Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

My landlord died and we've not been contacted by anyone. What can I do?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion and Politics

Old 08-02-07, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My landlord, a retired Doctor, passed away 3 weeks ago. We signed a lease the first year we moved in, and then it reverted to a month to month basis. Which is where we are now in the lease.

Our neighbor who was a friend of our landlord informed us of this and said he would speak to our landlord's sister, who lives in Florida, about us and the rental property. She told him that she was fine with letting us stay there if we wanted. However, we don't even know if she is now the executor of his estate (he was loaded apparently.) Hell, we don't even know if his will was read yet, but it's been 3 weeks, so we assume that has been done.

We have not been contacted by anyone regarding whom to send the rent to, or sign a new lease. Nothing has been told to us.
The only contact we've had was from his sister who sent us a thank you card for the flowers we sent to the funeral. She didn't mention anything about rent in the card, or that she would be calling us from Florida to speak to us.

I'm fine if whoever own this house wants to raise rent, sell the house, or whatever. I would just like to have an idea of what's going on.

Is there anything that I should do (put rent in escrow)? The rent was due on the 1st. Is it up to us to try and find out who even owns the house at this point?
Old 08-02-07, 03:04 PM
X
Administrator

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I would just write out the rent check and mail it to him as usual.

His estate can eventually cash it and you're keeping your end of the deal.
Old 08-02-07, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you have an online savings account? I'd put each months rent in there until you get someone to tell you what is going on and who to send it too. You might as well make interest off of their mistake while you are waiting.
Old 08-02-07, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by X
I would just write out the rent check and mail it to him as usual.

His estate can eventually cash it and you're keeping your end of the deal.

That's what I thought, but my wife felt odd writing a check to a dead person.
Old 08-02-07, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 144 Likes on 85 Posts
Originally Posted by DarthVong
That's what I thought, but my wife felt odd writing a check to a dead person.
Don't worry. Unless, of course, he cashes it himself.
Old 08-02-07, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mopower
Do you have an online savings account? I'd put each months rent in there until you get someone to tell you what is going on and who to send it too. You might as well make interest off of their mistake while you are waiting.
Don't do this. Your obligation to pay rent did not die with your landlord. Don't change what you normally do, sent a check each month. Keep doing it.
Old 08-02-07, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It could be a while before anything really happens, it depends on a lot of factors. I'd agree that continuing to pay rent as normal unless otherwise notified should work fine. Hell, maybe they won't even cash the checks!
Old 08-02-07, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mopower
True, but would that be considered that we were making good on our rent? My concern is that towards the end of this month we end up getting an eviction notice for not paying the rent. Even though I have no idea whom to send the rent to.

Basically, I want to make sure we don't have to move because of something we failed to do.
Old 08-02-07, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just keep paying as in the past until you receive instructions otherwise.
Old 08-02-07, 03:19 PM

Just pretend you heard nothing about this death and proceed as normal. It sounds like your neighbor can easily and quickly contact the sister, so ask him for a number if it bothers you that much.
Old 08-02-07, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Make sure you let the sister know that he lowered your rent just before he died.
Old 08-02-07, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mail the check with the landlords name on it. Who ever has Power of Attorney can/will cash them. Don't mail them to anyone else....(like the sister, who may or may not be the one managing the money/estate)
Old 08-02-07, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

True, but would that be considered that we were making good on our rent? My concern is that towards the end of this month we end up getting an eviction notice for not paying the rent. Even though I have no idea whom to send the rent to.

Basically, I want to make sure we don't have to move because of something we failed to do.

Yeah you're right it was bad advice.
Old 08-02-07, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Until you hear different, continue as if nothing has happened.

Had a similar situation once. Rented a house with a one year lease. Met the owner when he showed me the house and again on the day I moved in. One month later I went to his house to pay him the rent. No one was home so I put the envelope in the mailbox which was crammed with other mail. Concerned that the check may get lost among all those other envelopes I called his house to make sure he got it. Turned out he had died. All that other mail had been condolence(sp?) cards and such. Whoever I spoke to on the phone(daughter?) told me to make checks out to his wife.
For the next ten years I sent a check each month to a woman I'd never met(she never raised the rent either).
Then one day her son comes by because she had died and he owned the house now. There had been other rental property which had been sold off one by one as the renters who lived there when his dad was alive had moved out. Mine was the last one.
I started paying him each month. He got into it. Started really fixing the place up and buying other houses to rent. He raised my rent by $25. About three years later I was able to get a house of my own.
Old 08-02-07, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here's the other odd thing. Apparently he hated his sister and had little contact with her and her side of the family.
Our neighbor said that it would be like our landlord to just leave us the house. We weren't contacted by his attorney or anything, but it seemed like his sister did not get the house as she originally thought at the funeral. Which would explain why after she has not contacted us, because the house is not hers.
If in fact our landlord left the house to us, we would have been contacted by his attorney wouldn't we?
He always spoke with my wife and claimed to have no family and didn't even need the rent we sent him. Most times our rent check would sit for months until my wife reminded him about it.

I just can't understand why we haven't been contacted. If I inherited property I would want to check it out and talk with the people who are living on it.

Last edited by DarthVong; 08-02-07 at 04:19 PM.
Old 08-02-07, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Here's the other odd thing. Apparently he hated his sister and had little contact with her and her side of the family.
Our neighbor said that it would be like our landlord to just leave us the house. We weren't contacted by his attorney or anything, but it seemed like his sister did not get the house as she originally thought at the funeral. Which would explain why after she has not contacted us, because the house is not hers.
If in fact our landlord left the house to us, we would have been contacted by his attorney wouldn't we?
He always spoke with my wife and claimed to have no family and didn't even need the rent we sent him. Most times our rent check would sit for months until my wife reminded him about it.

I just can't understand why we haven't been contacted. If I inherited property I would want to check it out and talk with the people who are living on it.
You might need to do some legwork and contact the attorney to find out the answer. It's worth looking into.
Old 08-02-07, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Interestingly enough I once went to a doctor in West Virginia for a sprained knee. We hit it off, became fast friends and often went out drinking/gambling/whoring together. I moved away right before he retired, but he promised me that he was going to leave me one of his rental properties after he died so that his sister who he hated wouldn't get it. A couple weeks ago I got a call from an attorney who was handling his estate informing me that the property was now mine.

I'm fairly confident that you are currently residing in my house. If you could be out of the house by the end of August I would appreciate it. If you would like to renegotiate your rent agreement, please send me a PM within the next three days.

Thanks!
Old 08-02-07, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
You might need to do some legwork and contact the attorney to find out the answer. It's worth looking into.
I thought about going to the County clerk an obtaining a copy of the will to see who in fact is supposed to get this property and then maybe contact them.
Old 08-02-07, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mordred
Interestingly enough I once went to a doctor in West Virginia for a sprained knee. We hit it off, became fast friends and often went out drinking/gambling/whoring together. I moved away right before he retired, but he promised me that he was going to leave me one of his rental properties after he died so that his sister who he hated wouldn't get it. A couple weeks ago I got a call from an attorney who was handling his estate informing me that the property was now mine.

I'm fairly confident that you are currently residing in my house. If you could be out of the house by the end of August I would appreciate it. If you would like to renegotiate your rent agreement, please send me a PM within the next three days.

Thanks!
'

Considering my landlord was an OBGYN, that means your a lesbian and I hope your a hot one.

pics?
Old 08-02-07, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First, contest the will.
Old 08-02-07, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Interesting ... I wonder if maybe your landlord just donated the property to a charity. The charity can do whatever they please with it -- but in the meantime, I would continue writing checks to his name and hopefully they won't be cashed for a long time.

Oddly, I heard a similar story on a bus a while back. These guys lived rent free for about 5 months before things caught up.
Old 08-03-07, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

'

Considering my landlord was an OBGYN, that means your a lesbian and I hope your a hot one.

pics?
I do like the ladies.

Now get out of my house before I call the cops!
Old 08-03-07, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mordred

Thanks!
Lol, what on Earth.
Old 08-03-07, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Enjoy living in a rent-free home!

A guy I knew in college had something like this happen, didn't pay rent for over a year and eventually just moved out.

Lucky bastard.
Old 08-03-07, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It's too bad you didn't find the body before anyone else did. You could have staged various public appearances with him, taken him out waterskiing, etc., using pulleys and other simple contraptions to make it appear as if he were still alive. No one would know the difference, and you could've lived rent free for as long as you wanted!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.