Reload this Page >

The coldest Easter in 30 years...

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 04-08-07, 11:07 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Says the local news. And we still have a couple of weeks left.
Old 04-08-07, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Easter now lasts more than 1 day?
Old 04-08-07, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Just as my Global Warming model predicted.
Old 04-08-07, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Anytime it is sleeting in the Houston area in April, things are wrong.
Old 04-08-07, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kvrdave
Don't you get it? Global Warming makes things hot and cold! We're all gonna freeze/burn!
Old 04-09-07, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mopower
Don't you get it? Global Warming makes things hot and cold! We're all gonna freeze/burn!
I just went to Sam's Club, so I'm going to be ok.

Old 04-09-07, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kvrdave
The environmentalists are just providing deep cover for the real threat, global cooling. Ice ages are a bitch, just ask the mammoths.
Old 04-09-07, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

How did I know that this thread would mention global warming...

Any time that there's a cold snap, every dittohead in America drags out the old "whatever happened to global warming" joke. (To be fair, every time we have a heat wave, all of the tree huggers jump up and down and scream about carbon emissions.)

Important note to all involved: we're talking about a planet. Global warming is based on a planetary average. Thus, there will be cold days and warm days, ice storms and 100 degree temperatures. The key is to average all of these things together, and when you do, unquestionably, the earth is warmer.

There are two constants that everyone agrees on -- the earth is getting warmer, and CO2 levels in the atmosphere are reaching historic levels. There is something of a scientific debate as to the corrolation between those two facts, but neither is in question in virtually any domain. To me, and to 90% of the scientists in the world, one constant clearly defines the other, but again -- with a planetary change -- the immense scope makes it difficult to talk exclusively.

In any case... it's an average. Doesn't mean we won't have cold Aprils. Doesn't mean we can't have warm Novembers. As always, the truth lies somewhere in the middle.
Old 04-09-07, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 04-09-07, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

How long did they average?

Where are the Ice Ages?

I accept it has been warmer at times in the past. Are they seriously arguing it has never been appreciably colder in the past?

Should we be worried that man has evolved entirely in a cool spell? The last time we hit the high temperature limit, the dinosaurs were in charge. Maybe we just need expanded detail over the last million or 100K years.
Old 04-09-07, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike
charts...

No not those averages. The ones that prove global warming exists.
Old 04-09-07, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

God damn Global Warming.

Its making everything so COLD!
Old 04-09-07, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not to get too far off on a global warming tangent... but I remember back in the seventies and early eighties "global cooling" was all the rage. We were all going to die as plants withered in the arctic chill:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_cooling

Just like today, there were front page articles, public debates etc.
Old 04-09-07, 09:28 AM
Suspended

We didn't listen!
Old 04-09-07, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Again... there are two absolutely unquestioned, scientific facts:

1) The earth is getting warmer.

2) There are historic levels of CO2 in the atmosphere.

Now, if you want to say that there is no correlation between these points, go right ahead. If you want to say that the models and projections are all wrong, sure, no problem. If you want to explain away point # 1 ("sure, it's warmer, but it's only a few percentage points warmer, and who knows, it could get cooler again") or point # 2 ("maybe the CO2 increase is caused by some kind of underwater volacanic venting"), heck, go for it. Knock yourself out.

But to me... it's like looking at a dead man with a gun in his hand and a hole in his head and suggesting that he drowned.
Old 04-09-07, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
This animation shows the changing location of the Earth's climatic belts through time. The legend to the left of the maps illustrates the position and width of the modern climatic belts.

Notice how the climatic belts are more or less fixed. The continents move through the different belts.

In the past, the width of the climatic belts has changed. When the Earth is in an Ice House phase, the Polar and Cool Temperate belts expand ( 0, 300, 630 million years ago). During Hot House times, the Arid and Warm Temperate belts expand (100, 200, & 400 million years ago).

When the continents are gathered together in a Pangea, the wet tropical belt sometimes disappears.
http://www.scotese.com/paleocli.htm

What I get from the site is that Scotese doesn't really address global warming. He's more interested in how the position of the continents on the globe. When Greenland is close to the equator, it's warm there. Also the position of the continents affects climate.

Check out the animation -- it's pretty nifty.
Old 04-09-07, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by NCMojo

1) The earth is getting warmer.

Now, if you want to say that there is no correlation between these points, go right ahead. If you want to say that the models and projections are all wrong, sure, no problem. If you want to explain away point # 1 ("sure, it's warmer, but it's only a few percentage points warmer, and who knows, it could get cooler again") or point # 2 ("maybe the CO2 increase is caused by some kind of underwater volacanic venting"), heck, go for it. Knock yourself out.

But to me... it's like looking at a dead man with a gun in his hand and a hole in his head and suggesting that he drowned.
Of course, the existance of those two facts doesn't mean they are correlated, or if they are, it doesn't mean one causes the other. There is considerable debate as to whether CO2 causes warming or vice-versa. Implementing economically disasterous (especially for the poor) policies before we know whether they will even be effective at inhibiting global warming is irresponsible. Hell, I've yet to see an extremely compelling case that global warming is a net disaster.
Old 04-09-07, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Duran
There is considerable debate as to whether CO2 causes warming or vice-versa.
Among scientists, less and less every day.

Among people with political axes to grind, the "debate" has gotten increasingly shrill as it becomes harder and harder to deny the mounting evidence in support of human influence on climate.

Hell, I've yet to see an extremely compelling case that global warming is a net disaster.
It probably wouldn't be for wealthy Americans, at least at first.

Gregg Easterbrook writes well and calmly on environmental issues. Here's a working paper he wrote last year. This was before the IPCC report.
Old 04-09-07, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The key phrase, dork, is "net disaster". That means you take the good and the bad, lump them together, and see what you get.

Example: Most of the eastern seaboard will be under water. BUT that just means it won't take as long for the rest of us to drive to the beach!
Old 04-09-07, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dork
Gregg Easterbrook writes well and calmly on environmental issues. Here's a working paper he wrote last year. This was before the IPCC report.
I started to read this. I admit, I was put off when I saw the title: "Case Closed: The Debate about Global Warming is Over." He then goes on to acknowledge "uncertainties," including the results of global warming on actual temperature and whether the planet will be wetter or drier. He then uses a senseless Russian roulette analogy to show why it doesn't matter what the results are, we should stop global warming if there's a mere possibility it could be harmful.

Except stopping global warming is nothing like choosing to not to play Russian roulette. There are real costs involved, and these costs disproportionately affect the poor and developing countries. It's easy for us to talk about giving up SUVs and making other, ridiculously minor sacrifices. We already have much, much more than we need. How about those that don't?
Old 04-09-07, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Of course, the existance of those two facts doesn't mean they are correlated, or if they are, it doesn't mean one causes the other. There is considerable debate as to whether CO2 causes warming or vice-versa.

I'm pretty sure the planet Venus would disagree with you.
Old 04-09-07, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Canadian Bacon
Easter now lasts more than 1 day?
Easter can refer to the entire season which lasts 7 weeks after Easter sunday.
Old 04-09-07, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by NCMojo

Doesn't the graph above show the opposite?
Old 04-09-07, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Timber
And the global warming on Mars shows it is all the fault of those damnn Mars Rovers, and their exhaust. It must have absolutely nothing to do with the variable power output of the sun, because then humans couldn't cause it (or fix it). If only mankind had just stayed home.
Old 04-09-07, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Timber
Oh, please. Venus' atmosphere is 96.5% CO2. Earth's is 0.04%.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.