Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Another ticket question (input from police requested)

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 04-11-07, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I got a ticket yesterday and I want some advice about how to get out of it ....

Just kidding. I did get a ticket yesterday. It was a parking ticket. There is a sandwich shop not far from my house where I get dinner 2-3 times a week. Since I live in the city, there are no lots nearby -- only metered street parking. Usually, there is no parking to be found. However, there is a fire hydrant right by the sandwich shop, and people routinely double-park in front of it. I am one such person. I will double park, turn on my flashers, go into the sandwich shop, get my sub (to go), and I'm back in the car in 5 minutes, no problem.

That's the way it normally works, but last night, I came back to my car to find a ticket for parking in front of a hydrant. Fair enough -- I did the crime, I'll do the time. But what I've been noodling over since then is this: I forgot to turn on my flashers when I double-parked last night.

So here's my question -- would it have made a difference? Would a police officer coming across my car have said "He's got his flashers on -- he's obviously not really parked in front of the hydrant; he's just running in somewhere. I won't write him a ticket." Or am I kidding myself, and parking in front of a hydrant will get you a ticket whether or not you've got your flashers on?
Old 04-11-07, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

your use of flashers is definitely not for emergency... it's up to the officer's discretion to cite you or not.

bad day- probably
busy doing something else en route- prob not...

if i were on simple patrol just observing I would overlook things since there is no parking lot...

a moto cop on the otherhand has no remorse.
Old 04-11-07, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

www.parkingticket.com

turning on the warning lights does absolutely nothing to keep you from getting a ticket. at least in NYC
Old 04-11-07, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The flashers absolutely would NOT make a difference to me. Of course, it would have to be a real slow day to get me to write a parking ticket.
Old 04-11-07, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Two flashers will get me to stop any day. gigggity giggity
Old 04-11-07, 02:17 PM

Eh, I'd say your bascially screwed, just pay the ticket.
Old 04-11-07, 02:22 PM
Political Exile

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think it makes a difference. One time I was dropping off my friend, and I just pulled up to his house next to another car, and put on my hazards. So I guess I was double parked. Mind you this is a side street with little to no traffic. Cop pulls up, gives me a double parking ticket. I had literally stopped for 5 seconds, and I was about to pull away.
Old 04-11-07, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by antennaball
The flashers absolutely would NOT make a difference to me. Of course, it would have to be a real slow day to get me to write a parking ticket.
Considering that most cities don't even use "real" cops to write tickets anway...
Old 04-11-07, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
The whole concept of using flashers when parking illegally has me It's like saying "LOOK HERE! IM HERE PARKED ILLEGALLY BUT ONLY FOR A MINUTE," only with lights. Somehow I don't think the ticket person would care one way or the other, though the blinking lights might attract him or her to the spot.
Old 04-11-07, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I always thought they were called, "Emergency" flashers or hazard lights.

For what it's worth: If it was a serious emergency or hazard related situation, I believe they'd drop it, but if it was anything other than that...

FOGITABOUDIT!!!
Old 04-11-07, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deftones
Considering that most cities don't even use "real" cops to write tickets anway...
I think you mean parking tickets
Old 04-11-07, 04:38 PM
Suspended

It's called hazard lights. It isn't get out of illegal parking light.

Hazard lights is standard equipped for the purpose of warning on-coming traffic to avoid you should you park on the side of a road changing flat tire or car broke down. Now had you turn your hazard lights on, jack your car up with one tire unmounted and spare tire ready to go, but ran to the sandwich shop for 5 minutes, I think you might be able to fight the ticket off.
Old 04-11-07, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Could have been worse...

Old 04-11-07, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I love that photo
Old 04-11-07, 07:14 PM

Using your "flashers" does not allow you to park in front of a fire hydrant, or anywhere else where parking is prohibited. Flashers are not a pass.

And that photo is a classic! They even smashed his windows! I wonder what that moron who parked in front of the hydrant did when he saw that. Probably complained. Hopefully no one listened.
Old 04-11-07, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JasonF
So here's my question -- would it have made a difference? Would a police officer coming across my car have said "He's got his flashers on --
It depends.....was she and her sister hot?

-p