Any Harvard GSD Students/Alumni Here?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 04-09-07, 09:32 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a few things I'm curious about.

1) I have a family member who was accepted to Harvard GSD (MArch) program and s/he's considering whether to addend GSD or a decent ranked public graduate school (something on the order of Georgia, but not Georgia -- I'm just familiar with Georgia). S/he asked for advice on which to attend.

My initial thought was to first look at simple payback. I initially figured GSD would net $30,000 more per year in salary (just a ballpark guess based on my experience with HBS) and costs $75,000 more to attend (total, and that's about his/her actual cost), in which case it made sense... Then I went to look up the real numbers to give advice. I was shocked to find out that architects only make about $40,000 / yr out of school (according to salary websites), in which case I highly doubted the $30,000 / yr upgrade for GSD (Harvard apparently doesn't publish graduate salaries).

Question 1: What kinds of salary upgrades do you see from GSD or another comperable schools vs. public schools?

Question 2: How much of a difference does it make in hiring? Will someone say "oh, you're a Harvard man/woman" and give you an advantage over someone with a public school education? In my experience, there is little to no advantage in fields like engineering, but a hugh difference in business. I know there's a "social advantage" for laypeople, but what about in an architecture firm setting?

2) When architects design buildings, do they ever have civil engineers or anyone else even remotely technical look at these things? I saw some of these designs from GSD, and I guarantee half of them would never be able to stand. Maybe it's just me, but if someone is designing something that I expect to live or work in, I want to see the loading calculations with an engineering stamp on them. Not some foam/wood model.
Old 04-09-07, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'd ask around with local firms or firms where she wants to work, maybe with state associations for that kind of thing? I know it definitely varies by the field, for instance the Harvard PhD program for clinical psych is not worth attending, especially since it lost acreditation a few years ago.

-p
Old 04-09-07, 12:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by pedagogue
I'd ask around with local firms or firms where she wants to work, maybe with state associations for that kind of thing? I know it definitely varies by the field, for instance the Harvard PhD program for clinical psych is not worth attending, especially since it lost acreditation a few years ago.

-p
Yeah, I figured as much. I just wanted to get some opinions from otters. I'm sure he/she will check with firms in the specialization that he/she wants to pursue (sorry about being vague, but I want to leave as few clues as possible in case someone connected with the school stumbles on here -- not sure how many they admit each year, but I'm sure it's around a few hundred).

It's hard to find Architecture rankings, but some posts I found with a google search lead me to believe that Harvard is #1.