication it is for dogs only. Vets are using this for cats and our baby is doing fine with it. There is also another brand of veterinary insulin that costs much more, can't remember the name of it. PZI something.
Old 12-29-07, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 85 Likes on 64 Posts
Well I found out one of my cats was diabetic a couple of weeks ago. He's on human insulin though which id fine since my MIL can get samples from her office, 2 units twice a day.. The vet has him on Prescription Diet M/D and in my reading I've found that that may not be the best thing for him. I'm reading that it's better to go with a low carb high muscle meat canned food like Wellness. Anybody have any experience or stories for me?
Old 12-29-07, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm sorry about your kitty, Timber. Squeaky continues to do awesome on his shots and I hope the same for your kitty.
Old 12-30-07, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well looks like Squeaky may be heading downhill. We thought he'd been doing well but he's not been doing so great. I may be losing both kitties within a week.
Old 12-30-07, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Our cat had diabetes...yes, HAD. After about 9 months, he no longer needed insulin and his blood sugars became normal. I believe it's actually somewhat common for it to go away in cats. So there's always hope that it may resolve itself. It's been about about 4 years now since then.
Old 12-30-07, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 560 Likes on 320 Posts
A lot of it has to do with the cat's age, and diet history.

If he has had a healthy diet all his life, his chances of recovery are better. If he spent early life deprived, or eating too much "people food" (not enough protein), the outlook is not so good.
Old 12-31-07, 02:07 PM

Well looks like Squeaky may be heading downhill. We thought he'd been doing well but he's not been doing so great. I may be losing both kitties within a week.
If diabetes is the issue, keep in mind you have to adjust the dosage until you get it right.
Old 12-31-07, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Timber
The vet has him on Prescription Diet M/D and in my reading I've found that that may not be the best thing for him. I'm reading that it's better to go with a low carb high muscle meat canned food like Wellness. Anybody have any experience or stories for me?
We use Science Diet W/D dry. Our vet likes it because it slow digesting so there's not as much up and down with the amount of food in her system.
Old 12-31-07, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He's doing much better today. I guess there are going to be a lot of good and bad days, I just have to keep an eye on him. I think I overdosed him and that might have been why he wasn't looking so good. I gave him some sugar syrup and he perked right up. He's such a good boy.
Old 02-24-08, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So he stopped eating and is now sneezing out nasty stuff from his nose. Also, he looks like shit so we're off to the vet tomorrow. Poor baby. Ugh.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.