Reload this Page >

odd confrontation with a homeless person

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 07-09-07, 02:16 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While a female friend and I were leaving a train station late at night a young gentleman walked behind us at about 15 feet distance saying 'hey' louder and louder as we ignored him. I kept walking until he was getting closer asking for change (change for his bill, not actual change). he was more clean than a homeless person, that made me think in retrospect he was more than begging/asking for change. As we walked on, saying 'no' he was getting upset that we were still walking. He was saying things like 'why you all afraid like im a killa or something' and it was pissing me off that he was so persistant and insulting. We kept walking and eventually said 'outta my way' and walked past us angrily.

Later I felt stupid thinking of what I could have done differently to not seem like a wuss--something confrontational I could have said/done that would neutralize things better but part of me thinks it would have upset him more and put him into 'killa' mode if he was indeed intending to mug us.

shoulda, woulda coulda?
Old 07-09-07, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

dude.. i was only asking for change....
Old 07-09-07, 02:23 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

wtf you need change for at 1am?
Old 07-09-07, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe the bill acceptor on the Coke machine was busted.
Old 07-09-07, 02:27 PM
Banned

Just stay away from my Rolex man, that's all I ask of the homeless....
Old 07-09-07, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

the skank only wanted exact change
Old 07-09-07, 02:30 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
some stupid homeless bitch tried to ask for money while my friend and I were paying the bill at a restaurant (outdoor seating). She got all angry and verbally insultive that we didn't give her anything... (well if you act that way, no one would give you anything, duh)
Old 07-09-07, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What would Patrick Bateman do?
Old 07-09-07, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Save Ferris
While a female friend and I were leaving a train station late at night a young gentleman walked behind us at about 15 feet distance saying 'hey' louder and louder as we ignored him. I kept walking until he was getting closer asking for change (change for his bill, not actual change). he was more clean than a homeless person, that made me think in retrospect he was more than begging/asking for change. As we walked on, saying 'no' he was getting upset that we were still walking. He was saying things like 'why you all afraid like im a killa or something' and it was pissing me off that he was so persistant and insulting. We kept walking and eventually said 'outta my way' and walked past us angrily.

Later I felt stupid thinking of what I could have done differently to not seem like a wuss--something confrontational I could have said/done that would neutralize things better but part of me thinks it would have upset him more and put him into 'killa' mode if he was indeed intending to mug us.

shoulda, woulda coulda?
You could've kicked his ass and then landed yourself in jail. He probably wanted a confrontation anyway.
Old 07-09-07, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Very unprofessional
Old 07-09-07, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 207 Likes on 114 Posts
^^^
Old 07-09-07, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

shoulda, woulda coulda?
You did the right thing. He possibly was trying to stop you long enough to stick you with a knife or something.
Old 07-09-07, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Tell him in a firm voice that you are not interested in whatever he is selling as you have no money on you and to leave you alone.

If he acts all confused, like," I am not selling anything", repeat that you are not interested in whatever it is he is selling, he will get annoyed and leave. oh and don't stop walking Yelling NOT INTERESTED after that a couple times sometimes helps too

The only way you can not look like a wuss is to just turn around and chuck norris kung fu kick his ass to death.
Old 07-09-07, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Later I felt stupid thinking of what I could have done differently to not seem like a wuss--

shoulda, woulda coulda?
Turn around and say, "Dude. I don't have any change." and go on your merry way.
Old 07-09-07, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 458 Likes on 223 Posts
You'd be surprised how many shrinking violet types are intimidated by the confrontational homeless routine. That's the only reason it works. Keep your money in your pocket and direct him to the nearest shelter.
Old 07-09-07, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'll usually acknowledge them and tell them I don't have anything. If you ignore people, they could get pissed that they're being ignored or think that you just don't hear them. It usually works just fine.

Well, except for one time. My fiancee and I were in Seattle and were approached by this older black man for some change. We both said we didn't have any to give and he said, "What's wrong, you don't like black people?" I just laughed and kept walking. He was walking slightly ahead of us at this point and asked another couple...they refused and so he said to them, "You two should hook up with those two back there. They hate black people, too." and pointed to us. It was pretty funny. Would have been more funny if he didn't present as someone with a mental illness.
Old 07-09-07, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by solipsta
My fiancee and I were in Seattle and were approached by this older black man for some change. We both said we didn't have any to give and he said, "What's wrong, you don't like black people?" I just laughed and kept walking. He was walking slightly ahead of us at this point and asked another couple...they refused and so he said to them, "You two should hook up with those two back there. They hate black people, too." and pointed to us. It was pretty funny. Would have been more funny if he didn't present as someone with a mental illness.
I had that exact same thing happen to my family and I just above the Wacker Drive subway stop in Chicago.

I guess the bum must've guilted enough money off somebody to find his way to Seattle.
Old 07-10-07, 05:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 76 Likes on 65 Posts
My girlfriend and I were leaving a concert early one night. Two rough looking guys, I'm assuming homeless, were walking ahead of us. As we overtook them, one of them asked me if I wanted to buy the blanket that he was carrying. I did my typical "no, thanks" and we kept walking. He kept asking me if I wanted it, and I kept telling him I didn't.

We got about half a block away, and he was still yelling at me, getting upset that I wouldn't buy his blanket. He finally got so mad that he threw the blanket on the ground, and stormed off. His friend yelled something along the lines of "See what you did? Now my boyfriend is all pissed off. Why couldn't you just buy the blanket?" They turned at the corner and walked off into the night.

I went back and picked up the blanket. After washing it, I now use it to cover some stuff in my garage.
Old 07-10-07, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had something similar happen while I was pumping my gas at a gas station at night.

Some ragged looking dude asks me if I can by him a drink. I said I didn't have any cash. which was true. He then asks me to go inside and put a beer on my credit card then. I laughed in his face and told him no. He just kept pushing and pushing until he finaly gave and took off into some bushes.
Old 07-10-07, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 181 Likes on 120 Posts
Was he dressed as a tree?
Old 07-10-07, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was in DC last week and had a few run ins with homeless/crazy people. I went to the Chipotle in Chinatown. At the line to the cash register some 13-15 year old kid comes up to me and asks for $1. I said I didn't have anything. Then he asked my friend. My friend said no and told him to get out of her. The kid then called us motherfuckers and left but he was still in the restaurant asking people for change. How can they do this in a private place? I'm not surprised the workers there tolerate it. No matter where I went in DC the staff at restaurants couldn't really care less about their jobs.
Old 07-10-07, 12:51 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Mopower
...My friend said no and told him to get out of her.
Old 07-10-07, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by mndtrp
I went back and picked up the blanket. After washing it, I now use it to cover some stuff in my garage.
Moving to Hot Deals!
Old 07-10-07, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 547 Likes on 395 Posts
I usually combat this problem by asking homeless people for change before they can ask me. That confuses them, and they won't bother you.
Old 07-10-07, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones
I usually combat this problem by asking homeless people for change before they can ask me. That confuses them, and they won't bother you.
Still hanging out on Mill, eh?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.