Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

The Most Hated Family In America (The Phelps family)

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 04-12-07, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just found this Louis Theroux documentary on YouTube and was just wondering if any of you have watched it yet. It aired on BBC Two on April 1st I believe. I'm sure all of you already know about the family, but this was a more personal look into their lives and what goes on for the children and everything. Most of what you see will really piss you off, but much of it is also funny. Not only because it's so outlandish, but also because Louis Theroux comes off like a Daily Show Correspondent at times. If you are easily offended, think twice about watching.

Here is an interview with Theroux:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6507971.stm

And here is the documentary on YouTube:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2QRyr3_nCF4"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2QRyr3_nCF4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/N2h9NnUoYjw"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/N2h9NnUoYjw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nuKOyzlYx0E"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nuKOyzlYx0E" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/N41T53xE0QY"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/N41T53xE0QY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/U0P9elMQgrc"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/U0P9elMQgrc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RyPMTr5yMQI"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RyPMTr5yMQI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
Old 04-12-07, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

May I be the first to say...

YIKES!!!
Old 04-12-07, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm pretty sure the most hated family is still The Jacksons.
Old 04-12-07, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Jacksons Hated?

Maybe so, but I'd say they're probably more likely the most 'forgotten'...

Brent: ...you know, those links are like a train wreck!

I hate to look but I just HAVE to watch!!!

I was so convicted, I had to change my location!

-Paul

Last edited by The Edit King; 04-12-07 at 09:27 PM.
Old 04-12-07, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
As a Kansas gal, all I can tell you is that the more talked-about that guy Phelps is, the happier he gets. Thanks for giving him his wish.
Old 04-12-07, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Looks like a 1st amendment problem that can be solved with the 2nd amendment...
Old 04-12-07, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The only thing shocking about these people are that they are united and organized (albeit quite small in group size). There are folks that think exactly the same way in every person here's life, it's just that they have the good sense to not broadcast it.
Old 04-12-07, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What? This isn't about Bandoman??

Old 04-12-07, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That one daughter in the 2nd clip is pretty hot in a girl next door kinda way...

I guess I could learn to hate ****.
Old 04-12-07, 08:11 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
Better make arrangements to check into rehab.
Old 04-12-07, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That one daughter in the 2nd clip is pretty hot in a girl next door kinda way...

Cute.
Old 04-12-07, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I believe that the whole Phelps thing is an act to make money. I recall someone pointing out that the Phelps organization never recruits anyone. The only additions to the family seem to be through marriage. What religious organization doesn't try to gain converts?

The other piece of evidence is how many of the family members are lawyers. The Phelps organization brings in cash via lawsuits - either by goading people into assaulting a "church" member and then suing them, or by filing lawsuits against a city for denying permits.
Old 04-12-07, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MovieExchange

The other piece of evidence is how many of the family members are lawyers.
All the more reason to hate them.
Old 04-12-07, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Lunatikk
I'm pretty sure the most hated family is still The Jacksons.
Watch it. Nobody hates Tito!
Old 04-12-07, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I believe that the whole Phelps thing is an act to make money. I recall someone pointing out that the Phelps organization never recruits anyone. The only additions to the family seem to be through marriage. What religious organization doesn't try to gain converts?

The other piece of evidence is how many of the family members are lawyers. The Phelps organization brings in cash via lawsuits - either by goading people into assaulting a "church" member and then suing them, or by filing lawsuits against a city for denying permits.
Watch the videos. They seem to really believe what they're preaching.
Old 04-12-07, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow. Those people are NUTS! Why don't they pick up and move to Canada or something? Jeez.
Old 04-12-07, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Make signs that say "God Hates FAGscreen" in retaliation to fullscreen releases out in front of Circuit City and Wal Mart. I'm sure it'll get the message across just as well as the Phelp's family message gets across.
Old 04-12-07, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Watch the videos. They seem to really believe what they're preaching.
I've watched the videos, and I've heard the main spokesperson (the daughter) on the Stern show many a time. I still think it's a big act. They never recruit new members, and no matter what the issue is the Phelps family find some reason to protest it.
Old 04-12-07, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It's sad that these people continue to get press. If nobody would give them notice, they'd probably go away.

It is entertaining to hear the main broad on Howard Stern from time to time. They always end up getting owned by one guest or Howard on the topics.

The worst part of the whole thing is brainwashing their kids to think this way.
Old 04-12-07, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've watched the videos, and I've heard the main spokesperson (the daughter) on the Stern show many a time. I still think it's a big act. They never recruit new members, and no matter what the issue is the Phelps family find some reason to protest it.
I too am leaning toward an Andy Kaufmanesque ruse. I've kept tabs on this group for a few years and that can be the only explanation... lest the abject ignorance on their part and mine.

I guess I want to think better of my fellow man.
Old 04-12-07, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I too am leaning toward an Andy Kaufmanesque ruse. I've kept tabs on this group for a few years and that can be the only explanation... lest the abject ignorance on their part and mine.

I guess I want to think better of my fellow man.
Another piece of evidence I've heard brought up in favor of it being an act is that people claim that as soon as the TV cameras are gone, so is the Phelps family. If they were really concerned about getting their message out, wouldn't they stick around?
Old 04-13-07, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Some of those posters are so over the top they are hilarious:

**** Eat Poop.
Dyke Liberty.
Old 04-13-07, 12:43 AM

Thanks to the op for posting these videos. It's probably the most I've ever seen about this "group." It was interesting to see. Just because you disagree with something, or find it distasteful, is not reason to not learn about it.

That said... what a deranged group of insignificant little animals. Delusional enough to believe they know what a god wants.

But what a source of reassurance, comfort and empowerment that must be to believe you are serving an almighty being. But they couldn't be more wrong. Problem is, they are so drunk on their delusions, it is absolutely impossible to get through to them. Any attempt is repulsed by their delusion. Any attack just confirms it.

The best thing to do is to ignore them.

Fortunately, they are a small, extreme minority. Thing is, the small, extreme minority at the other end of the spectrum is just as bad.
Old 04-13-07, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can be pretty mean and nasty to people who cross me at times but this level of evil is something that just fucking frightens me down to my very core. I can't see anyone pretending to be this crazy/mean. Even attention whores have limits and this family seems to just keep going no matter what is said to them or what obstacles are put in their way.
Old 04-13-07, 12:53 AM

Thing is, with the way they are, anything said to them or an obstacles put in their way just reaffirms them. It's like on Star Trek when you try to use phasers on something that feeds on that energy - it doesn't destroy it, it just makes it stronger.

What's the point in trying to argue with them, anyway? They just think you are an evil, god-hating, Biblically uneducated heathen. You have about as much standing in a debate as a barking dog with them. That's why they just smiled at that guy so much. They just saw him as a babbling idiot.

Now, I do have many grave concerns about our society and world today. I tend to think most people are bad, not good. I think people are hedonistic. They're greedy, materialistic, ignorant, self-centered and such.

But people like this - and many of the devoutly religious - are more interested in serving their unseen, unheard, non-existant "god" than the real people right in front of them.

Last edited by Altimus Prime; 04-13-07 at 12:55 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.