Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

What to do in Cleveland, Ohio??

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 04-06-07, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK....i searched for this, and didn't find anything here...

But, I'll be in Cleveland in a few weeks, and other than an Indians game (check) and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (check), what else is there to do? I'm staying in downtown, looks like about halfway between the Jake and the Rock Hall.

So, im looking for attractions, restaurants, etc....anything you can offer.
Old 04-06-07, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think you can buy fireworks in Ohio. I don't think there's much else......other than that.
Old 04-06-07, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Western Reserve Historical Society
Old 04-06-07, 11:54 AM
Premium Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dick_grayson
I think you can buy fireworks in Ohio. I don't think there's much else......other than that.
Nope. (well, there are a few places you can buy them, but it is not legal to fire them off in Ohio)
Old 04-06-07, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Cry.
Old 04-06-07, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There are lots of great things in Cleveland.

You may want to check out the Great Lakes Science Center (next door to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame). The Science Center has an Omnimax Theater.

If you like live theater, you could check out Playhouse Square...there's always stuff going on there.

You could check out a concert or eat at the House of Blues.

We have many great museums in Cleveland.

If you like meat....check this out. It's all you can eat.

Brasa Grill Brazilian Steakhouse
1300 W. 9th St.
Cleveland, Ohio 44113
Old 04-19-07, 12:44 PM

You mentioned an interest in the Rock Hall and basball, so this deal may be for you!

Great Lakes Science Center Package Deals

Passport to Family Fun
February 23 – June 10, 2007

Purchase the Passport to Family Fun package to enjoy three of Cleveland’s premier attractions. The Passport includes admission to the “Diana A Celebration” exhibit at the Western Reserve Historical Society, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum and the Great Lakes Science Center.

The Passport to Family Fun package is on sale now at WRHS box office, all Ticketmaster Outlets, Charge by Phone at 216-241-2121 or visit www.ticketmaster.com.

Adults (13-61) $44

From March 31 - June 10, Passport Visitors may select a combination of any two GLSC attractions. The choices are General Exhibits, an OMNI Film, or the Baseball As America exhibit.

Since you have expressed interest in baseball, you could check out that exhibit($14.50 value) and an Omnimax film ($9.50 value), the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame ($20 value) and the Western Reserve Historical Society ($20 value).

Do you know the exact dates you'll be in town? I can recommend some temporary exhibits with that information.
Old 04-19-07, 12:53 PM

What do you like to do? History, Architecture, Theatre, Comedy Clubs, Dance, Bars, Trendy Food?

A nice way to get an overall view before deciding where to go- is to take a ride on Lolly the Trolley's tour. You can spend $10 for an hour, or $15 for a 2 hour tour that can give you an idea of the layout and attractions.

Playhouse Square is a great venue for Broadway, Ballet, Shakespeare...- the theatres are absolutely stunning and they offer an ecletic mix of shows. It's the second largest performing arts center in the country.

If you like history, it might be worth venuring about 25 minutes outside the city to the suburb of Mentor- President Garfied's home, Lawnfield, is very well preserved. This was the house where he ran his "front porch" campaign and is now a museum.

There's a statue in the center of Public Square that is actully a museum, the Soldiers and Sailors Monument. Near the Great Lakes Science Center is the William Mather steamship and the USS Cod submarine. These are both open to tour as the weather warms up. We also have 2 tourist cruises that venture out onto either the Cuyahoga River, or Lake Erie- Nautica Queen and the Goodtime III.

Other great museums can all be found together in University Circle- you'd have to drive or take a short cab ride from downtown, but once you get to the area you can move between museums very easily. Cleveland Museum of Art's collections are closed during remodeling, but they currently have an extensive temporary Monet exhibit. There's also the Botanical Gardens, the Cleveland Museum of Natural History (with Planetarium), Severance Hall (home of the Cleveland Orchestra), the aforementioned Western Reserve Historial Society (with Crawford Auto-Aviation Museum and attached mansion). If you visit, also check out the Glidden House- a remnant of Millionaire's Row that's now a smaller hotel. Their carriage house has been turned into Sergio's Brazilian restaurant. You're on Case Western Reserve and Cleveland Institute of Art's campuses at this point. Check out the Case Peter B Lewis building- a funky design by Frank Gehry.

From University Circle, you would also be very close to Little Italy. It's probably fairly self explanatory- and Mamma Santa's is a VERY popular place for pizza.

A little hike up the hill will take you to LakeView Cemetery, "Cleveland's Outdoor Museum." President Garfield has a large building, and many prominent Clevelanders/Americans are buried here- including John D Rockefeller and Elliott Ness. It may sound odd to visit a cemetery, but they have done a great job with historical signage and tours. I've taken many people here, who have visited again later on their own.

Actually, from here you'd also be fairly close to the Coventry neighborhood, with more of a young, fun atmosphere and interesting shops- check out Big Fun for 70's toys. This area is very ecletic, and you'll see many Gay/Lesbian themed gifts, a couple Vegeterian restaurants, artsy cinema...

From the sounds of it, your hotel will be within walking distance of the 4th Street Neighborhood. There you will find Pickwick and Frolic- a comedy/dinner venue in the style of Charles Dickens. There are several trendy restaurants- Vivo, in the Old Arcade (Hyatt Hotel) has a downstairs lounge that is open on weekends after 8pm. Lola Bistro- chef Michael Symon has been nominated for a James Beard award this year. Very trendy NYC atmosphere, really innovative cuisine- on the pricey side, but worth it to me. The House of Blues, Flannery's Irish Pub, Fat Fish Blue's, and the new Corner Alley- a combination bowling alley and martini bar...

The Avenue at Tower City is at the heart of Public Square, and kinda the heart of Downtown. The shopping is nothing to get excited about, but there are some great restaurants- you'll find the Hard Rock Cafe here and a basic food court and movie theater, but if you take a seperate set of stairs up to the top floor, you'll find some nicer dining- the Ritz Carlton has a new restaurant Bice (pronounced bee-chay) and there's also a Houlihans and Morton's steak house. Attached to Tower City is the Renaissance Hotel- a beautiful place to enjoy a drink and their restaurant- Sans Souci is a favorite of mine.

If you like more casual dining, check out Alice Cooperstown near the Tribe's ballpark or any Winking Lizard or Panini's around town.

Within walking distance from Public Square is the Warehouse District. Lots of restaurants and bars here- too many to name, in fact. But, have a drink in each one if you like to experience different atmospheres. D'Vine wine bar is great if you like to try different flights of wine and Cleveland Chophouse is a more upscale microbrewery. I like the lunches at Waterstreet Grille quite a bit.

If you have a car or want to take a cab- some of the nearby neighborhoods can be fun to expore. Ohio City has a lot of old Victorians, but mostly it's known for Great Lakes Brewing Co- a great place to sit outside and people watch while enjoying a very good microbrew. They have a newer "green" beer garden, if you're so inclined. There's a Market Street wine bar next door, as well as the West Side Market across the street. It's a great source for locals, but you could easily grab some pizza bagels and produce and have a snack while wandering around. Rachael Ray visited during her $40 a day, and she said you had to try the perogis there. I guess they're a bug deal to outsiders, but they're just a staple to Clevelanders!

Tremont is another up and coming nearby neighborhood- with more trendy restaurants and martini bars. If you like the movie "A Christmas Story" - you can visit the house where the Parkers lived. There's also a museum dedicated to memorabila.

I jokingly believe that if you have an interest, we have a museum for it. NASA, near the airport offers free tours to all American citizens with proper ID. Cleveland has a Police Museum (dedicated to famous lawmen and criminals alike), a Polka Hall of Fame about 15 minutes east of downtown, and nearby Akron has the Football Hall of Fame !

If you're interested in any links or more information, I'd be happy to help. I love my city, and never tire of places to go and things to see! We just need to work on the image others have. However, I will say that a main road- Euclid Ave- is torn up right now and that makes things unsightly!

Last edited by Renee; 04-19-07 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Bolded for easier reading
Old 04-19-07, 02:07 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Renee, great post. I especially have to second the recommendation for Lakeview Cemetery. It's worth the trip to Cleveland all on its own. Oh, and that Gehry building is weird as shit:

Old 04-19-07, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by wendersfan
Oh, and that Gehry building is weird as shit:
Especially given it's location, crammed in among the gorgeous older buildings of the rest of the campus!

My stepfather-in-law is a Case grad, who donated yearly to the school of management. That is, right up until this building went up. He told the school that if they could afford to build such an ugly building, by such a prominent architect- they clearly didn't need his donations!

You have to love it for its oddity. Even if it does look like everything else Gehry designs! Inside is actually kinda cool, as the walls have a very unique feel. I might appreciate it more if I was able to get some distance and really look at it. As it stands now, I see it from the top of the Garfield Memorial and just shake my head!

Speaking of famous (especially unusual) architects, I should mention that visitors to the Rock Hall might note a familiarity in the shape of the building. It was designed by I.M. Pei, who also designed the exterior triangle of the Louvre.
Old 04-19-07, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Another Case grad here! Renee - your first post covered pretty much everything and brought back a lot of good college memories.
Old 04-19-07, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Leave town immediately.
Old 04-19-07, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Vibiana
Leave town immediately.
rude and rude!!!

Old 08-27-07, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll be in Cleveland over labor day weekend. How about some recommendations on cool restaurants/bars?
Old 08-27-07, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I will also be in Cleveland the 8th or 9th so thanks for all this info! Any other breweries or brew pubs of note?
Old 08-27-07, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Was there for 24 hours last year during my road trip.

Went to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and caught an Indians game.