Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Am I the only one that hates panhandlers?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 07-11-07, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to give out spare change here and there to them. There was this one guy who used to sit in front of the local 7-11 I go to every day for coffee. I gave him some change the first time he asked. The next day he was there again, gave him more change. Day after that there again, asks me for change. I told him I gave him money the last 2 days in a row. He tells me he's never asked me for change before. At that point I decided to stop giving away my money to any waste of space that asked me for it. There are these 2 crackheads (a black male and black female) that ride around on their bikes every day asking for money. They've asked me at least 5 times in the last week. Theyll stop you at a red light, at a gas sta., anywhere they can get to you. They were actually at a Wendys drive through going from car to car asking for money which to me is obnoxious. Of course, I told her to beat it and rolled up my window. Today, this spanish or puerto rican dude comes up to my car wearing a polo shirt and hat with nice jeans on and asks me for a dollar because he ran out of minutes on his phone and needs to make a phone call. I wanted to get out of my car and slap him in the head. They used to ask for a dime or quarter to get something to eat, now they ask for a dollar to reload on their cell phone minutes. I'd like to start a movement to punch a panhandler in the face whenever they ask for money.
Old 07-11-07, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So you're the one that doesn't like them.
Old 07-11-07, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Since a good number of them actually make more money annually than do the people they ask for money from, then yes. Get a job, you lazy slobs.

What really sucks about them is if somebody genuinely need some help, it makes it harder for them to get it with so many con artists running around.
Old 07-11-07, 07:09 PM

starting this thread also got me thinking about some more things that I hate...

-obnoxious use of cellphones...especially self important retards that wear blue tooth earpieces.

-wreckless drivers

-any female that admires/tries to be like paris hilton

-anyone that walks around rapping to themselves (I have to move out of the ghetto)

that's all for now
Old 07-11-07, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
was the panhandler at the 7-11 white?
Old 07-11-07, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JZ1276

-wreckless drivers
I'm fine with wreckless drivers. It's the reckless ones that tick me off!
Old 07-11-07, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Old 07-11-07, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
-obnoxious use of cellphones...especially self important retards that wear blue tooth earpieces.

My co-worker and I went to get his car after it got serviced at the dealership and the guy behind the counter kept talking on his blue tooth earpiece (it was obviously a personal call from what we heard) and was completely ignoring us. After awhile a line started forming and my friend shouted out "Hey Lt. Uhura get the hell off the phone and go check on my car!"

There was loud laughter from everyone and he immedietly got off the phone. What an ass.
Old 07-11-07, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by LurkerDan
was the panhandler at the 7-11 white?

i have no idea what he was he was so covered in dirt and grime
Old 07-11-07, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Canadian Bacon

im on long island in nassau nxt to queens and my location isnt on there so i'd hate to live in those places
Old 07-11-07, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 203 Likes on 121 Posts
I never give money to beggars but I always enjoy watching the "shift change" near my office.

There are always people at the corners where I get off the freeway for work. I've seen them switch corners in an orderly fashion. I've seen one walk away and get into the back of someone's car (obviously they knew them) and drive off at 5 o'clock (quittin' time! ). I've even seen one hand off his sign to someone showing up later on.

I always wonder if there is a schedule posted somewhere nearby...
Old 07-11-07, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by calhoun07
Since a good number of them actually make more money annually than do the people they ask for money from, then yes. Get a job, you lazy slobs.
Why don't you just consider that their job is panhandling? And lazy? These guys are out on the street, on foot, battling the elements, battling people that call them names, etc., etc. I really don't think that laziness is their problem.
Old 07-11-07, 09:11 PM

I used to give out spare change here and there to them. There was this one guy who used to sit in front of the local 7-11 I go to every day for coffee. I gave him some change the first time he asked. The next day he was there again, gave him more change. Day after that there again, asks me for change. I told him I gave him money the last 2 days in a row. He tells me he's never asked me for change before. At that point I decided to stop giving away my money to any waste of space that asked me for it. There are these 2 crackheads (a black male and black female) that ride around on their bikes every day asking for money. They've asked me at least 5 times in the last week. Theyll stop you at a red light, at a gas sta., anywhere they can get to you. They were actually at a Wendys drive through going from car to car asking for money which to me is obnoxious. Of course, I told her to beat it and rolled up my window. Today, this hispanic or puerto rican dude comes up to my car wearing a polo shirt and hat with nice jeans on and asks me for a dollar because he ran out of minutes on his phone and needs to make a phone call. I wanted to get out of my car and slap him in the head. They used to ask for a dime or quarter to get something to eat, now they ask for a dollar to reload on their cell phone minutes. I'd like to start a movement to punch a panhandler in the face whenever they ask for money.
Fixed.
Old 07-11-07, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes. I dislike them. I do not deal with them.

-p
Old 07-11-07, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't see that many panhandlers, maybe once a month, but I don't give anything to them.

There was this liquor store across the street from where I work, I used to stop there for a soda over break on pretty much a daily basis. There was this old guy who used to stand on a nearby corner with a "will work for food" sign, they told me that people would give him food from time to time and he would thank them, then throw it away when they left. Money he would pocket of course. Then at 4pm or so a woman would pick him up in a new Lincoln, his shift was over I guess.

The one time I gave away money that I can remember was when I was in this fruit market in South America, it was open air but on concrete - very dirty concrete. A pretty rough place, I was literally given a tire iron to carry with me by the person I was with. But, it had great fresh fruit at great prices. Anyway, there were some grapes that were crushed on this dirty concrete floor, and a couple kids (5 years or so) were gathering them up to eat. This guy was sweeping the floor and was shooing the kids out of the way. They weren't asking anybody for money, but I gave them the equivalent of about $5 to get some real food.
Old 07-11-07, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by polietilen
Fixed.

spanish / hispanic wtf was there to fix ??
Old 07-11-07, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I especially hate the ones that come up to you and give you the story they are from out of town and out of gas and need money to get home. WTF did you drive 2-4 hours from home if you had no money for gas to get home? It is just the worst excuse I have heard.
Old 07-11-07, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't like them, I don't give money to them. However, they are not sub-human. A homeless guy (who I would <i>assume</i> was also a panhandler) was beaten by 3 guys that came out of a bar Saturday night.

Totally. not. cool.
Old 07-11-07, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by ChiTownAbs, Inc
I don't like them, I don't give money to them. However, they are not sub-human.
Exactly. I don't give them money, but I will treat them like human beings.

It's not very hard to say no to someone. I've been approached hundreds, of times for change and I've had maybe two times where it was a somewhat bad experience. Contrast that with the bad experiences I've had with salespeople and I'll take panhandlers any day of the week.
Old 07-12-07, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

-wreckless drivers

-any female that admires/tries to be like paris hilton

-anyone that walks around rapping to themselves (I have to move out of the ghetto)

that's all for now

agreed (check out my sig...might have to add some of yours to mine...you got some good ones in there)
Old 07-12-07, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by atari2600
agreed (check out my sig...might have to add some of yours to mine...you got some good ones in there) People who are Douchebags: people who have to be on their cell phones ALL the time (bonus points to those who arent even talking to anyone)...people who wear sunglasses indoors...people who don't courtesy wave when you let them in front of you in heavy traffic...people who think wearing their bluetooth makes them worth a damn

awesome...although i'm part of the wearing sunglasses indoors people.
Old 07-12-07, 02:35 AM

spanish / hispanic wtf was there to fix ??
well, spanish technically means somebody from Spain, which I'm sure is not what you were referring to since you also said puerto rican. Even though spanish people are sometimes referred to as hispanic, they're considered european, which is really what they are. just trying to be friendly and helping you be more precise.

Last edited by polietilen; 07-12-07 at 03:12 AM.
Old 07-12-07, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No.
Old 07-12-07, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So I live in Boston, college capital of the world, and I live on-campus, and we constantly have beggars (or panhandlers as you call them) standing right off campus waiting for us to walk by and follow us around.

Usually I respond with something along the lines of "I'm $X thousand in debt, I should be asking you for money"

One time I had a guy ask me for money while he was wearing an iPod. I laughed at him.
Old 07-12-07, 07:20 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I love panhandlers. Especially the ones who really really beg.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.