Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Going to Bermuda next week, first cruise, any advice?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 06-14-07, 10:29 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

It's a 7 day Royal Caribbean cruise, with 3 full days in Bermuda.

I have a travel book on Bermuda and will do some online research of course, but prefer to get everything I need in life from you all.

Anyone been there recently and have any quick advice?

What is a must see? Is the bus system cool, or should we rent scooters?

And any first time cruiser advice? Or specific to our ship, the Empress of the Seas?
Old 06-15-07, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Congrats! I used to work for Royal Caribbean but never made it on a cruise.

I would be sure to take your bathing suit in your carry on if you want to swim right away (I've heard to luggage doesn't show up till late at night). If you're doing any shore excursions, book them as soon as you board because they're first come first serve (if you already booked them, great, but they'd be offline by now for online bookings. They always save a percentage for onboard, though. Someone who's actually been on one of the ships could probably clarify this, but it was my impression that it was better to book from the tv in your room than the shore excursion desk, which may get lines, or worse, accept the shore excursion paperwork in a pile and process them randomly. If you're planning to eat in a specialty restaurant like Portofino's or Chops, book that right away too (same with spa treatments). I've heard the iceshow tickets on Voyager class ships like the Explorer go fast, too, so be sure to listen for when they hand those out.

I've heard that they'll try to give you drinks in some kind of special cup and many people don't realize it costs extra. You might want to only get one or none, and ask for a plain cup (not sure of that, but I know I've heard that somewhere).

The forums at cruisecritic.com are great for info on specific cruise lines, so you might want to check that out if you haven't already.

Have a great trip!
Old 06-15-07, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Some things to see in Bermuda

The Swizzle Inn
Horseshoe Bay
The Town of St. Georges
Rent a Moped
The Royal Navy Dockyard

Have Fun!

Last edited by Brian Shannon; 06-15-07 at 07:39 AM.
Old 06-15-07, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take something along for motion sickness!!!

Old 06-15-07, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We went to Bermuda on our first cruise last year about the same time... Its great. Get a scooter. We didn't but we were wishing that we did at the end. We did take the bus, and its pretty easy to do. The aquarium was pretty fun and we took a night cruise out to the triangle that was pretty cool as well. The favorite thing we did was going to the caves though. So I would definitely check those out. Also recommend to royal navy boat yard and buy a rum cake, pretty tasty.
Old 06-15-07, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
I've been on a dozen cruises or so and I've not much time this morning so here are my top 3 things to make sure you have.

1) Meds: Dramamine, Airborne, Tylenol, Off!
2) Clothing: Swimsuit, formal wear (suit, dress). Extra pair of walking shoes.
3) Equipment: Camera, GPS (for exploring), walkie-talkies to keep track of the kids while onboard.
Old 06-15-07, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Have a dark and cloudy - if I remember correctly - w/ Groslinger rum. I actually stayed in a house for about 5 days. One of the guys had a boat so a lot of time we just cruised around on that and then just hit various spots for dinner and drinks.

The bus is fine and the ferry is pretty good too, which was good for us since one of the stops was only a 5 minute walk from where we stayed.

Others have mentioned already some decent places.
Old 06-22-07, 11:09 AM

Thanks for the tips all. I'm frantically packing, doing laundry, etc today, leave tomorrow AM. Will report back next week.
Old 06-22-07, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've been there many times.

Bermuda is not really a "sight-seeing" place. IMO, it's also singularly ill-suited to visiting by cruise. People taking cruises are typically only there for a few days and simply won't appreciate the place. I don't know why it's such a popular cruise destination. It's the type of place you should go to and spend at least a week (two would be better) relaxing, if you can afford it. It works best if you go there without an agenda and without a need to accomplish anything at all other than sitting on a beach all day and then going to bed early.

It's essentially a giant, enormously expensive botanical garden with lots of golf. There's almost no night life, the food in middling and the shopping is very restrained. On the upside, it's extremely beautiful, extremely relaxing, and lacks the crassness of most Caribbean resorts. There's still a strong British influence to the place, you can feel like you're in a time-capsule of the old British Empire at times. It makes the place very charming. Also, as the Bermudian GDP per capita exceeds that of the US, the staff at the shops and hotels probably make more than you do and are generally extremely cheerful and helpful. You never feel like your exploiting the locals, you more likely feel jealous of their lifestyle.

It's a great place, but a cruise just isn't the way to see it...
Old 06-22-07, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

don't die.

-p
Old 06-22-07, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 99 Likes on 58 Posts
We just got back from an Alaskan cruise last week. I'll expound a bit on what others have said.

1) Check the website to find out the attire for dinners on the ship and pack accordingly.
2) Book spa and the fancy restaurants if you want them the moment you get on board. Don't explore, walk straight there. Or go straight to your room and book over the phone (the room might not be ready if you board early. We got on our ship at 12:00 and the room wasn't ready until 1:00.)
3) Bring a lot of books or something to do while you are cruising. Alaska had scenery, I think you'll be looking at a lot of ocean
4) After you've booked everything you want to do, really explore the ship and find out about all the services and options they offer. They don't really "force" you to do anything. For example, some nights we went to the dining room, one night we snagged some sushi and snacks and camped on the deck chairs for dinner. Lots of options.
5) Have fun! It's a blast.
Old 06-22-07, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just got back form a cruise that stopped in Bermuda. The water was cold :/

I wouldn't rent a scooter, just take taxi's around. They drive on the opposite side of the road than we do, so that might be something to consider against scootering.

On another note, a friend of mine got hit by a taxi while we we in line waiting ot get back on the ship :/
Old 06-22-07, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Bring enough money to bribe the local police.
Old 06-22-07, 04:50 PM

You're going around the triangle, right?
Old 06-22-07, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

We go to Bermuda three to four times a year and I can highly recommend you check out, The Dockyard (swim with the dolphins...very kewl) Horshoe Bay and Elbow Beach! Personally, the taxis are cheap enough so, We've never rented a scooter. The bus system/water taxi is equally good. The scooters are loud, smelly and most visitors drive like madmen. The locals do as well but, at least they stay on the left side of the road! Can't say the same for the guests.

Enjoy

Last edited by buckee1; 06-22-07 at 05:49 PM.
Old 06-22-07, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don't get a black henna tattoo.
Old 06-23-07, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

You're going around the triangle, right?
Yeah...Don't go in the triangle cause you wont be posting here for along time!
Old 06-23-07, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Flashback
Have a dark and cloudy.
dark and STORMY
Old 06-23-07, 02:28 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Old 06-24-07, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RoyalTea
dark and STORMY
Thanks - I thought I was wrong but close.
Old 06-24-07, 04:59 PM

Everything you need to know is here - www.cruisecritic.com.

Look for the info for first-time cruisers. It covers everything. No point in repeating it all.

All about Bermuda: http://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/area.cfm?area=5

Last edited by Altimus Prime; 06-25-07 at 12:01 AM.
Old 06-24-07, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don't bother with any of the silly tourist-y stuff like the Crystal Caves. As stated above, Bermuda is all about the relaxed atmosphere and the beautiful beaches. Relax and enjoy!
Old 07-02-07, 11:34 AM

Home now, thanks again for the advice all.

We had a great time, almost everything about the ship and Bermuda was perfect.

The beaches were beautiful, water cystal clear, people were friendly, ship was entertaining, etc.

I will probably post a full review at cruisecritic, but if anyone has any specific questions feel free to ask here or email me.
Old 07-02-07, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Make sure to get your hair beaded. It's a good look
Old 07-02-07, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Excuse me if I changed subject a little bit.

Originally Posted by Draven
We just got back from an Alaskan cruise last week.
What part of Alaska did you stopped by?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.