DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Other Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk-9/)
-   -   Judge sues cleaner for $65M over pants (update: Judge loses job) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/499602-judge-sues-cleaner-%2465m-over-pants-update-judge-loses-job.html)

The Infidel 01-07-09 03:04 PM

Re: Judge sues cleaner for $65M over pants (update: Judge loses job)

I think ol' Roy needs to be handed over to a psychiatrist. He obviously has some serious issues that need to be dealt with.

Giles 03-05-09 10:24 AM

and the saga continues:

$54 Million Pants Lawsuit Denied Second Appeal posted 03/03/09 7:45 am News Channel 8

Washington - The District's Court of Appeals has denied a request for a second appeals hearing for a former U.S. judge who sued a dry cleaner for $54 million over a lost pair of pants.

Roy Pearson Jr.'s request for a second hearing before the entire nine-judge panel was rejected Monday.

In December, three judges on the court unanimously rejected Pearson's initial appeal, saying he failed to show the store's promise of "satisfaction guaranteed" amounted to fraud.

None of the remaining six judges objected to the previous ruling, in effect rejecting Pearson's request. Pearson's final option is to request a hearing before the U.S. Supreme Court.

---

Information from: The Washington Post.

Bandoman 03-05-09 01:19 PM

I hope the Supreme Court hears the case!

Supermallet 03-05-09 02:34 PM

So do I, if only to have this guy humiliated in front of the highest court in the land.

Mole177 03-05-09 03:11 PM

this guy is not going to rest...

Brian Shannon 03-06-09 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Bandoman (Post 9307932)
I hope the Supreme Court hears the case!

I agree, he can't quit now.

big whoppa 03-06-09 05:31 PM

Somebody please find this guy a hooker. He really needs to get laid badly!

Nick Danger 03-06-09 07:55 PM

I doubt he would be interested in a hooker. Who would want to stop for sex when there is so much work yet to be done in the cause of justice?

aintnosin 03-07-09 07:36 PM

The last thing I want to hear about is this guy suing some poor hooker for $100 million because she laughed as his little willy.

The Infidel 03-08-09 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by aintnosin (Post 9312333)
The last thing I want to hear about is this guy suing some poor hooker for $100 million because she laughed as his little willy.

...or because he wouldn't classify his ending as particularly "happy".

Giles 03-09-09 10:07 AM

^ -rotfl-

CPA-ESQ. 03-09-09 10:40 AM

Waiting for the post with the headline "$54 Million Pants Lawsuit Appeals to Supreme Court"

GatorDeb 11-26-11 09:53 AM

From Wikipedia:

On August 2, 2007, it was revealed that a panel recommended Pearson not be given a ten-year term as an Administrative Law Judge, after his initial two-year term expired mid-2007, in part because his suit against Mr Chung demonstrated a lack of "judicial temperament." Pearson was appointed in 2005 and will lose his $100,512 salary if a hearing upholds that decision.[17] On October 22, a D.C. commission voted against reappointing Pearson, a graduate of the Northwestern University School of Law, to the bench of the Office of Administrative Hearings.[18] On November 14, it was confirmed that Pearson had lost his job by not being affirmed for an extension.[19]
On September 10, 2008, an appellate court agreed to hear Pearson's appeal in P. v. Chung, scheduled for October 22, 2008. Manning represented the Chungs on the appeal pro bono. On December 18, 2008, the three-judge D.C. Court of Appeals panel that heard Pearson's appeal announced that they were rejecting it. According to the Washington Post, "Pearson has two remaining avenues of appeal left: He could ask the entire nine-judge appellate court to review the case, or ask the U.S. Supreme Court to weigh in."[20] On January 6, 2009, Roy Pearson filed a petition with the D.C. Court of Appeals, requesting the case be reheard this time by a nine-judge panel.[21] On March 2, 2009, the appeals court rejected his request to have the case reheard by the full panel. Pearson's final option was to ask the U.S. Supreme Court to hear the case.[22] The 90-day deadline for seeking Supreme Court review elapsed without Pearson filing a petition for certiorari. Pearson's appeal options thus exhausted, the long-running dispute finally came to an end.
On May 2, 2008, Roy Pearson filed suit against Washington DC, claiming that he had been wrongfully dismissed for exposing corruption within the Office of Administrative Hearings. Pearson sought $1 million in compensation for lost wages and punitive damages as well as his job back.[23] On July 23, 2009, federal district judge Ellen Segal Huvelle dismissed Pearson's May 2008 lawsuit claiming that the District of Columbia had not broken the law by not reappointing him as an administrative law judge. Pearson had maintained in the suit that the failure to reappoint him to the ten-year term was in part intended as retaliation for his suit against the dry cleaners.[24] Pearson lost his appeal when the D.C. Circuit ruled against him on May 27, 2010.[25]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearson_v._Chung

mario_c 11-27-11 03:08 PM

Well done, panel. One less greedy doorknob on the federal dole.

(Did they mean November 14 this year or 2007? Well, whatever...)

Nick Danger 11-27-11 07:09 PM

I'm glad that someone represented Chung family pro bono. Even so, they had to close one of their two shops.

Giles 12-02-11 02:04 PM

wait?... there's more to this story??

foxdvd 12-03-11 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by Giles (Post 11027801)
wait?... there's more to this story??

http://media.salon.com/2001/09/paul_harvey.jpg

Spottedfeather 12-04-11 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by foxdvd (Post 11028465)

Don't get it.

The Cow 12-04-11 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather (Post 11030179)
Don't get it.

Good day!

Abelkems 12-04-11 06:32 PM

Don't get it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Harvey

Barth 12-06-11 09:06 PM

Don't get it.

I think I just aged reading this thread. Another person of my youth that no one knows in this generation. Guess I might as well buy a caddy for my next car with an am radio only and listen to the classics. :(