Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Cooking 101?

Old 06-10-08, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I would reccomend not spending so little on cookware. I would say that instead of getting a set, buy 1 piece at a time if you can't afford a more expensive set. One of the best out there is All Clad... but it is incredibly expensive. What few people know however is that Emeril's line of cookware is a decent price, and it is made by All Clad! It won't be as nice as the regular All Clad, but it is still really good. My boss bought a $300 set I think and he loves it. I have 1 Emeril piece (a 1qt saucier) and it is great. The rest of my cookware is All Clad (thanks to my wedding guests), except for 1 T-Fal skillet and 1 Calphalon skillet. For a bit more investment you can have cookware that will work better and last a great deal longer than any of the cheap stuff. I also reccomend the Calphalon. They are decent quality and fairly priced as well... a bit more than the Emeril stuff I think.

Last edited by C-Mart; 06-10-08 at 02:53 PM.
Old 06-10-08, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by starman9000
Anybody have advice? (besides spend a ton and get something better)
Oops. I didn't see that part... my advice still stands. I would pony up for at least a bit better than the 2 choices you are considering.

http://www.amazon.com/Emerilware-Stainless-10-Piece-Cookware-Set/dp/B0000696JB/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen&qid=1213127999&sr=1-15 Emerilware 10 piece stainless steel set for $199. I know it's like 4-5 times what you wanted to spend... but I guarantee that it will be worth it.
Old 06-11-08, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How do you guys cook on stainless steel sets? Everything I put in there sticks and I don't want to drench everything on oil before frying. I had to return a good set of Stainless Steel pans (thankfully I tried using a different 1-piece first) and went back to a non-stick.
Old 06-12-08, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sinned
How do you guys cook on stainless steel sets? Everything I put in there sticks and I don't want to drench everything on oil before frying. I had to return a good set of Stainless Steel pans (thankfully I tried using a different 1-piece first) and went back to a non-stick.
Lower heat, usually more stirring.
Old 06-13-08, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by sinned
How do you guys cook on stainless steel sets? Everything I put in there sticks and I don't want to drench everything on oil before frying.
Those little burnt bits in the pan from the food sticking is the basis of all great pan sauces. If you don't plan on making a sauce a non-stick pan would be a better choice. Also, like mndtrp said, lower heat, more stirring.
Old 06-13-08, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Originally Posted by Pistol Pete
Run out and buy the Joy of Cooking cookbook. IMO, this is the best all-around cookbook for basic and intermediate cooking. It is my primary reference in the kitchen.

And, as mentioned above, watch Good Eats. Alton Brown does a good job explaining the how and why of cooking...
QFT. In fact, whenever a friend mentions they can't cook but would like to learn how, I plop down $30 bucks and buy them a copy.

I also dig Alton's show, so much that my wife calls him my boyfriend.