Other Talk "Otterville"

Mini Cooper

Old 04-15-07, 05:18 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mini Cooper

Any Mini owners here? I'm just discovering how awesome these cars are, thinking about getting a Mini-S in the next year or so. I'm curious how any recent owners like their cars and if they can offer any advice or suggestions. How was the dealership experience? I seem to be reading alot that haggling on these cars can be more difficult than with other makes.

I'm also having a hard time choosing a color, I'm leaning towards the dark silver, but I keep changing my mind. I also can't believe the amount of cool options that are available.

Anyone?
Old 04-15-07, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Neat little car. If a small car was all I needed, I'd consider one. But, I'd hate to be in an accident in one.
Old 04-15-07, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I dig it. I love it in blue.

-p
Old 04-15-07, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by pedagogue
I dig it. I love it in blue.

-p
there's a professor at my school who's dark blue mini with silvery stripes I pass every day. I just drool.

I'm also in the market for a new car in the next year or two. I suppose it's better to start looking before I need one.

The mini is on my list. I hope they make them in automatics, because I haven't seen one yet.

And yeah, crashing in one looks to be a disaster.
Old 04-15-07, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Brent_MN
The mini is on my list. I hope they make them in automatics, because I haven't seen one yet.
Yes, they do. Even better is that the automatic is one of those clutchless "manu-matics" where you use the paddles to shift. Sweet!

Here is a link to a thread with some really nice pics:
http://www.northamericanmotoring.com...ad.php?t=93550
Old 04-15-07, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm all over one of these when I need a new car. I loved the old ones and the new ones are even better.
Old 04-15-07, 07:03 PM
Stealth Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by SubZeri
Yes, they do. Even better is that the automatic is one of those clutchless "manu-matics" where you use the paddles to shift. Sweet!
And even better is the manual transmission. If you don't know how to drive stick, then this is a prime opportunity to learn.

Couple years ago, we had two Minis in our household. Both were 2005 Mini Cooper S, one with manual transmission and one with auto trans with steptronic (and paddle shifters). The manual drove so much better than the steptronic. The paddle shifters were kinda fun, but the delay between the toggle and the actual gear shift got annoying.

They handled awesome. So easy to weave in and out of traffic, and super easy to park anywhere. As for the "hate to be in an accident" comments, the Minis are safer than most compact cars.
Old 04-15-07, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by namja
And even better is the manual transmission. If you don't know how to drive stick, then this is a prime opportunity to learn.
I'm too old to learn!! Naw, I think I'd rather learn before it became my only car. I wouldn't be able to drive it off the lot.
Old 04-15-07, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We had one 3 years ago just before we moved to NYC and sold it... The wife and I loved it. Taught my wife how to drive stick in that car (insert joke) and she had it down in only a day. With the very real possibility that we will be moving back to FL at the end of the year, will definitely look at getting another one.
Old 04-15-07, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by namja
And even better is the manual transmission.
Absolutely...the manual is of course better, it's just that I can't drive one. Perhaps I have an excuse to learn now!
Old 04-15-07, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Instead of buying a brand spankin new one, is there a certain year that produced a better car than others? Also, what's the repairs like on this thing, and does it cost more than more common cars?
Old 04-15-07, 08:20 PM

I'm too old to learn!! Naw, I think I'd rather learn before it became my only car. I wouldn't be able to drive it off the lot.
My fiance learned to drive stick in only a couple days. I love manual...so much more control than automatic.
Old 04-15-07, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by solipsta
My fiance learned to drive stick in only a couple days. I love manual...so much more control than automatic.
maybe you are a master teacher? So how do you talk on your cell phone, eat a sangwich, and fiddle with the iPod if you gotta be shifting?
Old 04-15-07, 08:32 PM

maybe you are a master teacher? So how do you talk on your cell phone, eat a sangwich, and fiddle with the iPod if you gotta be shifting?
Ha. I'm a HORRIBLE teacher. I got frustrated and nervous and made her nervous. But she did it.

Oh, and I generally steer with my knee when I'm doing all the other stuff. That opens up at least one hand. And you only have to shift every now and again...
Old 04-15-07, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I bought a 2006 Kia Rio Sport just over a year ago and its my 1st manual car after 20 years of automatic and im glad i did it.First couple months were a bit shaky but im pretty good at it now and for a small car like that(or even better the Mini ) it just adds to the driving experience
Old 04-15-07, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like the Minis but I don't think I could ever buy one. Something about a guy my size getting out of it wouldn't look right.
Old 04-16-07, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by SubZeri
Any Mini owners here? I'm just discovering how awesome these cars are, thinking about getting a Mini-S in the next year or so. I'm curious how any recent owners like their cars and if they can offer any advice or suggestions. How was the dealership experience? I seem to be reading alot that haggling on these cars can be more difficult than with other makes.

I'm also having a hard time choosing a color, I'm leaning towards the dark silver, but I keep changing my mind. I also can't believe the amount of cool options that are available.

Anyone?
We bought a Mini Cooper a few years ago (it was trixie's car). Yellow, white roof, white bonnet stripes, white wheels. It was a fantastic car! Zippy in the city, and cruisin' on the highway. We didn't go with the "S"... after test driving both models we didn't see the need for the added cost of the "S".

Be careful with the options, they really drive the price up. When we configured one online, the price shot up to about $24,000. But after careful consideration, we ended up with only 2 or so options.

We had a great experience with the dealer. No haggling. We paid $18,900 for the Cooper back in 05, traded it in 2 years later (the kids were getting too big) for the same $18,900 (for an 07 Matrix $150 over dealer invoice).

Once the kids grow up and move out, trixie definitely wants another one.
(edit: another Mini Cooper, not another kid. )

Last edited by sracer; 04-16-07 at 08:22 AM.
Old 04-16-07, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I like the cars and almost bought one last year. Awesome interior, great handling and probably my favorite design currently on the road.

The problem is that there's definitely drawbacks. The previous versions apparently had more maintenance issues than average. Also, there are a ton of other cars that offer much more for your money. IMO, the Mini is the sort of car you buy on style (not that there's anything wrong with that). I say that because when you can get something like a loaded Mazdaspeed 3 or GTI for about the same money, the Mini looks a little hard to justify.
Old 04-16-07, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
I like the cars and almost bought one last year. Awesome interior, great handling and probably my favorite design currently on the road.

The problem is that there's definitely drawbacks. The previous versions apparently had more maintenance issues than average. Also, there are a ton of other cars that offer much more for your money. IMO, the Mini is the sort of car you buy on style (not that there's anything wrong with that). I say that because when you can get something like a loaded Mazdaspeed 3 or GTI for about the same money, the Mini looks a little hard to justify.
The new Car & Driver rates the Mazdaspeed 3 and the GTI better than the Mini. (Mazda #1, GTI #2, MiniS #3)

I hated the Mini S Automatic I drove, horrible transmission. I would ONLY buy the manual if I got one. The sales person agreed that the auto was not very good. (And this is from someone who hates manuals)
Old 04-16-07, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
The new Car & Driver rates the Mazdaspeed 3 and the GTI better than the Mini. (Mazda #1, GTI #2, MiniS #3)
I read that waiting to get my haircut at Great Clips! Wohooo! I didn't know when it'd apply in my life, but there was nothing else to read.
Old 04-16-07, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
I almost bought one a few years ago until the dealer totally screwed me on the trade-in value of my car ($5000 less than anywhere else). I liked the car but not enough to have two cars or go through selling my current car or anything like that.

I understand the new ones are like $5000 more nowadays as opposed to 3-4 years ago, which I think is pretty ridiculous.
Old 04-16-07, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by solipsta
One thing I miss with having an automatic now is peeling out, down shifting, having a hand on the stick and using your left foot for something.

Old 04-17-07, 02:01 AM

A couple of comments here about safety of the Mini. I thought I'd post this link to a site which rates car safety...

"Euro NCAP provides motoring consumers with a realistic and independent assessment of the safety performance of some of the most popular cars sold in Europe.

Established in 1997 and now backed by five European Governments, the European Commission and motoring and consumer organisations in every EU country, Euro NCAP has rapidly become a catalyst for encouraging significant safety improvements to new car design."

Euro NCAP

The Mini was tested in 2002. A new model has just been released, which has yet to be tested - but I'd expect it to rate as well or, probably, better.
Old 04-17-07, 02:39 AM

Less jabbering, more pics.

Old 04-17-07, 06:58 AM

I've been thinking of getting a Mini myself but can't drive manual. According to the site, their automatic model has agitronic paddles. Anyone know what this is? I have a 1970 VW beetle that's "semi" automatic...you have to shift it into first/second gear but there's no clutch. Is this similar?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.