Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

30+ dead at Virginia Tech

Old 04-16-07, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

30+ dead at Virginia Tech

Breaking.

(CNN) -- The Virginia Tech Police Chief said at least 20 people were killed in twin shootings on the Blacksburg campus Monday morning.

"Some victims were shot in a classroom," Chief Wendell Flinchum said, adding that the gunman was dead.

President Charles Steger called the shootings "a tragedy of monumental proportions."

A hospital spokeswoman told The Associated Press that 17 Virginia Tech students were being treated for gunshot wounds and other injuries. Sharon Honaker at the Carilion New River Valley Medical Center told CNN that four patients had been transported there, one in critical condition.

One person was killed and others were wounded at multiple locations inside a dormitory about 7:15 a.m., Flinchum said. Two hours later, another shooting at Norris Hall, an engineering building, resulted in multiple casualties, the university reported. (Watch police, ambulances hustle to the scene )

The first reported shooting occurred at West Ambler Johnston Hall, a co-ed dormitory that houses 895 students. The dormitory, one of the largest residence halls on the 2,600-acre campus, is located near the drill field and stadium.

Amie Steele, editor-in-chief of the campus newspaper, said one of her reporters at the dormitory reported "mass chaos."

The reporter said there were "lots of students running around, going crazy, and the police officers were trying to settle everyone down and keep everything under control," according to Steele.

Kristyn Heiser said she was in class about 9:30 a.m. when she and her classmates saw about six gun-wielding police officers run by a window.

"We were like, 'What's going on?' Because this definitely is a quaint town where stuff doesn't really happen. It's pretty boring here," said Heiser during a phone interview as she sat on her classroom floor.

Student Matt Waldron said he did not hear the gunshots because he was listening to music, but he heard police sirens and saw officers hiding behind trees with their guns drawn.

"They told us to get out of there so we ran across the drill field as quick as we could," he said.

Waldron described the scene on campus as "mayhem." (Watch a student's recording of police responding to loud bangs )

"It was kind of scary," he said. "These two kids I guess had panicked and jumped out of the top story window and the one kid broke his ankle and the other girl was not in good shape just lying on the ground."

Madison Van Duyne said she and her classmates in a media writing class were on "lockdown" in their classrooms. They were huddled in the middle of the classroom, writing stories about the shootings and posting them online.

The university is updating its 26,000 students through e-mails, and an Internet webcam is broadcasting live pictures of the campus.

The shootings came three days after a bomb threat Friday forced the cancellation of classes in three buildings, WDBJ in Roanoke reported. Also, the 100,000-square-foot Torgersen Hall was evacuated April 2 after police received a written bomb threat, The Roanoke Times reported.

After the Monday shootings, students were instructed to stay indoors and away from windows, police at the university said.

"A gunman is loose on campus. Stay in buildings until further notice. Stay away from all windows," read a warning from the university.

"Virginia Tech has canceled all classes. Those on campus are asked to remain where they are, lock their doors and stay away from windows. Persons off campus are asked not to come to campus," a statement on the university Web site said.
Old 04-16-07, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just beat my thread by seconds
Old 04-16-07, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm sure more details will be coming this afternoon, but my thoughts and prayers are w/ the students and their families.
Old 04-16-07, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Fuck, that's just horrible.
Old 04-16-07, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is terrible. Wish the gunman wasn't killed. I'd rather we feed him to a meat grinder.
Old 04-16-07, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow. So sad.
Old 04-16-07, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just heard about this on the radio. What a tragic story! I'll be glued to the TV to see why this happened.

Is this part of a free society? Is this partly due to the fact that we have poor gun control? It's easier to get a gun than it is to get prescription drugs in most places.

How does someone go to the dorms and shoot people, causing mass hysteria, and then freely go to the classrooms and do it all over again, without being seen or caught by SOMEBODY, anybody. I mean, I realize this was just in a matter of minutes but the campus is pretty large. He/she had to have had some time in between the dorms and the classrooms - to walk there. Why didn't the first shooting in the dorms set off some alarms to the entire campus to go on lock-down immediately?
Old 04-16-07, 12:46 PM

Not much I can post about this, not sure what to say. It's hard to get desensitized to this sort of thing, even when it seems like we read about a mass slaying on a semi-regular basis.
Old 04-16-07, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

so sad
Old 04-16-07, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My boss took off at 10:30 today. Which isn't unusual. But when I heard about the shooting and his daughter goes to VT my heart sank.

I hope for the best for everyone in this. Being local it kind of hits home.
Old 04-16-07, 12:48 PM
Admin-MemeCat

Just horrible.
Old 04-16-07, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by melbatoast
Is this part of a free society? Is this partly due to the fact that we have poor gun control? It's easier to get a gun than it is to get prescription drugs in most places.
Rather than take this thread down the usual road that we go down every time there's a shooting, let me sum up the arguments:

Side A: This shooting was caused because we don't have enough gun control!

Side B: This shooting could have been prevented...if only there wasn't so much gun control!

There, both sides have had their say. Let's move on.
Old 04-16-07, 12:49 PM

this is so crazy..my brother lives in the building next to where the first shooting occured. my mom is freaking out right now. we were finally able to get in touch with him so he's ok thank god.
Old 04-16-07, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk God

I apologize, but my second thought was, "Hopefully this will finally get Imus and Anna Nicole Smith out of the news."

Hard to believe and very sad.
Old 04-16-07, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I work at a college, so this story just made the rounds. Jesus. Dont even know what to say.

2 hour period though, and at least 40+ shots fired? Nice quick response.
Old 04-16-07, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What is wrong with people?!

This really is horrific.
Old 04-16-07, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow, just wow.
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by _tony_
this is so crazy..my brother lives in the building next to where the first shooting occured. my mom is freaking out right now. we were finally able to get in touch with him so he's ok thank god.
Good to hear...I can only imagine how worried you both were.

This is just another unfortunate event to help remind us how fucked up some people can be. They just mentioned on the news that the shooter was looking for his girlfriend prior to shooting people execution style.
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

they say an asian man is responsible for this.
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Terrible. How long before this guy's video gaming habits are scrutinized?
Old 04-16-07, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

When I was on CNN earlier this morning it said 1 dead and I thought it was similar to the shooting here at the University of Washington not long ago. I guess the story was only developing then.
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheMadMonk
Terrible. How long before this guy's video gaming habits are scrutinized?
Exactly, this is what I hate about these situations, other than the loss of life. What is going to be blamed for the behavior, rather than just saying he/she is a crazy fuck
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Mole177
they say an asian man is responsible for this.
Believe nothing this early on. My bet is that Richard Jewel was responsible.
Old 04-16-07, 12:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by melbatoast
It's probably due to the fact that 1) 18 to 24 year olds have the highest incidence of psychotic episodes in our society, 2) that engineering in difficult and can be extremely frustrating, 3) when 25,000 people live in a small area together (with a turn over of 95+% every 4 years), there's a good probability that once ever 10 years you'll have someone snap.

It sounds like someone had been calling in bomb threats over the past week. My bet is that it was the shooter. He just snapped and was crying out for help. When that didn't happen, he just lost it.
Old 04-16-07, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Groucho
Rather than take this thread down the usual road that we go down every time there's a shooting, let me sum up the arguments:

Side A: This shooting was caused because we don't have enough gun control!

Side B: This shooting could have been prevented...if only there wasn't so much gun control!

There, both sides have had their say. Let's move on.
Groucho's right. Let's just have everyone post "That's horrible" and keep it at that. What's the point in discussing cause and effect in situations like this? Society never gains anything by analyzing a problem, debating it, and perhaps doing something to correct it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.