Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Did NASA Accidentally “Nuke” Jupiter?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics
View Poll Results: Did NASA Accidentally “Nuke” Jupiter?
Yes.
8.11%
Maybe. I'm not sure.
21.62%
No.
40.54%
It was not an accident. They did it on purpose.
8.11%
I don't care. I just like to vote in polls.
13.51%
This poll sucks!
8.11%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-11-07, 01:40 AM
Political Exile

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a great article.

http://www.enterprisemission.com//NukingJupiter.html
Old 04-11-07, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh, wow, it's 2010 all over again. Hal? Hal!

Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure!
Old 04-11-07, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And where's the twikoff option?
Old 04-11-07, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What van der Worp had suggested, in terms of Galileo, was merely a variant on the now well-known design of the “Fat Boy” plutonium nuclear weapon used against Nagasaki at the end of World War II -- an “implosion” plutonium reaction (below).

In order to bring the sub-critical pieces of plutonium-239 together in a bomb fast enough for a catastrophic fission reaction to take place, in the original Los Alamos design Seth Neddermeyer (one of the Manhattan Project scientists), following on an idea by Richard Tolman at CalTech in 1943, began working on a novel but almost impossibly difficult idea (in 1943) for smashing plutonium pieces together in mere millionths of a second. Such a device was called an “implosion mechanism,” and became the key to the success of the plutonium bomb. At its simplest, it consisted of several layers of carefully shaped high explosives, wrapped around the central sub-critical masses of plutonium (below). When triggered, the resulting high energy explosive shock waves (below, right) drove these plutonium pieces closer together in a highly compressed, spherical configuration -- resulting in a sudden transformation of the many plutonium pieces into a single “supercritical” mass … and a resulting runaway nuclear explosion.

Something's been triggered, all right.

Last edited by Shazam; 04-11-07 at 02:07 AM.
Old 04-11-07, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Ah yes, Richard C. Hoagland, the guy that sees faces on Mars. Considering that the idea comes from him and his ilk (and cites being on "Coast to Coast AM" as support ), I'll take it with an enormous, gaseous grain of salt.
Old 04-11-07, 04:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by grundle
Oh god...my brain just broke. I think I may have to read that again.
Old 04-11-07, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Since it wasn't enough to reach critical mass...I would say no.
Old 04-11-07, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Uh... I'll go with Phil Plait and say no:

http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/misc....html#hoagland
Old 04-11-07, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I said no. I never trust anybody named Jacco!
Old 04-11-07, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
They nuked Jupiter after staging the moon landing, covering up the Face on Mars and suppressing all the astronaut UFO sightings.

What will they do next?
Old 04-11-07, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by crazyronin
Since it wasn't enough to reach critical mass...I would say no.
Critical mass is inversely proportional to the square of the density, which increases with pressure. Critical mass for Pu-238 is about a 10kg sphere. The article states that the probe contained about 20kg in 144 individually sealed capsules. So we have about 0.14kg per capsule.

sqrt(10/0.14) = 8.5

So if we increase the density 8.5 times we'll get a critical mass. Of course to get a supercritical mass needed for a nuclear explosion requires at least double that. so we have to increase the density a mere 17 times. That's a slight problem since even modern nuclear devices using shaped charges creating megabars of pressure and shaped cores specifically designed to aid compression only increase Pu density up to around 5 times. 4kg is considered the minmium needed for a modern nuclear device, and that's highly purified weapons grade Pu-239, you would need a few more kg if using Pu-238.

So what is this "alpha state" nonsense that only requires 30 kilobars of pressure?

First off all the "alpha state" doesn't mean the plutonium is going nuclear, which the article implies. Pu has 6 solid phases depending on pressure and temperature, so it just means the metal is changing it's crystal structure to the most dense alpha phase.

The phase change is only critical when you have a linear implosion device that uses the phase change to create a supercritical mass. Linear devices are carefully designed with explosives to reshape several near critical masses into a supercritical mass. This can be achieved by physically reshaping them and inducing the phase change to increase the density (thus lowering the mass requirements as shown above). A common design uses Pu in it's less dense delta phase and then induces the alpha phase. Of course such devices require even more fission mass than normal implosion devices, but are smaller devices overall because they aren't required to use large amounts of explosives to generate high compression.
Old 04-11-07, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by wmansir
Critical mass is inversely proportional to the square of the density, which increases with pressure. Critical mass for Pu-238 is about a 10kg sphere. The article states that the probe contained about 20kg in 144 individually sealed capsules. So we have about 0.14kg per capsule.

sqrt(10/0.14) = 8.5

So if we increase the density 8.5 times we'll get a critical mass. Of course to get a supercritical mass needed for a nuclear explosion requires at least double that. so we have to increase the density a mere 17 times. That's a slight problem since even modern nuclear devices using shaped charges creating megabars of pressure and shaped cores specifically designed to aid compression only increase Pu density up to around 5 times. 4kg is considered the minmium needed for a modern nuclear device, and that's highly purified weapons grade Pu-239, you would need a few more kg if using Pu-238.

So what is this "alpha state" nonsense that only requires 30 kilobars of pressure?

First off all the "alpha state" doesn't mean the plutonium is going nuclear, which the article implies. Pu has 6 solid phases depending on pressure and temperature, so it just means the metal is changing it's crystal structure to the most dense alpha phase.

The phase change is only critical when you have a linear implosion device that uses the phase change to create a supercritical mass. Linear devices are carefully designed with explosives to reshape several near critical masses into a supercritical mass. This can be achieved by physically reshaping them and inducing the phase change to increase the density (thus lowering the mass requirements as shown above). A common design uses Pu in it's less dense delta phase and then induces the alpha phase. Of course such devices require even more fission mass than normal implosion devices, but are smaller devices overall because they aren't required to use large amounts of explosives to generate high compression.
Yeah, what he said!
Old 04-11-07, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If so, would the Jovians feel compelled do respond? Or would they even notice?
Old 04-11-07, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

my head hurts
Old 04-11-07, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bigsoos
my head hurts
Mine, too. *rubs bigsoos head*
Old 04-11-07, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Mine too.
Old 04-11-07, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Old 04-11-07, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rexinnih
Mine too.
*rubs rexinnih's head, too*
Old 04-11-07, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why is twikoff not an option???
Old 04-11-07, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger
If so, would the Jovians feel compelled do respond? Or would they even notice?
Given the size of Jupiter it would probably have the impact of a gnat landing on Mt. Everest.
Old 04-11-07, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wmansir

sqrt(10/0.14) = 8.5

If OldDude confirms this I'm on board.
Old 04-11-07, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by movielib
If OldDude confirms this I'm on board.

Yeah. Sorry wmansir, but I can't just believe some random post on a message board, regardless of how good it looks mathmatically.

C'mon OldDude - tell us what to think!
Old 04-11-07, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk God

We do need to make sure that will kill all the life on Jupiter, so hopefully we do it some more.
Old 04-11-07, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by movielib
They nuked Jupiter after staging the moon landing, covering up the Face on Mars and suppressing all the astronaut UFO sightings.

What will they do next?
Probably suggest that the real reason Pluto is no longer classified as a planet is because we accidently blew it up.
Old 04-11-07, 12:36 PM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Thank you grundle. This thread made my day!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.