Reload this Page >

Prius Outdoes Hummer in Environmental Damage

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Prius Outdoes Hummer in Environmental Damage

Old 04-15-07, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by funkyryno
Give the kid a break. It looks like he's just a journalist student. I'm sure once he gets a job at Fox news, some pros will set him straight.
Hey, I worked for an AMERICAN car company. I love to trash Prius and boost giant SUVs as much as anybody. But, you know, there's that whole pesky truth thing. At least one "fact" in the article should actually pass fact checking and be a shining example to the lies.

I think the kid should work for CBS or NBC, they both fake the news to fit their agenda.
Old 04-15-07, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by funkyryno
Give the kid a break. It looks like he's just a journalist student. I'm sure once he gets a job at the NY Times, some pros will set him straight.

fixed
Old 04-15-07, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by OldDude
I think the kid should work for CBS or NBC, they both fake the news to fit their agenda.
NBC would probably blow it up for their test.
Old 04-15-07, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm sorry, I just can't get past any product made by Hummer having a 300,000 life expectancy.

They are, without doubt, among the very-lowest quality automobiles sold in North America today.
Old 04-15-07, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JustinS
I'm sorry, I just can't get past any product made by Hummer having a 300,000 life expectancy.

They are, without doubt, among the very-lowest quality automobiles sold in North America today.
Hey, no one thought my '95 Grand Prix would make 300,000 either. It's now at 280,900 and still hummin along.

Why do you think Hummer's are the very lowest quality automobiles sold in NA today? Just curious.

I wish they would have just stuck with the big ass original Hummer and not come out with all these Hummer's for Pussies.
Old 04-15-07, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
http://www.wikimapia.org/#y=46473468...5&z=17&l=0&m=a

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=46.48...5300&t=k&hl=en

although nothing looks like a "dead zone for miles" there are areas that certainly don't look healthy

Last edited by mikehunt; 04-15-07 at 12:22 PM.
Old 04-15-07, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Brent_MN
I wasn't sure how credible the source was. My mom actually got the article emailed to her by a Ford dealer she sells advertising space to in the local newspaper.
Ford dealer: "Hey, look how reliable GM's products are!"
Old 04-15-07, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

exactly.
Old 04-16-07, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Hey, no one thought my '95 Grand Prix would make 300,000 either. It's now at 280,900 and still hummin along.

Why do you think Hummer's are the very lowest quality automobiles sold in NA today? Just curious.

I wish they would have just stuck with the big ass original Hummer and not come out with all these Hummer's for Pussies.
do you know how many Toyotas need fixing before they are shipped to dealers vs how many GMs
Old 04-16-07, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

is that a dumb question? I don't know. I assume Toyotas.
Old 04-16-07, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

something like 70% of GM and Ford cars that come off the assembly line need to be fixed for issues. With Toyota and Honda it's less than 5%. GM and Ford tried to fix this but the UAW fought it and cried lost jobs.

Toyota and Honda make cars that are statistically a lot better than the Big 3. even back in the 1980's a lot of suppliers used to complain that Toyota and Honda wouldn't buy from them because their quality levels were too high.
Old 04-16-07, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

70% seems a little high, but maybe it isn't.

I know a lot of supplier problems are brought on by the automakers themselves. GM, for example, basically forced supplies to sell them products for less. Thus, in order to stay profitable, the supplier would need to cut costs someplace.
Old 04-16-07, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

this was a number from a wall street journal article a few years ago. the suppliers are pretty much the same for everyone these days. with GM there are a lot of problems in the plant with how the car is put together and this is where the UAW refused to cooperate
Old 04-16-07, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Al,
That 70% figure is way too high, at least for in plant repairs. The vast majority (90+%) pass rolls test and drive to the staging area for shipping. Since many plants run 80 behicles an hour, there aren't enough repair bays for 70% of the vehicles to go to a repair bay. (And the plant manager would completely freak out and kill somebody over the laborage overage.)

If you count minor stuff repaired by dealer (loose screw?), maybe it could get that high, but I doubt it.
Old 04-16-07, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

that's the number they gave. maybe not 70%, but it was over 50%.

article was about some guy name Padilla that Ford hired back in 2000 to improve quality and how the rank and file fought his suggestions
Old 04-16-07, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by al_bundy
that's the number they gave. maybe not 70%, but it was over 50%.

article was about some guy name Padilla that Ford hired back in 2000 to improve quality and how the rank and file fought his suggestions
Padilla worked there for 30+ years, that was just his last assignment. He was an Executive Engineer in Electronics Div. when I joined in 1978. Then he went to Engine, then North American Auto. Ops. He was a MAJOR hard-ass, and could rub people the wrong way. But "my way or the highway" was standard top management style. There may well have been malicious obedience.
Old 04-16-07, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by al_bundy
Toyota and Honda make cars that are statistically a lot better than the Big 3.
Wrong. I saw on a commercial that the Ford Fusion is statistically more fun to drive.
Old 04-16-07, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wasn't sure how credible the source was. My mom actually got the article emailed to her by a Ford dealer she sells advertising space to in the local newspaper.
She was emailed this article by a Ford dealer? Oh well, for a second, I thought this article was biased to help sell other vehicles, but Ford is well known to favor the Japanese competition.

It is a legitimate question to wonder how much overall energy is saved when you take into manufacturing cost. Unfortunately, this article doesn't have any real answers. He didn't mention how much energy it actually take to transport gasoline itself to all the stations. And thus, decreasing gas usage, compounds the energy savings by reducing the amount of fuel that needs to be transported to the stations. Those big gasoline trucks aren't exactly fuel misers.
Old 04-16-07, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by starman9000
Wrong. I saw on a commercial that the Ford Fusion is statistically more fun to drive.