Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

I think I screwed myself out of a raise...now I hate myself.

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 04-15-07, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, last Tuesday I turned in my notice for job A. Job B pays about $7k a year more. On Wednesday the CEO at A begs me to stay and offers a $9k a year raise (or 2k more than B). I don't hate A, but I'm not thrilled with being there, "It's a job". I tell A I'm still going to B, but I would consider staying at A if they give me a couple of days to think about it. A then offers me some more money.

Fast Forward to Friday I tell A that I would stay if B would let me work part time in the evenings & weekends. B agrees to it so I go back to A.

Today A tells me that I'll get a $1.35 hr raise...nowhere near the $5.00 raise I was told earlier in the week. The reason: "You'll be making more money since you have a second job, and we don't need to pay you as much". The other reason: "I don't want to make the people who've been here longer than you upset".

On one hand....I'm an idiot...I should have never mentioned that I was going to work the second job. I was trying to be honest and it bit me in the ass.

On the other...Job A should have honored their word. I should be paid for what I do there and it shouldn't matter what I do outside of their company.

Job B is with someone I know, so I think if it ever came down to it I could get a full time job with him.

But, as it is working with A & B will still pay me more than I've ever made in my life, and B lets me work for home and on my time. And it's not really that many hours during the week.
Old 04-15-07, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You should have told them to shove it.

-p
Old 04-15-07, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

While you shouldn't have told A that you'd be working for B part time, it's irrelevant. A went back on their word. You should be telling them that if you don't get the raise promised, that you'll leave. If they offered it in the first place, it's probably still there...
Old 04-15-07, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by solipsta
While you shouldn't have told A that you'd be working for B part time, it's irrelevant. A went back on their word. You should be telling them that if you don't get the raise promised, that you'll leave. If they offered it in the first place, it's probably still there...
exactly
Old 04-15-07, 09:24 PM

^I did bring that up, but they didn't care. I talked to her for about 2 hours today.

Oh, I forgot to mention A did give me a 3k bonus to stay. Even with the 3k I still won't make as much for the year if I had the $5 hr raise. The bonus was "no strings attached"

Job A offers really good experience, so that's why I'm still there. And like I said, even after getting screwed out of the raise I'm still making more than I ever have.
Old 04-15-07, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Was the raise offered verbally or written? Probably verbally, so it would be difficult for you to prove that they actually did.

If the bonus doesn't have stipulations for you to stay a certain period of time, take it, quit job A and go work full time for B. Then tell them that's what they get for screwing you and going back on their word.
Old 04-15-07, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Well, the 3k helps the sting a bit, I guess. It might be good experience, but you stated above you're not thrilled with being there... You should be throwing the possibility that you could still leave out there....they went back on their word and is that the kind of place you wanna be?

Yeah, you're making more than you ever have, but you're also working more, are you not?
Old 04-15-07, 09:36 PM
Premium Member

Remember the bonus is a one time thing, which usually benefits the company.

Salary increase is something that sticks with you and builds. If you were already planning on leaving "A" in the first place, why not try a bluff?
Old 04-15-07, 09:38 PM

The raise was verbal.

The CEO at Job A is an undetermined age...we estimate her to be at least in the high 80's. So, she's not going to be around much longer. The owner's sons are supposed to take over and I like them. So, once the old bag is out of there I think I'd like it more.

Plus, I've only been there 3 months and I have been doing entry level stuff until I learned what's going on. The type of work I'm doing will be different in the near future, so I may end up liking it. But no, I don't want to work for someone who goes back on her word, but she's on her way out.

Yes I work more, but the second job I can do most of at home so I don't mind. I can do the work while watching tv or whatever. And at this point in my life, I put more of necessity on money than extra free time.
Old 04-15-07, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by The Cow
Salary increase is something that sticks with you and builds. If you were already planning on leaving "A" in the first place, why not try a bluff?
You got to know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em. I don't want to try a bluff and f' it up more. And be out of job A and then have to ask B for a full time job again. Like I said, working both jobs is the best scenario for me financially. I'm just pissed that A went back on their word. If I never mentioned working part time for B I'd have a raise.

I should have told A when they first offered the raise I'd take it and stay and then asked B if I could work part time. But I was trying to be honest. I thought B would go with the part time thing, but I wasn't positive. Honesty doesn't always pay I guess.

I know the salary increase builds over time.

I guess my plan now is to:

Work at A, keep the bonus, and look for another full time job or part time job to compliment B (I'm pretty confident B would be willing to let me go full time whenever I want to).

I'm trying to buy my first house, so money is a big deal to me right now. And, at least for the first year or so, I feel I need two jobs.

Last edited by Lee Harvey Oswald; 04-15-07 at 09:54 PM.
Old 04-15-07, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I also assume the 3k bonus will be taxed like a bonus so it will work out to be even less.

I would definitely consider walking. Otherwise you are already showing them they can break their word and pay less than promised without any response from you. I also wouldn't be surprised if you didn't come up for another raise for several years if at all. I would also ask if you end up leaving job B are they going to give the raise as originally promised since their excuse is no longer valid?
Old 04-15-07, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by innocentfreak
I also assume the 3k bonus will be taxed like a bonus so it will work out to be even less.

I would definitely consider walking. Otherwise you are already showing them they can break their word and pay less than promised without any response from you. I also wouldn't be surprised if you didn't come up for another raise for several years if at all. I would also ask if you end up leaving job B are they going to give the raise as originally promised since their excuse is no longer valid?
No, the bonus is "a gift".

They got a response from me. I didn't just sit there and say, "Ok, fuck me over. I don't mind." I talked her for about two hours. It was brought up several times. She would change the subject to "I don't want to upset the others" and go into her "I'm an old senile lady routine" when she doesn't want to hear what someone is telling her.
Old 04-15-07, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Lee Harvey Oswald

They got a response from me. I didn't just sit there and say, "Ok, fuck me over. I don't mind." I talked her for about two hours. It was brought up several times. She would change the subject to "I don't want to upset the others" and go into her "I'm an old senile lady routine" when she doesn't want to hear what someone is telling her.
Ok cool, at least they aren't screwing you that way.

I didn't mean to imply you did. I just have been in situations where I took a deal that wasn't as good as the one that was originally offered and they ended up trying to walk all over me as a result. My response to her not wanting to upset the others would have been why are you telling them what I am making? I know for the company I work for they have fired people in the past for discussing what they are making and most companies have rules about this. Like I said though I would be curious if the original deal would be available if you left job B.
Old 04-15-07, 10:06 PM
Premium Member

You got to know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em. I don't want to try a bluff and f' it up more. And be out of job A and then have to ask B for a full time job again. Like I said, working both jobs is the best scenario for me financially. I'm just pissed that A went back on their word. If I never mentioned working part time for B I'd have a raise.

I should have told A when they first offered the raise I'd take it and stay and then asked B if I could work part time. But I was trying to be honest. I thought B would go with the part time thing, but I wasn't positive. Honesty doesn't always pay I guess.

I know the salary increase builds over time.

I guess my plan now is to:

Work at A, keep the bonus, and look for another full time job or part time job to compliment B (I'm pretty confident B would be willing to let me go full time whenever I want to).

I'm trying to buy my first house, so money is a big deal to me right now. And, at least for the first year or so, I feel I need two jobs.
That's cool if you feel the need for 2 jobs.

I just thought based on your initial post that you were ready to leave "A" already and be happy with "B" full-time, which sounds like is still an option.
Old 04-15-07, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by The Cow
I just thought based on your initial post that you were ready to leave "A" already and be happy with "B" full-time, which sounds like is still an option.
I didn't consider "B" as a part time option right away. But when "A" started offering more money I thought maybe "B" would go for it.

My response to her not wanting to upset the others would have been why are you telling them what I am making?.
I think she was referring to the payroll person and the office manager who, I assume, sees the payroll figures.

The payroll lady is getting ready to retire too, than I'm supposed to take over payroll.
Old 04-15-07, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just a friendly FYI, the IRS doesn't care what the company calls it. The taxes are the same.
Old 04-15-07, 10:58 PM

An employer offered you a $9,000 a year raise - or more - and you said you were going to be working part-time for someone else???? And as a result, you LOST it???????

Yeah, dumb.

And about the "bonus," your employer really should be taking taxes out of it. No money from an employer to an employee would ever be considered a "gift."
Old 04-15-07, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Altimus Prime
An employer offered you a $9,000 a year raise - or more - and you said you were going to be working part-time for someone else???? And as a result, you LOST it???????

Yeah, dumb.

And about the "bonus," your employer really should be taking taxes out of it. No money from an employer to an employee would ever be considered a "gift."
Well originally, I wasn't going to consider staying at that job until they offered me the 9k raise. But again, they went back on their word. They told me they would pay that if I stayed and they said that I could have a couple of days to think about it. It shouldn't matter what I do outside of their hours. I know I stuck my foot in my mouth by mentioning the other part time job, but I was trying to be honest with them and help them out. I would have been quitting at a bad time for them and I offered to stay b/c they offered me so much more.

And there's quotes around the word gift for a reason.
Old 04-15-07, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Kind of sounds like this church daycare where my wife used to work. The employees were being paid minimum wage and wanted a raise - the director told them that they needed to pray for a raise. When the raise never came, they were told that they hadn't prayed hard enough. Eventually they got a 5 cent raise. My wife left shortly after that. There are other stories like the hat passed around during the Christmas play for donations for the teachers - of which a small percentage actually goes to the teachers (and is taxed) - let me just say that religion is a great business to be in, if you are the top of the church.

Anyway, back to your situation, pray for the $7,000 increase.

Last edited by Heat; 04-15-07 at 11:47 PM.
Old 04-16-07, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The part where you say you would stay if your new job lets you work part time automatically ends the negotiations with your old job. At least that's how it sounds.
Old 04-16-07, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quit job A. Simple as that.
Old 04-16-07, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quit job a. They trear you like carp. Swim up their ass.
Old 04-16-07, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

What does this mean? Are you under the mis-impression that there is a special bonus tax rate? Compensation is compensation.

Witholding rate is a completely different (and irrelevant to your claim) point.
Old 04-16-07, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I believe "the gift" was 3k in unmarked bills... as in "I am giving you $3000 as a friend, not an employer, happy birthday!"
Old 04-16-07, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Job "B" is being a phone sex operator, isn't it?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.