Reload this Page >

Icy Hot Stuntaz's Hummer Gets Jacked

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 07-18-07, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok - I don't agree with vandalism - but I had to admit, this did make me snicker. Mostly at the thought of some 60 year old prius driver with a bat vandalizing this shmuck's car...

And who would buy a hummer with gas prices where they are now?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...?tid=informbox

Hummer Owner Gets Angry Message
Vandals Batter D.C. Man's SUV, Slash Its Tires and Scratch In an Eco Note

By Allison Klein
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, July 18, 2007; B01

On a narrow, leafy street in Northwest Washington, where Prius hybrid cars and Volvos are the norm, one man bought a flashy gray Hummer that was too massive to fit in his garage.

So he parked the seven-foot-tall behemoth on the street in front of his house and smiled politely when his eco-friendly neighbors looked on in disapproval at his "dream car."

It lasted five days on the street before two masked men took a bat to every window, a knife to each 38-inch tire and scratched into the body: "FOR THE ENVIRON."

"The thought of somebody vandalizing it never crossed my mind," said Gareth Groves, 32, who lives with his mother in a three-story home in the 3400 block of Brandywine Street NW in American University Park. "I've kind of been in shock."

Now, as Groves ponders what to do with the remains of his $38,000 SUV, he has been the target of a number of people who have driven by the crime scene in his upscale neighborhood and glared at him in smug satisfaction.

"I'd say one in five people who come by have that 'you-got-what-you-deserve' look," said his friend Andy Sexton, 27, who is visiting from Arkansas and has been helping Groves deal with fallout from the crime.

Neighbor Lucille Liem, 37, who owns a Prius hybrid, said that a common sentiment in the neighborhood is that large vehicles are impractical and a strain on the Earth -- and Hummers in particular are a symbol of consumer excess.

"The neighborhood in general is very concerned with the environment," said Liem, whose Prius gets about 48 miles a gallon compared with the Hummer's 14 miles a gallon. "It's more liberal leaning. It's ridiculous to be driving a Hummer."

Liem added quickly that she does not condone violence.

Another neighbor, Lani Fremaux, 58, said she bought a T-shirt months ago with a picture of a Hummer and above it the word "Bummer." She wore the shirt proudly but said she is so upset with recent events on her street that she might retire it.

"They've got everything at their disposal in this city to make a statement in a legal way," Fremaux said of the bat-wielding men who struck out at the Hummer. "I consider this a hate crime."

Police said they see small acts of vandalism in the area from time to time, but they have not seen anything so severe, or with such a clear political message, in recent years.

"This seems to be an isolated event," Cmdr. Andy Solberg said.

Investigators said they are searching for the vandals but don't have many leads. Witnesses saw two men about six feet tall with bandanas or masks over their faces smash up the car about 3:30 a.m. Monday and then run off.

Groves's mother, Phyllis Groves, 70, said she is sad for her son because he has wanted a Hummer for a while. But even she did not exactly approve of the purchase.

"I teased him because of the gas mileage," she said. "But he wanted a Hummer. He didn't have other gas guzzlers in mind."

He bought the used 2005 vehicle a month ago from a dentist in Fairfax County and left it in a shop for several weeks so it could be outfitted to his specifications -- new, bigger tires and a "lift kit," meaning it would be higher off the ground.

Groves, who grew up in the District and works in marketing for a local radio station, said he wanted the car in part because he is starting a company, Washington Sports Marketing, that is "image-based."

He said he wants to get it towed and repaired but fears extremists might not be done making an example of him.

"I'm worried about what I do now," he said. "If I get it fixed, do I put it back in the same spot three weeks from now?"
Old 07-18-07, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

He should cut down 3 trees, lay them in his driveway and carve "FOR THE SUV"
Old 07-18-07, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice neighborhood.
Old 07-18-07, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

@ Thor's idea.
Old 07-18-07, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
He should cut down 3 trees, lay them in his driveway and carve "FOR THE SUV"

I don't like Hummers per se, but jeeesh, you don't have to ruin someone's property to make a point.

P.S. I see so many Hummers and Prius's, I could puke.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 07-18-07 at 01:19 AM.
Old 07-18-07, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Come to think of it this kind of irritates me. Why the fuck would Green people do something like this. The car is new, more than likely is more environmentally friendly than most Hippies running around in their decades' old VW Buses, with peace symbols.

Gas? Well, everyone needs gas. It is NOT optional. Maybe in Bicycle World it is. How much gas does Al Gore use on a typical month. I shutter the thought.

Anyway, not trying to get this into the political forum, but this environment shit and cowardice way of retaliating needs to chill out. Just because someone has a more expensive vehicle does not automatically mean it's bad. People need to take a look at their own fucked up lives and what they drive.

What's next? People vandalizing your home because you don't have an energy-efficient air conditioning system?
Old 07-18-07, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
What's next? People vandalizing your home because you don't have an energy-efficient air conditioning system?
You put into words what I was trying to think - the story also kinda pissed me off as I thought about it. Pretty much I'm leaning towards the Hummer owner being justified in finding the two Masked Men and ensuring they stop emitting carbon dioxide. Or at least shoving a few carbon footprints up their asses.
Old 07-18-07, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by orangerory
And who would buy a hummer with gas prices where they are now?
Gareth Groves, 32, who lives with his mother
I think I know how he can afford the gas.
Old 07-18-07, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hummers are $38K in the States? Damn.
Old 07-18-07, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i was going to post the same thing - its helarious that this guy drives around in a 38,000 dollar car but lives with his mom. perhaps the 32 year old could afford to be on his own if he didnt put so much money into his car. the priorities people have are pathetic sometimes.

(and no i dont condone what the people did to his car - its bs and i hope he finds them and sues the crap out of them)
Old 07-18-07, 04:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

To be fair, the story said his mother is 70, he may be there helping her out.
Old 07-18-07, 04:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

wasn't there a study done that the energy and pollution to make a prius (or hybrid car) is far greater than the pollution of a h2 would ever make in its lifetime?
Old 07-18-07, 05:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 07-18-07, 08:13 AM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mole177
wasn't there a study done that the energy and pollution to make a prius (or hybrid car) is far greater than the pollution of a h2 would ever make in its lifetime?
I don't think the Pruis surpassed the Hummer in environmental damage, but the battery technology causes a lot of environmental harm.
Old 07-18-07, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

none of the windows looked like they shattered from the baseball bat. impressive
Old 07-18-07, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wonder if they'll charge the hippies with terrorism if/when they are caught.
Old 07-18-07, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Come to think of it this kind of irritates me. Why the fuck would Green people do something like this. The car is new, more than likely is more environmentally friendly than most Hippies running around in their decades' old VW Buses, with peace symbols.

Gas? Well, everyone needs gas. It is NOT optional.
Has it occured to you that you can be mad at the vandals without the need to cast the Hummer in an eco-friendly light?
Old 07-18-07, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
A lift kit... *snicker*. Wasn't high enough, was it?

I don't approve of the vandalism, I usually just laugh my ass off at guys in big trucks with lifts. I think it has even stronger Freudian implications than a sports car.
Old 07-18-07, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Lady, if you're driving a Prius, you're still part of the problem. Walk to the bus stop.

Oh wait. There is no bus stop, because no one in this upscale neighborhood will take the bus!
Old 07-18-07, 10:53 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by orangerory
Investigators said they are searching for the vandals but don't have many leads. Witnesses saw two men about six feet tall with bandanas or masks over their faces smash up the car about 3:30 a.m. Monday and then run off.
Part of me wonders if maybe this was the work of some clever criminals... maybe they're just people this guy pissed off at some point, and they scratched in the eco stuff to throw suspicion off themselves?
Old 07-18-07, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Good for them. I'm glad to see people actually doing something for the environment. Well, unless you count the replacement of the windows, the paint that the Hummer will require and the four new tires. Nice one, ecotards.
Old 07-18-07, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DRG
Part of me wonders if maybe this was the work of some clever criminals... maybe they're just people this guy pissed off at some point, and they scratched in the eco stuff to throw suspicion off themselves?
"For the envor, er...enviromint, uh... invrin, forget it, enviro!!"
Old 07-18-07, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I certainly don't agree with destroying someone's property to make a point.

I do think this guy is a status-seeking douchebag with a small weiner though, and that goes double because he can't even fit that monstrosity in his garage. Who needs such a ridiculously large vehicle? Especially a single man.
Old 07-18-07, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the general consensus of this thread is that, while not agreeing with the vandalism, it is kinda funny that it happened to this D-bag.
Old 07-18-07, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cdollaz
I think the general consensus of this thread is that, while not agreeing with the vandalism, it is kinda funny that it happened to this D-bag.
Guess I missed the part that made him a d-bag. Because he bought a hummer?

The guy needs to get a security camera installed to catch the cowards.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.