Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

My upstairs neighbor is a giant douche

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

My upstairs neighbor is a giant douche

Old 04-09-07, 02:34 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: NYC
Posts: 17,018
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My upstairs neighbor is a giant douche

I live in an apartment. I have three neighbors: one below, one to the side, and one above. The one below I've never seen. The other is a nice guy. We've talked once or twice; he helped me move in my TV, I lent him a vacuum cleaner. And yesterday, I found out that the third one—the one above me—is a giant douche.

At about 3:30 in the afternoon his surround system starts blaring. Thump. Thump. Thump. Thump. Thump. Thump. It's so loud I can feel the vibration in my apartment. My girlfriend and I are trying to watch TV (yes, at a moderate volume) and we can't concentrate. I complain about it, and she tells me to relax. I ignore it, and now she's getting pissed off. It may be 4, but this is ridiculous.

I bang on the ceiling. It's probably the third or fourth time I've done that in the two and a half years I've lived here. Wait. No change. I hit the ceiling harder this time. Still no change. So I decide to go up there and ask him to turn it down.

I've never seen my upstairs neighbor, so I don't know what to expect when he opens the door. I live in a fairly nice complex that charges unreasonable rent, so I'm not exactly prepared to see a big, fat slob answer the door in a wife beater and his boxer shorts. 300 pounds, easy. He's just missing the massive yellow grease stain on his shirt.

"Can you turn down your music?"

"No?" he says, as if I had just asked something incredibly stupid, and with more than a little hostility.

I'm a little surprised by his reaction. I kind of expected it to go more like, "Oh, sorry, I didn't know you could hear it. I'll turn it down a little." It's what I would have said. But then again, I'm not a giant douche.

"Well, I can hear it in my apartment."

"Tough shit. I always hear you."

Now, I've lived in apartments for about six years. In that time, I've never received a single sound complaint. And I know it's not always quiet, that noise comes with the territory. But this is bullshit, and he knows it. First, I don't ever play music over my surround sound system. Second, I keep DVDs at a regular volume, and anyway, he lives above me, if anyone should be complaining it should be the person who lives below me.

"Well, I don't play music in my apartment, but anyway, if you have a problem with the volume you can let me know and I'll turn it down."

"I don't have a problem with it." What?

"Well I do. Turn down your music."

"It's a TV, and no."

"Ugh, whatever. I'll just go talk to the main office and have them harass you about it instead."

"I don't give a shit what you do."

So I go to the main office and talk to one of the office managers about it. He says he'll talk to him, and the head office manager will also pay him a visit. And the next time there's a problem, he says, just call security, so it's on record.

I don't know if he talked to him then or not, but about half an hour later the noise stopped for the rest of the night.

I hate shitty neighbors.

Last edited by Breakfast with Girls; 04-09-07 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04-09-07, 02:37 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
ben12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Where I live?
Posts: 2,792
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Start smoking some of those cigar-like cigarettes. His whole apartment will stink.
Old 04-09-07, 02:37 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Hero
 
El Scorcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 39,628
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 04-09-07, 02:38 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Puyallup
Posts: 16,435
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reason #4134123 why I am glad I do not live in a apartment.
Old 04-09-07, 02:39 PM
  #5  
2017 TOTY Winner
 
Save Ferris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 13,578
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
get the revenge CD


Got a noisy neighbor? Unleash this CD on them. It features: 1) Drill 2) Party (At Least 200 People) 3) Orgasm (Outstanding) 4) Train 5) Drum (Played by a Child) 6) Inhuman Screams 7) Walking (High Heels) 8) Domestic Squabble 9) Doors Banging 10) Bowling 11) Unhappy Dog 12) Practicing Scales (Violin) 13) Traffic Jam 14) Garbage Truck

link here:
http://www.crazyaboutgadgets.com/rel...Annoying%20CD#
Old 04-09-07, 02:39 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
 
kenbuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 21,065
Likes: 0
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Apartments are teh suck. Save up your money and buy a house. No shitty upstairs neighbors, start building equity for yourself, and get big tax breaks!
Old 04-09-07, 02:40 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 20,726
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In my experience, a lot of the people who blast loud music are just obnoxious jerks.


It is amazing really, how can people blast music so loud and not get their hearing damaged?
Old 04-09-07, 02:40 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin
 
Adam Tyner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Greenville, South Cackalack
Posts: 21,855
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kenbuzz
Apartments are teh suck. Save up your money and buy a house.
I swore off apartments and bought a house for the same reason as BwG, but considering his location is marked as "Seattle", buying a house is probably much, much, much easier said than done.
Old 04-09-07, 02:40 PM
  #9  
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 2,464
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
call the cops at 3 in the morning and tell them the noise upstairs is unbearable.

the cops will scare the shit out of him.
Old 04-09-07, 02:41 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
 
kenbuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 21,065
Likes: 0
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I swore off apartments for the same reason as BwG, but considering his location is marked as "Seattle", buying a house is probably much, much, much easier said than done.
Then round up your cats, hire a cab, and move to Arizona.

BwG, I'm sorry about your situation, but in the final analysis, you are where you chose to be. Fix it or be somewhere else.
Old 04-09-07, 02:43 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin
 
Adam Tyner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Greenville, South Cackalack
Posts: 21,855
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kenbuzz
Then round up your cats, hire a cab, and move to Arizona.
Well, I live in Greenville, South Carolina, so buying a house wasn't remotely a problem for me.

Most of my family lives in Arizona, and housing prices are astronomical anywhere remotely near Phoenix too.
Old 04-09-07, 02:43 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York City
Posts: 411
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
a big, fat slob answer the door in a wife beater and his boxer shorts. 300 pounds, easy. He's just missing the massive yellow grease stain on his shirt.
LOL, that's what I was thinking your neighbor would look like before you described him.
Old 04-09-07, 02:44 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: NYC
Posts: 17,018
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kenbuzz
Then round up your cats, hire a cab, and move to Arizona.

BwG, I'm sorry about your situation, but in the final analysis, you are where you chose to be. Fix it or be somewhere else.
I can see your point. I have a noisy neighbor, therefore I should move to Arizona. It all makes sense now.

Old 04-09-07, 03:11 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
SoSpacey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Jersey
Posts: 4,238
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ranger
In my experience, a lot of the people who blast loud music are just obnoxious jerks.


It is amazing really, how can people blast music so loud and not get their hearing damaged?

come on....

a lot of people like loud music, including me. i dont like it unbearable, but i do like it loud sometimes.

most of my music playing is done in background, and the volume stays low for that.

but if i get a new cd and i am cleaning the house or whatever, the volume goes up.

now if my neighbor complained i would be accommodating, but many people like to really HEAR their music when they play it. my wife doesn't.

i just don't get people who like their music low.
Old 04-09-07, 03:13 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Dr. Henry Jones, Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: My Car
Posts: 6,752
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I probably would have had the same reaction as your neighbor. But I would have been accomodating if it was late. Not at 3:30 in the afternoon.
Old 04-09-07, 03:13 PM
  #16  
Retired
 
Join Date: May 1999
Posts: 27,449
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
I can see your point. I have a noisy neighbor, therefore I should move to Arizona. It all makes sense now.

It sucks, but due to similar problems (and worse) with neighbors over the years I've pretty much ruled out living in a metropolitan area when I'm done with grad school as I want to be able to buy a stand alone house right away and not have to put up with that shit anymore.
Old 04-09-07, 03:26 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: New York City
Posts: 5,233
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I swore off apartments and bought a house for the same reason as BwG, but considering his location is marked as "Seattle", buying a house is probably much, much, much easier said than done.
Seattle is expensive? I don't think so....
Old 04-09-07, 03:28 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mopower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: The Janitor's closet in Kinnick Stadium
Posts: 15,726
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All us apartment dwellers will just hurry up and save $50,000 for a down payment on a house. There is a reason we live in an apartment.
Old 04-09-07, 03:34 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Randy Miller III's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 4,708
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm one of the unlucky few apartment-dwellers with surround sound setups, but I try not to be inconsiderate. I always keep the volume at a reasonable level (especially between 9:00 PM and 9:00 AM) and have never received a complaint from neighbors or management. If either approached me, I would gladly turn the volume down.

Soon as my wife and I get a house, though, we're blastin' that shit.
Old 04-09-07, 03:40 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 25,062
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mopower
All us apartment dwellers will just hurry up and save $50,000 for a down payment on a house. There is a reason we live in an apartment.


I was just about to post this exact thing.

Gee, you mean you can own your dwelling now? Why didn't anyone tell me?!!!!
Old 04-09-07, 03:45 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: NYC
Posts: 17,018
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lunatikk
I probably would have had the same reaction as your neighbor. But I would have been accomodating if it was late. Not at 3:30 in the afternoon.
Really, the exact same reaction?

So making your neighbor's apartment vibrate is acceptable, but only if it's not late (whatever that means to you)?

What you're basically saying is that your ability to do what you want is more important than anyone else being able to do the same.

How does that make you any different from my upstairs neighbor, who happens to be a giant douche?
Old 04-09-07, 03:55 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Legend
 
LurkerDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The People's Republic of Boulder
Posts: 22,098
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
One big mistake in my opinion was banging on the ceiling. That's being a douche too, irrespective of whether he was, unless that is a system you worked out with him in advance.

It's hard to say, we weren't there to hear the music, but when I lived in apartments (or with roommates in a house) I would try my damnedest not to complain, because I don't want them complaining about me. And it was in the afternoon. He may have been a douche, but he doesn't sound like the douchiest douche to ever douche.
Old 04-09-07, 03:57 PM
  #23  
Retired
 
Join Date: May 1999
Posts: 27,449
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mopower
All us apartment dwellers will just hurry up and save $50,000 for a down payment on a house. There is a reason we live in an apartment.
You can buy a house with a much smaller (or even $0) down payment these days. Interest rates will of course be higher, but it it easy to do. A lot of my friends have done just that, and then moved after 5 years and made enough profit to have a tidy down payment on their next house (where they plan to stay for a long time).

But of course it's much more difficult in crazy expensive metropolitan areas. Reason number 1 that I'm looking for a smaller city location when I'm done with grad school.
Old 04-09-07, 04:07 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Bronkster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: AnaheimLand, SoCal
Posts: 15,854
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unless buying a house was already a goal, then I can't see it as a solution to this situation. Dealing with douches is a fact of life, in an apartment or a house. Sometimes it's worse in the house because then the douche feels more entitlement to be a douche because he "owns the place". Also, it's not just worrying about the down payment for a house, it's all the maintenance and upkeep and yard work and everything you have to take of on your own.

As for the noise, where I live the concept of "disturbing the peace" is not limited to a time of day. 3:30 in the afternoon can be just as disturbing as 3:30 AM. Don't try to outdouche your neighbor by over-complaining, but when he does cross the line with noise, call security as suggested by the manager. The douche will either realize he's a douche and settle down (doubtful) or he will become a worse douche about it (probable). It sucks to have to put up with people like that, but they live everywhere, so moving isn't a cure-all solution.
Old 04-09-07, 04:07 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: IL
Posts: 3,509
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lunatikk
I probably would have had the same reaction as your neighbor. But I would have been accomodating if it was late. Not at 3:30 in the afternoon.
Newsflash: not everyone has the same hours as you. Some people work nights. Your attitude is extremely inconsiderate. Living in an apartment means being a considerate neighbor, and realizing that you live in close proximity to someone that doesn't necessarily want to share your movies, music, and sexual escapades with you in addition to a wall, ceiling or floor.

Just call security every time he does that; maybe he'll get evicted if he proves to be a total pain in the ass. And talk with your neighbors so see if you all are in agreement that he is disruptive - complaints from 3 or 4 of you may prompt the manager to take action.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.