Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

slacking DUI enforcement questions (thoughts?)

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 04-13-07, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I first have to admit that what follows is speculation/hersay...

i heard from a friend of my brother, this friend has passed his cop test and is waiting for a spot in philly (his father is some high ranking officer in philly, and his brother is also a cop- not sure philly or suburbs,) and he knows alot of cops through his family relations and as well as just being friends with a bunch of them. So the other week this friend mentions that the cops who work township i live in have been "unofficially?" mandated to stop giving out DUIs. The reason being is that it requires alot of paperwork and manpower to address and the chief, i guess, sees this as a waste of time. That a caught impaired driver is now just supposed to be driven home by the officer. [/B]maybe some charge is envoled to a lesser extent, but not a DUI/DWI charge.[/B]

I really didn't believe him, thinking he got his info crosswired or was just straight up messing around with me. With that i mentioned it a day or two later to a friend who casually knows a detective who works in my township, and she pretty much heard the same thing that my brothers friend told me.

I'm not pro drinking & driving or anything, but i do question the legal limit to a degree and think some people can handle a car better than offers, sober; as well and intoxicated (let's say buzzed instead.)

So i have no idea if this is really true but with it coming from two different (albeit second hand) sources, i think it may be. And that just strikes me odd, as there has been a recent surge of (local? national?) ads/announcements stating how cops are cracking down. the slogan; "you drink, you drive: you lose." with that aggresive champaign going on it seems illogical that my township is being lax about it.

i'm sure if someone is totally trashed and an obvious menace to him/herself and others on the road that this "laxness" might not apply.

I'm courious if any other persons in their towns have heard similar chatter. Is my chain being yanked? Are the police shirking a part of their responsiblity? Of so, is it justified, or an outrage?

thoughts?
Old 04-13-07, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The reason being is that it requires alot of paperwork and manpower to address and the chief, i guess, sees this as a waste of time.
What the fuck? It's their J-O-B! Too damn bad if there is paperwork involved. The job isn't all jumping and shooting your gun, like in the movies.
Old 04-13-07, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Nah, never heard of anything like that around here. The closest is that some guys will occcasionally just go with a reckless driving charge (same degree offense, just fewer penalties) if the driver isn't very far over the limit.

We're still very much into the DWI enforcement, though.
Old 04-13-07, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Originally Posted by Seantn
What the fuck? It's their J-O-B! Too damn bad if there is paperwork involved. The job isn't all jumping and shooting your gun, like in the movies.
Well, they could just skip the DUI paperwork and shoot the drunktard during the stop. Of course, that's a whole mess of different paperwork...
Old 04-13-07, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I would agree with this if - DUI Driving under the influence (in that gray zone) (is this the same as DWAI - Driving while Ably Impaired vs DWI Driving while impaired (over the legal limit)

Most states, due to politicians wanting to "tackle the issue" have continued to lower the limit to a point that 2 beers puts you over the limit! Come on.. Driving while a little drowsy is a lot more dangerous than having 2 beers. I could see where they are coming from - why ruin someone's life who for the most part is a good citizen if they happen to fall into that gray zone.
Old 04-13-07, 09:22 AM

Call your local newspaper and give them the tip. If there's anything to it, they may be able to sniff it out. If true, this is the kind of story a newspaper would want to do, and that can bring change. You wouldn't need to get involved.
Old 04-13-07, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.
Come on.. Driving while a little drowsy is a lot more dangerous than having 2 beers.
and all the 'studies' that have proven driving while talking on a cell phone is far worse than 2 beers as well.

I can say it just depends on how hot a political issue it is in your neck of the woods. In the liberal cesspool that is now Northern VA, people FREAK OUT if you open a beer and sniff it and then get behind the wheel
Old 04-13-07, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I highly doubt this. If there's one thing that law enforcement has focused on heavily the past 5 years, it has been DUIs.
Old 04-13-07, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

DUI is still a major problem... not sure how it is over here, but in CA in general, field sobriety tests aren't leaving/cutting down any time soon.
Old 04-13-07, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

the cops probabaly need more manpower to stop people from smoking marijuana
Old 04-13-07, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I doubt it too - my friend's dad, who's a pretty influential judge (and white), got a DUI recently - he wasn't even that far above the legal limit. You would think if anyone would get away with it would him (I also know some cops that have gotten DUIs). So if judges and cops are getting DUIs, I doubt they're getting lax about it.
Old 04-13-07, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've been run off the road by so many people on cell phones its nuts. Some people can handle 2 things at once.