Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Cat people: thoughts/opinions?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 04-06-07, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Lounging on the beach in L.A., frappucino in hand...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, that's YOU, CK, Kitty, Vibs and the rest. Amusing that all the cat people I can think of off the top of my head are women.

After the most horrific veterinarian's experience ever Saturday, just trying to get my poor Teddy seen by a vet (mostly just for a checkup, but in the previous few days her fur had gotten some thin spots on her neck), we finally had to give up and come back to a different place Tuesday night.

The new vet checked her over, took her temp, did blood and urine lab work, and pronounced her "as healthy as can be", especially for an almost-11-year-old kitty. The thin-hair balding spots are just where her collar has been rubbing, apparently, and the vet says not to worry because the skin is fine/not-irritated, she's not scratching it, she has no parasites, etc.

She did say, however, that she needs a teeth cleaning, and as we leave we get an estimate: almost $250 on the low side, and up to $650 if they need to do any "dental procedures" while they have her out. SIX HUNDRED and FIFTY DOLLARS? I about passed out. It was years ago when I last had her teeth done, but it was about $100 if I recall correctly.

So, two questions:

1) Is there anything I can do to encourage hair regrowth in the bald spots she has on either size of her neck? The vet says they'll grow back in time, no worries, etc, but I thought I'd ask.

2) Is $250-$650 a "reasonable" estimate for a teeth-cleaning, including anesthesia, for a cat? Is there anything I can do or give her or treat her at home to stave this off a bit? I'd be willing to try brushing her teeth, does that ever work?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 04-06-07, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My fiancee had dentals done for her two cats which are around 10 and 12, and I know she didn't pay more than a few hundred for both. And this was at a very nice vet office here in the Chicago burbs. Hell, even her cat's dental surgery to remove the root of her broken-off top fang didn't cost $650.
Old 04-06-07, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

$650 is very, very expensive. In my area they charge around $350, and my vet is considered pricey.
How old is Teddy? And how bad are her teeth? I never had dental done on Nicky due to his heart problems (they won't put him under) and he still has his teeth.
You could try giving her dental treats like Greenies and also using a cat toothbrush and toothpaste on her, but i personally found that using it is a good way to lose a finger
As for her thinning hair, it could also be age, so i wouldn't sweat it.
Old 04-10-07, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't know about the dental care. I don't get dental care for my cats and won't unless they have a problem. With five cats, well ... Vib's pocketbook isn't that healthy.

Leave her collar off her for a while to give the hair a chance to grow back. I assume she's an indoor cat, right? And if she's microchipped, she's safe enough without a collar.
Old 04-10-07, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The price depends upon where you are. The place where I work, a dental cleaning on a cat is about $100. With bloodwork, medications to go home, and up to four extractions, it could reach $300.
Old 04-10-07, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by shoppingbear
1) Is there anything I can do to encourage hair regrowth in the bald spots...
I am interested in this one as well.

The answer to #2 is to do nothing. I have had many cats. I have never had their teeth cleaned. I have never had a cat lose teeth. Just feed them dry food, and you are good to go.

I know the local vet very well. He tells me that the real money is made in what people are willing to do for their pets just to show how much they care. He told me that often, some of the heathiest cats he ever sees are strays. Cats do a good job of taking care of themselves naturally.
Old 04-10-07, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Cool Kitten
$650 is very, very expensive. In my area they charge around $350, and my vet is considered pricey.
How old is Teddy? And how bad are her teeth?
Yeah, see, this is in the L.A. area, not exactly known for the cheapest prices, but I was still pretty shocked. I looked again at the estimate, it's like $230 for cleaning and anesthesia and a bit of bloodwork to clear her for the anesthesia (which if I have this done "soon", they'll waive, since they just did a full set of labs on her), plus up to four "dental procedures" at over $100 each, which is where it gets up to $650. They said I can cap it at any amount, which I might do, IF I do this at all.

She's almost 11, I've had her for almost 10 years, and I checked my records again and I was mistaken, I never have had her teeth cleaned (got the estimate but then was working crazy hours and never got around to it at the time). Her teeth are fine in the front, her back teeth have visible plaque, but they're not worn down or damaged at all that I can see (nor did the vet point out any damage).

I might try the "at home" treatments, she's very good about me handling her for other things, so I think I'm willing to try the "toothbrush". Should be fun.

Yeah, she eats only dry food (by choice... she just stopped eating canned several years ago), eats those tarter control treats occasionally but doens't love them, and she's 100% indoor only. I've left the collar off since we found the bare spots, but I need to get her microchipped, it makes me nervous to not have a collar on her in case of something happening (one of my coworkers was telling me about her cats getting out when there was an earthquake a few years ago and it broke a window or something).

I've been REALLY blessed with her, she's been remarkably healthy, just a few immunizations and the occasional check-up and she's absolutely problem-free. I'm hesitant to put her through the procedure if it's not NECESSARY, but don't want her to lose her teeth or something (I had a friend back home who had to have her cat's teeth pulled, because of dental disease... but the cat was old by this time). Thanks everyone for the advice.

Dave, maybe the same advice would work: stop wearing a collar, and the hair will grow back?

Old 04-10-07, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wait, are we to offer thoughts and opinions on cat people here, or are you directing cat people to offer thoughts and opinions on your situation?

Because if it's the former.. boy I could go on for hours.
Old 04-10-07, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by El Scorcho
Wait, are we to offer thoughts and opinions on cat people here, or are you directing cat people to offer thoughts and opinions on your situation?

You know what: so could I. I used to laugh at cat people myself, before I got one.

Sorry kid, I'm looking for cat owners' opinions on my cat's situatin. Bummer.
Old 04-10-07, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kvrdave
The answer to #2 is to do nothing. I have had many cats. I have never had their teeth cleaned. I have never had a cat lose teeth. Just feed them dry food, and you are good to go.

Had to have 2 fangs removed on one of my cats and he had a third break off. He was in pain from one of the teeth that had to be removed that's why we got it done but I probably wouldn't do it again if he wasn't showing signs of them hurting him.

Just get some of the teeth rinse that you pour into there water and be done with it. That price seems pretty expensive.
Old 04-10-07, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My oldest cat has really bad plaque but no dental desease whatsoever, and he's almost 14.
To be honest i wouldn't put them under unless it was absolutely medically necessary, i don't like anesthesia.
Old 04-11-07, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by El Scorcho

This is exactly why I started reading this post as well.
Old 04-11-07, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Currently I have four cats (three indoor--ages 2, 7, 8 and one indoor/outdoor feral which I've tamed--age unknown) and I'm really against putting cats under anesthesia unless it's for emergency surguries. I always search for ways to keep their teeth in good shape since they really "object" to me brushing their teeth. I use the following three items:

Suzie's Tartar Liquid (in their water)

http://www.suziestartarliquid.com/testimonials.htm

A plaque cleaning powder that I sprinkle on their wet food. (Can't recall the name of it.) I purchase it at Centinela pet stores:

http://www.centinelafeed.com/

Hill's Science Oral Care Feline (A dry food which I give them sporatically as a treat.)

http://www.hillspet.com/zSkin_2/prod...bmLocale=en_GB

In combination they seem to work very well together since there is minimal tartar on their teeth which are very white.