DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Other Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk-9/)
-   -   lawnmower advice should I buy a new one (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/501034-lawnmower-advice-should-i-buy-new-one.html)

kiddk1 05-19-07 07:52 AM

lawnmower advice should I buy a new one

I have a 6hp yardman that is 11yrs old, about 1 1/2 yrs ago it began sputtering and shutting off, I changed the plug, took apart and cleaned the throttle body, changed the muffler, and air filter, sharpened and balanced the blade and still it does the same thing, my question is this lawnmower worth fixing professionally or should I just get a new one. thanks

Bronkster 05-19-07 10:58 AM

Are you using "fresh" gas? I've found that old gas makes my mower harder to start and keep running. Beyond that, I'd check with a local repair place to see what they'd charge. I've had mine repaired/tuned up a few times over the years and it's a lot cheaper than buying a new mower.

DVD Josh 05-19-07 03:23 PM

You'd be amazed at how cheap lawnmovers are today. You can always get a decent deal on a Craftsman at Sears. I just got a good deal on a Bolens push mower with mulcher and bag at Lowes for around $150. It's a Troy-Built mower with a Briggs and Stratton engine, so it's a decent piece of machinery. I actually prefer non-self-propelled mowers because it's a good exercise to do it yourself, plus I feel like I can control it better.

With parts and labor, getting a mower fixed can be pricey, sometimes it's just as better to buy a new one.

kiddk1 05-19-07 08:53 PM

yeah the gas was fresh, I think I will go ahead and get a new one as DVD Josh stated they really are cheap(but I am lazy I want a self propelled), I figure to fix it will proably cost close to 100 bucks not to mention if it goes again in a year. I was at HD today they had 2 a toro and cub cadet, any advice on which is better, the toro was a 6.5 HP 21in at 279.00 the cub cadet was a 6.5 hp 19in at 259.00 both self propelled. thanks

mndtrp 05-19-07 09:10 PM

Sell it on craigslist for $20. Someone will buy it.

kiddk1 05-20-07 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by mndtrp
Sell it on craigslist for $20. Someone will buy it.

better yet its going in my yearly garage sale, I just picked up this Troy Bilt for 299.00 plus I used a lowes 10% from here to save even more, thanks to all you.

Sdallnct 05-20-07 02:01 PM

Yea, I bought about a $225 lawn mower 3 years ago. Gave me trouble this year, but I figured only 3 years old I'd get it fixed. Well they kept it nearly 5 weeks, I had to rent a mower twice at $30 ea to do my yard and then it was right at a $100 to fix my mower.

After nearly $160, probably would have been smarter to just start all over....

Brian Shannon 05-21-07 09:17 AM

A Toro I bought a few years ago began falling apart after the second year. The drive broke, the cables stretched badly etc.

mather 05-21-07 11:08 AM

Both our Toro snowblower and self propelled lawn mower are fine, both about 3-5 years. Maintain them per manuals after each season. I find them to be like cars, some drive them to the ground and don't care about maintenance, some go by the manual and keep everything maintained. Either way, some equipment may last despite abuse while others may not no matter how well cared for they have been. Generally, though, maintain your equipment and they "should" last long enough to make most people happy. Good job on that 11yr old mower, some may already be on their 3 car by that period. I also say go with a new mower, time to lay that Yardman to rest.

DVD Josh 05-21-07 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by kiddk1
better yet its going in my yearly garage sale, I just picked up this Troy Bilt for 299.00 plus I used a lowes 10% from here to save even more, thanks to all you.

Apparently, the Bolens house brand that Lowe's sells is a Troy Built. That's why I bought that one and saved $100.