Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Grocery Store Ettiquette: Why the dirty looks at the register when...

Other Talk "Otterville"

Grocery Store Ettiquette: Why the dirty looks at the register when...

Old 06-02-07, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 101 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
Annoying customer (like one that doesn't take stuff out of their basket): they're going to be sitting there for the next 5-10 minutes while I call back the department and check if the item is really supposed to be $1.50 instead of $2.09.
Ask me to take the stuff out of the basket next time, and I will.

I don't mind waiting while you dick around getting the price.
Old 07-04-07, 02:50 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bumping because this guy has some issues.
Old 07-05-07, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went to Target last night and I was the only one at the register and I put my basket on the belt and I started to take my stuff out. The cashier said something but I didn't catch it entirely. I continued to take my stuff out and she said again that I didn't have to do that...she had told me she could get it...but then added that she REALLY appreciated it and said I'd be surprised how many people don't do that (well, I guess not, lady, if you're standing there telling people you can get it!)

She then said it's no different than if people pull up a cart and I said that I thought the same way, that I wouldn't expect her to take my items out of a cart if I had it.

And, of course, the transaction went really well and she was quite nice to me.

I thought of this thread, of course.
Old 07-05-07, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i also thought of this thread when i put my basket on the belt the other day at the grocery store. i forgot to take stuff out (i know, my fault) until he started taking stuff out. i embarassingly stopped him and started doing it myself because of what i remember in this thread. he looked at me kind of funny but i finished taking everything out.
Old 07-05-07, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 727 Likes on 461 Posts
I missed this thread the first time around, but I've never thought to make the drones unload my basket for me.

That's the true height of laziness.
Old 07-06-07, 04:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by calhoun07
I went to Target last night and I was the only one at the register and I put my basket on the belt and I started to take my stuff out. The cashier said something but I didn't catch it entirely. I continued to take my stuff out and she said again that I didn't have to do that...she had told me she could get it...but then added that she REALLY appreciated it and said I'd be surprised how many people don't do that (well, I guess not, lady, if you're standing there telling people you can get it!)

She then said it's no different than if people pull up a cart and I said that I thought the same way, that I wouldn't expect her to take my items out of a cart if I had it.

And, of course, the transaction went really well and she was quite nice to me.

I thought of this thread, of course.
Oh oh oh... There's gonna be sex! You did get her number right...?
Old 07-06-07, 04:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Draven
I missed this thread the first time around, but I've never thought to make the drones unload my basket for me.

That's the true height of laziness.
You're refering to cashiers as 'drones'? In this thread?

You are entering a world of pain.... A world of pain!
Old 07-06-07, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness
You're refering to cashiers as 'drones'? In this thread?

You are entering a world of pain.... A world of pain!
Hey, I've been on that side of the counter. It's the most non-engaging job I could possible imagine.
Old 07-06-07, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

the NYC Whole Foods they are only too happy to take your stuff out of your basket since there are no belts at the registers. they also do nice things like put tape on your eggs so the carton doesn't fall apart and tape up the container with the fresh peanut butter so it doesn't fall apart either. and they are the fastest cashiers i've ever seen.
Old 07-06-07, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 286 Likes on 200 Posts
Hey, I've been on that side of the counter. It's the most non-engaging job I could possible imagine.
I spent a year or two there in my youth and I had pleasant conversations with many customers, and quite a few regulars that would choose my lane even if it had a longer line. Perhaps you didn't wear enough flair?
Old 07-06-07, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 259 Likes on 147 Posts
In the UK, you have to bag your own groceries after the cashier rings them up. The first time I went to a grocery store there, I had a perplexed look on my face after the cashier rung up my groceries and took my money. Instead of bagging my stuff, she started ringing up the next customer. It took me a few seconds to realize you had to do it yourself.

Made me appreciate the cashiers here even more.
Old 07-06-07, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by al_bundy
and they are the fastest cashiers i've ever seen.
That's because you never met me in my prime
Old 07-06-07, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jaymole
In the UK, you have to bag your own groceries after the cashier rings them up. The first time I went to a grocery store there, I had a perplexed look on my face after the cashier rung up my groceries and took my money. Instead of bagging my stuff, she started ringing up the next customer. It took me a few seconds to realize you had to do it yourself.

Made me appreciate the cashiers here even more.
I grew up in Iowa, and the big grocery stores (Hy-Vee, Dahl's) they always bagged your groceries. Here in Minnesota, the comparable Cub Foods and Rainbow do NOT bag your groceries. You have to go to a spendier place to get that kind of service.

I try to avoid shopping at the typical grocery stores whenever I can.
Old 07-06-07, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness
Oh oh oh... There's gonna be sex! You did get her number right...?
Dude, she was like old enough to be my mom, and certainly NOT a MILF!

I guess Target can only get old people to work until close on a holiday night like the 4th.
Old 07-06-07, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've been on that side of the counter as well. You get out of any job what you put into it.
Old 07-06-07, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

the NYC Whole Foods they are only too happy to take your stuff out of your basket since there are no belts at the registers. they also do nice things like put tape on your eggs so the carton doesn't fall apart and tape up the container with the fresh peanut butter so it doesn't fall apart either. and they are the fastest cashiers i've ever seen.
ummm, they have to do that because there is only room at the close-packed registers to put your basket down or push your "short bus" cart against the register. I don't think it's a question of being happy to do it. It's SOP.
Old 07-06-07, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by calhoun07
I've been on that side of the counter as well. You get out of any job what you put into it.
Eh, nice sentiment but I don't think it's always true. I was a good employee, helpful to customers and worked hard at my job. I still hated every minute of it.

The most mindless, pointless and boring job I've ever had. But that wasn't the customer's fault and it didn't mean I couldn't offer good service.
Old 07-06-07, 10:25 PM
Banned

i only shop at grocery stores with self checkout now.
it saves the awkward phase.
Old 07-06-07, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I grew up in Iowa, and the big grocery stores (Hy-Vee, Dahl's) they always bagged your groceries. Here in Minnesota, the comparable Cub Foods and Rainbow do NOT bag your groceries. You have to go to a spendier place to get that kind of service.
You and I have taken opposite paths. I grew up in Minnesota, and now I live in Iowa. While Hy-Vee is definitely a great place to shop (and their bagging service is top-notch), other places that bag my groceries here seem to do everything possible to make sure that the plastic bag bursts in the parking lot.

Don't Target Superstores in Minnesota bag groceries for you?
Old 07-07-07, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I never knew there was an unwritten rule either. The baskets are small. What's the difference? Thought the cashier was being a jerk when she asked me to take contents out.
Old 07-07-07, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by big whoppa
I never knew there was an unwritten rule either. The baskets are small. What's the difference? Thought the cashier was being a jerk when she asked me to take contents out.

I don't get it either.
Old 07-07-07, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think you're paying for the service there since the markup at WF has to be incredible for grocery store.
Old 07-07-07, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Last weekend when my gf and I went to the grocery store, the cashier didn't know any of the produce codes. I started rattling them off when she grabbed the item. I guess I was being too nice!
Old 07-07-07, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by lordwow
Last weekend when my gf and I went to the grocery store, the cashier didn't know any of the produce codes. I started rattling them off when she grabbed the item. I guess I was being too nice!
The fact that you remembered the codes concerns me
Old 07-07-07, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Canadian Bacon
The fact that you remembered the codes concerns me
They probably worked as a cashier before, I am guessing. They are three digit codes and it's amazing how much useless information the brain can store. And if you are a cashier there are common ones you ring up several times a day...you learn from repetition so it's not crazy somebody would remember them.

After 10 years or so since I last worked in a grocery store the only one I can recall is 411...the code for bananas. I am surprised I don't remember more.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.