Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

I was just a mini-hero to the prescription taking masses at my local pharmacy!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 04-11-07, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's Right!

Just an hour or so ago, I was standing in line at our neighborhood CVS (formally, 'Savon'), and the usual grumbling was going on in the line. (They're doing a re-model at the pharmacy and there are only 2 registers instead of the usual 4 or what have you.)

There was an older woman who was complaining and taking a really long time getting her 'monthlies'. After finally finding her charge card, she swiped it into the little 'swiper' device (you know, that little thingamabobby that you sign your name on with that little magic plastic stick pen or what not for charges?), well, she swiped it in such an angry way, that the entire device came off its stand, hit the floor and bounced into a nearby isle with her card still in the slot!

The Pharmacy cashier of that line freaked out and yelled, "I'VE LOST MY REGISTER!", and everyone in line all let out an, "OH NO...", and when I looked back into the line, I saw everyone doing a & a .

The Head Pharmacist woman said, "REBOOT IT!", and (for one reason or another) the register girl (still nervous) said loudly, "I CAN'T REBOOT IT WITHOUT THE SWIPER THING!!!".

She came around to the customer side of the register and proceeded to pick up 'the thing' and handed the charge card back to the old woman. She tried to plug in the connector that came out of the back of the device, but try as she could, she couldn't get it 'into' the socket thingy!

I believe someone behind me mentioned something about, 'getting the torches', but I'm sure I was just imagining things. &

Well, it was finally my turn at the 'good' register, and after the other girl (in the working register line) gave me my prescription, I paid for it and instantly went over to the disabled one. The manager was there by this time, but he wasn't having any better luck trying to plug the thing into the socket.

Having my trusty LED light on my key chain, I provided the light necessary to see what exactly was going on. He took a mechanical pencil out of his pocket and attempted to straighten the pins on what was similar to an 'S' connector, but only with more little wireish pins, but the lead on his pencil quickly broke, and he was visibly shaken as the folks in line were multiplying in number and the hostility factor was at least nearing a '10', of a possible '10'.

The register girl in her panic, bent nearly all of the of the pins flat, and the Manager dude wasn't helping things either as he was just cramming them flatter and flatter with every forceful attempt!

By this time, my heart was pumping nearly outside of my chest, and I took all that I could take! I reached back around me, and ripping the Velcro cover off, I whipped out my trusty LEATHER MAN - MAN TOOL (that Treesa recently bought me at Costcos), from my what is becoming my, 'utility belt' and chose the small standard screwdriver selection!

I took a deep breath and then exhaled as I reflected on my 'Operation" game days, and like a skilled Brain Surgeon, I slowly straightened each pin until they were all straight and or erect!

I closed my eyes, and being from the old school, I prayed a little prayer, and slowly pushed the adapter into the base socket of the device, and suddenly the register beeped a loud beep and the charge went through and the receipt popped out!

The Head Pharmacist came over and asked, "Did you fix it?", and people in line were asking each other, "Did he fix it?", and the Manager said, "Did you fix it?", and I said with loud excitement, "YES, I DID!!!", and the whole mob of people burst into applause, and the Manager said, "That's fantastic! If every customer was like you, I would be in Heaven!", and I was blushing and kicking an imaginary rock that wasn't there on the floor, and said, "I thank God for the privilege to help!", and the Head Pharmacist gave me a brand new pill counter knife & tweaser thingy, and the Manager went away but then came back with a bag of cream filled chocolate truffles and said, "For your help, I'd like to give you this", and I said, "Thanks a lot!", and everyone was very happy and I was as HIGH as a kite for being able to be help folks!

What an EXCITING AFTERNOON!!! &

-Paul (Aka: , Tek, THEEK!, That Idiot, etc...)

Last edited by The Edit King; 04-11-07 at 10:06 PM.
Old 04-11-07, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You the Man!
Old 04-11-07, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

THEEK, you overgrown boy scout! If you're ever in my neck of the woods, you are more than welcome to straighten my bent pins any time. I'll even bend some in anticipation of your arrival.
Old 04-11-07, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A refreshing change from the assholes we have to deal with!
Old 04-12-07, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Lounging on the beach in L.A., frappucino in hand...
Originally Posted by The Edit King
....I closed my eyes, and being from the old school, I prayed a little prayer, and slowly pushed the adapter into the base socket of the device, and suddenly the register beeped a loud beep and the charge went through and the receipt popped out!

The Head Pharmacist came over and asked, "Did you fix it?", and people in line were asking each other, "Did he fix it?", and the Manager said, "Did you fix it?", and I said with loud excitement, "YES, I DID!!!", and the whole mob of people burst into applause, and the Manager said, "That's fantastic! If every customer was like you, I would be in Heaven!", and I was blushing and kicking an imaginary rock that wasn't there on the floor, and said, "I thank God for the privilege to help!"

Paul, most entertaining read on Otter in recent memory. I just logged online to check my email, in which I found a reminder to check a couple of threads on Otter, which led me here, which means this is the first thread I'm replying to today, my birthday! Reading it is an entertaining way to start this hopefully-auspicious new year.

Sincerely,
"TEK Junior"

Old 04-12-07, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I love TEK threads!
Old 04-12-07, 10:19 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Originally Posted by Cool Kitten

HEY! Dont you have to live by the Hippocratic oath?
Old 04-12-07, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Okay, we have to clone TheEK. We need a lot more of him. Everyone should have their own!
Old 04-12-07, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

And like a breath of fresh air - The Edit King has spoken.....

Old 04-12-07, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
HEY! Dont you have to live by the Hippocratic oath?
i haven't killed anyone...(yet)
Old 04-12-07, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

People actually put "read ___ thread in Otter" in an Outlook calendar?
Old 04-12-07, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by melbatoast
People actually put "read ___ thread in Otter" in an Outlook calendar?
yes...
Old 04-12-07, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wish I'd been there to smack hell out of the lady who broke the card reader off onto the floor. Good show, though.
Old 04-12-07, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Good read, and good for you.
Old 04-12-07, 12:46 PM
Banned

If you have any room left on your Utility Belt, you should get a pouch for those little snappers shaped like tadpoles. They're not exactly gas pellets, but they are kinda distracting and I know they would figure neatly into a few adventures.
Old 04-12-07, 01:20 PM

I know I'm not alone in thinking "Big Deal"???

I mean, that was nice of you, but I'd like to think that anybody with the tools and the time would have done the same thing.

Unless you're from NY, in which case, you are indeed a hero.
Old 04-12-07, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

crazyronin: I AM???

Well, ALL RIGHTY THEN!!!

Eplicon: I've got my MAN TOOL in hand and READY TO ROCK!!!
Refreshing but brief. Either in a chat forum or in real life there's always a new one just around the bend...
Originally Posted by shoppingbear
this is the first thread I'm replying to today, my birthday!
What the...???

YEE-HAW & HEE-HAW!!!

Happy B-Day, and Everyday, shoppingbear!
Originally Posted by jdodd
I love TEK threads!
Me TOO!!!
Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger
Okay, we have to clone TheEK. We need a lot more of him. Everyone should have their own!
NOOOOOOOO!!!
Originally Posted by Minor Threat
And like a breath of fresh air - The Edit King has spoken.....

Yeah, like a fart in church!

...er...um...I mean,

Very Nice, Minor T Grasshopper!

-The Edit King Master
Originally Posted by Vibiana
Wish I'd been there to smack hell out of the lady who broke the card reader off onto the floor. Good show, though.
You and everyone else in line!
Originally Posted by kvrdave
Good read, and good for you.
Good for everybody! That line was getting really LONG!

I mean, it was like FEEDING TIME at the ZOO!
Originally Posted by Kudama
If you have any room left on your Utility Belt, you should get a pouch for those little snappers shaped like tadpoles. They're not exactly gas pellets, but they are kinda distracting and I know they would figure neatly into a few adventures.
You know, I wouldn't mind carryin' some of them little ball/cap things that when ya throw 'em on the ground they "POP". I think Fred Astaire used them in one of his dance routines or what not. I could use them to startle evildoers!
Originally Posted by sjhoffm
I know I'm not alone in thinking "Big Deal"???

I mean, that was nice of you, but I'd like to think that anybody with the tools and the time would have done the same thing.

Unless you're from NY, in which case, you are indeed a hero.
Well, for your information it WAS a "BIG DEAL"!!!

(...i don't get out much... )

Thanks, EveryBuddy!

OH, MAN! I LOVE THIS PLACE!!!

Your friend & mine,

-THEEK!

No smilie was harmed during the making of this post.

Last edited by The Edit King; 04-12-07 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Because that's what I do.
Old 04-12-07, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well if you would just hurry it up instead of moving so slow people would be nicer
Old 04-12-07, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

WHAT THE...???

OH, that's just GREAT.

Now you've gone and done it!

We're gonna be here ALL DAY!!! &

But Seriously Folks...

I've seen it time & time again!

It's sad but sometimes even funny how some people actually think they'll get quicker service by insulting the Pharmacist!

-Pablo

Last edited by The Edit King; 04-12-07 at 02:25 PM.
Old 04-12-07, 02:22 PM

I did something even more important and amazing yesterday.

I was standing in the ATM line to deposit some birthday checks (the 10th) and on one of the newspaper racks were a stack of papers. And it was a little windy and some of them were blowing off and into the street.

I immediately realized that if the stack of papers were allowed to remain where they were and the wind kicked up a little bit more, there would be a whole bunch of newspapers flying around the streets (I hate that).

So I looked around and made sure no one was coming up to stand in line (I didn't want to lose my place in line) and then made a mad dash to the stack of papers, scooped them up in both hands and ran back to the garbage can and slam dunked them into the bin.

Catastrophy averted in about 5 secs.

Paul, I'm sorry to steal your 'thunder', but the world is big enough for 2 heroes... and I didn't need any handy dandy tool kit to get the job done. Just my 2 hands and 2 feet.

Chris
Old 04-12-07, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

"Well Hello & Howdy, mrchristopherpayroll!

That's some MIGHTY FINE - DO-GOODER WORK if I might say so myself!

I'm just a 'mini-hero', but we need as many mini-heros as we can get!

Every little bit helps!

Your Community needs you!

Be a mini-hero to someone today!"

This has been an Other Forum Public Service Message.

-mini theek

Last edited by The Edit King; 04-12-07 at 02:40 PM.
Old 04-12-07, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Lunatikk
yes...
That's so silly to me. Ooh well!
Old 04-12-07, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mrpayroll
I was standing in the ATM line to deposit some birthday checks (the 10th).
You're only 10?

As for TEK. You can now join the mini-Justice League of America!

Mini-Aquaman needs to lay off the hamburgers tho.
Old 04-12-07, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 04-12-07, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I still love reading EK's posts ... they always make this cranky guy smile

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.