Reload this Page >

Online Education: Yay....or Nay?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 06-14-07, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was reading through the education thread, and it got me thinking about online education. I'll withhold my views on the subject until we get going, as to not slant the discussion one way or the other, but I'm curious to hear what everyone thinks about the experience, the quality, the effect, future implications, etc.

-p
Old 06-14-07, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Only good about Online Education is flexable hours. That's all I know about it.
Old 06-14-07, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

when i started univ of phoenix no one else was doing any decent online education. now there are better schools out there, but the options may be limited as far as degree.

it's OK for a bachelor's but for a graduate degree you need to go B&M. only reason i chose it was that i didn't want to spend 10 years in school part time getting a bachelor's and my schedule at the time didn't even allow for night classes
Old 06-14-07, 04:27 PM
Banned

It depends. Are you asking about online education (like an online MBA from Duke) or online-only colleges (like Phoenix, Walden, etc)?
Old 06-14-07, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 229 Likes on 139 Posts
My first 2 years of college were at community college that offered online classes. I took a few, and that is the extent of my knowledge of it. I liked the convenience, and it was great for avoiding speech class. Film 3 speeches? Sold.
Old 06-14-07, 04:30 PM
Retired

It's not something I'd want to do as you're just not going to learn as much without attending actual lectures, having face to face discussions with professors and other students and so forth IMO.
Old 06-14-07, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by al_bundy
it's OK for a bachelor's but for a graduate degree you need to go B&M.
That is pretty much what I think, but even then I think it is short-sighted because undergrad is as much about socialization as it is about the classes. I find the socialization/interaction piece to be a HUGE problem with online courses (I know....there are video conferences and whatnot, but that isn't the same experience)

I think it is a great way for a non-traditional student to get a degree, or someone else who doesn't have the time/ability to attend a traditional university, but I am not sold on the training.

-p
Old 06-14-07, 04:31 PM
Banned by request

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm doing just fine with my copy of Brain Age, thank you.
Old 06-14-07, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

don't forget about CLEP as well. I took 24 credits worth of CLEP's which is 8 classes and saved a lot of time and money. A lot of schools also give you credit for life experience. Between my military experience and CLEP i didn't have to take close to 50 credits worth of classes.

Just make sure your CLEP's don't overlap. i had to file an appeal because my academic counselor said i can take Western Civ 1 and 2 which I did. then they didn't want to count one of them. Make sure you have everything in writing or email which I had.

The study books are $20 - $30 depending where you buy them. i used the practice tests and wikipedia. CLEP's are like $100 each and you can take them almost everywhere.
Old 06-14-07, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Not to discredit life experience, but it sounds like they are giving away degrees for a fee (Okay...we'll take XX credits, if you take XX credits for $$$)

I guess that is one of my issues with online programs, the degree seems to mean less because it is far less selective now.

-p
Old 06-14-07, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

every school does this since they all have bs basket weaving classes. some schools with ROTC have military history classes which is what military experience counts as including physical education credits. since i also had 26 weeks of communications training along with other military schools it also came out to some credits. before i joined the army a warrant officer said that in the military you spend half your time in school. he was pretty close

the only upper division class i avoided was Human Growth and Development which I CLEP'd. all my major classes i had to take.

not even univ of phoenix lets you avoid required classes
Old 06-14-07, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
My first 2 years of college were at community college that offered online classes. I took a few, and that is the extent of my knowledge of it. I liked the convenience, and it was great for avoiding speech class. Film 3 speeches? Sold.

I took my community college speech class online as well!

I also took courses from MSU online. I don't think I came away with as much as I did with a traditional class. I took physics II, a humanities, and a packaging course.

There are teachers that work with my wife who got their masters online. Some of the assignments were searching for the same words on various search engines. That is a technology program...
Old 06-14-07, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 386 Likes on 186 Posts
I'm getting an education just hanging out at the Otter Forum. Can I get an O.A.?
Old 06-14-07, 07:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Vibiana
I'm getting an education just hanging out at the Otter Forum. Can I get an O.A.?
No, but if you don't stay away from Bando, you can get some V.D.
Old 06-14-07, 07:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by matta
No, but if you don't stay away from Bando, you can get some V.D.
Hmm.... I'm getting some interesting Google ads now....
Old 06-14-07, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would never take an online course but man would I love to teach one. All the pay, and none of the physical students...sign me up.
Old 06-14-07, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i think univ of phoenix pays around $1000 to teach a course

5 weeks and all you have to do is grade papers and read newsgroup postings. all you need is a master's degree
Old 06-14-07, 09:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by al_bundy
i think univ of phoenix pays around $1000 to teach a course

5 weeks and all you have to do is grade papers and read newsgroup postings. all you need is a master's degree
Which is why people don't take University of Phoenix degrees seriously.
Old 06-14-07, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nay for the most part.
Old 06-14-07, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've read that some healthcare fields are using online courses to teach many of their classes. Obviously lab and whatnot can't be done online, but I'm concerned that ANY courses like this can be taught online.....it is one thing to have a literature or history class, but something like Anatomy....it just doesn't seem like a good idea.

-p
Old 06-15-07, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Nay...
Old 06-15-07, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by matta
Which is why people don't take University of Phoenix degrees seriously.

I think for certain training and certification stuff it's OK. For example, if you needed to take an LSAT course in-class or online would be OK. Anything where self-study is really the most important part of it. There's some subjects that you may be able to self-study for, there's others where it's simply impossible to do that. An online MBA seems to be about the exact opposite of what's needed since MBA programs rely traditionally on class discussion for grading and it's about meeting and networking with other people.

I can understand online courses for older people who need the flexibility but I would still do it online through a real school as opposed to a virtual school, many of which seem like diploma mills.
Old 06-15-07, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Bus
An online MBA seems to be about the exact opposite of what's needed since MBA programs rely traditionally on class discussion for grading and it's about meeting and networking with other people.
Exactly. I always scratch my head when people say they are going for an online MBA....I mean, no offense....but it IS about networking and being able to effectively work with people.

-p
Old 06-15-07, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
I've actually done a bit of study on this very subject. In fact, I'm 2 chapters short of finishing my thesis which is on Faculty Perceptions of Web-Based Education.

I did a survey of a large public university's faculty on the topic. Asking questions about the perceived impact on pedagogy, students, etc.

My personal opinion is that it is a fad. The reality is, however, that higher education as morphing into being run more and more like a for-profit business. I had to take a few online courses as part of my masters program and they were very poor in quality and value compared to the traditional classroom setting.

To add insult to injury some institutions charge more for the online courses for the "convenience".
Old 06-15-07, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

At a previous institution they were used in my department main for the intro courses which were gen eds. In fact, the professors who created the program won the education in the discipline award for it from the American Political Science Assoc. back in 05.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.