When they say follow Jesus, they don't mean it literally

Old 04-06-07, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When they say follow Jesus, they don't mean it literally

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070406/..._crucifixion_1

Filipino devotees nailed to cross By JOEAL CALUPITAN, Associated Press Writer
Fri Apr 6, 4:00 AM ET

Seven devotees were nailed to crosses on Good Friday in a northern Philippine village where the rites drew thousands of tourists and spectators.

The Lenten ritual is opposed by religious leaders in the Philippines Southeast Asia's largest predominantly Roman Catholic nation. But it has persisted to become one of the country's most-awaited summer attractions in San Fernando City's San Pedro Cutud village.

The devotees' palms and feet were attached to wooden crosses with 4-inch nails soaked in alcohol to prevent infection after a nearly mile-long walk to the mound, each carrying a wooden cross on their backs.

Among the yearly penitents in San Pedro Cutud was Ruben Enaje, a 46-year-old commercial sign maker who was nailed to the cross for the 21st time on Friday.

Earlier in the day in the same village, dozens of half-naked men hit their bloodied backs with bamboo sticks dangling from a rope in a flagellation rite meant to atone for sins.

More than 100 foreign tourists flocked to this year's Good Friday rites, with many of them seated on a stage at the side of the mound.

"They take this religion to the extreme," observed Gomas de Miguel, a tourist from Spain. "In Spain, we say we are Catholics but we don't do this anymore I think."

"It's not my belief, but I know that they are sincere in what they are doing so I respect it," said American tourist Dennis Smith.
Old 04-06-07, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh that has to hurt.
Old 04-06-07, 11:00 AM
Admin

Received 155 Likes on 96 Posts
You could suffocate someone on the cross by simply tying their wrists to it. The nails are a nice touch though.
Old 04-06-07, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Ouch.

Call me on Sunday if they are raised from the dead.
Old 04-06-07, 11:24 AM

This is total BS.

These so called Christians do this to show how faithful they are to Jesus on this important day. They try to emulate what he did for all of us (die for our sins, so that we may be saved).

This is one day out of 365 and the other 364 days? They sin just like the rest of us, not being loving and serving others as Jesus did 365 days a year (366 during a leap year - did they have that back then? .

It's easy to do something like this (painful maybe), but they need to give their lives to Christ in a way that shows the real reason that Christ was sent to us. To show us how we are to live our lives in communion with God the Father, trusting in Him for everything in our lives, helping and loving others as Christ did while he was here on Earth.

This is just a cheap stunt that does nothing but bring ridicule on them. There was only One person who was worthy to die on the Cross for all of us. There is only One person who lived his / her life without ever commiting a sin against The Father or against Creation and that person is Jesus the Christ, Son of God.

Amen!

Chris
Old 04-06-07, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
Ouch.

You won't be getting a call.

Chris
Old 04-06-07, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
What if they rise from the dead on Sunday?
Old 04-06-07, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Look at how gingerly that guy is tapping in the nail. Christ - that would take an hour. I'd want the person to use a sledgehammer and get it over in a second.

The article didn't really specify - do they actually lift up the crosses after the people are nailed to them, or do they just lay around for a while and then call it a day?
Old 04-06-07, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

"Among the yearly penitents in San Pedro Cutud was Ruben Enaje, a 46-year-old commercial sign maker who was nailed to the cross for the 21st time on Friday."

21 times?
Old 04-06-07, 11:37 AM
Admin

Originally Posted by GoVegan
Look at how gingerly that guy is tapping in the nail. Christ - that would take an hour. I'd want the person to use a sledgehammer and get it over in a second.

The article didn't really specify - do they actually lift up the crosses after the people are nailed to them, or do they just lay around for a while and then call it a day?
Yes they lift up the crosses.
Old 04-06-07, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Jules Winfield
"Among the yearly penitents in San Pedro Cutud was Ruben Enaje, a 46-year-old commercial sign maker who was nailed to the cross for the 21st time on Friday."

21 times?
He's now old enough to drink the wine!

Chris
Old 04-06-07, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by mrpayroll
It's easy to do something like this (painful maybe), but they need to give their lives to Christ in a way that shows the real reason that Christ was sent to us. To show us how we are to live our lives in communion with God the Father, trusting in Him for everything in our lives, helping and loving others as Christ did while he was here on Earth.

I agree - this is a stunt and, I feel, that it is almost blasphemy! Turning his sacrifice into a "look I can do that too" stunt. These people are doing this of their own free will and are not going to DIE!

Jesus was the son of GOD and could have stopped what was happening to him at any time. He could have turned non-believers into believers, and struck down his enemies and opposition. He Chose not to. Instead he chose to die for us.

These people doing this stunt are missing the point
Old 04-06-07, 11:43 AM
Admin

This is total BS.
How do you feel about the Evangelicals who reenact the Stations of the Cross in the public square? Personally, I think both are spectacles, but I think everyone expresses themselves in different ways.
Old 04-06-07, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GoVegan
They generally don't lift the crosses up until after lunch. While you're laying there, you just hope the Cross Lifters Union doesn't decide to go on strike, because the Cross Removers aren't allowed to remove until after the lifting is complete. I don't think the Cross Lifters have gone on strike since '87 though, which of course was the legendary "splinter in the thumb" incident which resulted in all Cross Lifters being given gloves, additional medical benefits and eye protection for the Head Cross Lifter nearest the crown of thorns as a preventative measure.
Old 04-06-07, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Jules Winfield
21 times?
I know! Just wait till he gets up to his 37th...
Old 04-06-07, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by VinVega
How do you feel about the Evangelicals who reenact the Stations of the Cross in the public square? Personally, I think both are spectacles, but I think everyone expresses themselves in different ways.
I'm not familiar with Stations of the Cross.

Chris
Old 04-06-07, 12:08 PM

They generally don't lift the crosses up until after lunch. While you're laying there, you just hope the Cross Lifters Union doesn't decide to go on strike, because the Cross Removers aren't allowed to remove until after the lifting is complete. I don't think the Cross Lifters have gone on strike since '87 though, which of course was the legendary "splinter in the thumb" incident which resulted in all Cross Lifters being given gloves, additional medical benefits and eye protection for the Head Cross Lifter nearest the crown of thorns as a preventative measure.
Source?

Chris
Old 04-06-07, 12:15 PM
Admin

I'm not familiar with Stations of the Cross.

Chris
Basically, they reenact the trial and crucifixion of Jesus in the public square.
Old 04-06-07, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't have a problem with the stations of the cross as a re-inactment for on-lookers, but self-imposed crucifiction is over the line.....
Old 04-06-07, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Minor Threat
I don't have a problem with the stations of the cross as a re-inactment for on-lookers, but self-imposed crucifiction is over the line.....
Yeah, if everyone is playing their parts as actors, as in a play, then I don't have a problem with it. As long as their message is biblically accurate.

Chris
Old 04-06-07, 01:30 PM

Religious fanatics, they'll do anything in the name of God. This is ridiculous though. What are they proving to themselves? If they were really ballsy they would have worn the crown of thorns, and have the EDIT(The lance of longinus, not a wooden stake)/EDIT driven through their heart.

Last edited by leest3; 04-06-07 at 01:44 PM.
Old 04-06-07, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ouch.

Probably not since none of them died.
Old 04-06-07, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by leest3
Religious fanatics, they'll do anything in the name of God. This is ridiculous though. What are they proving to themselves? If they were really ballsy they would have worn the crown of thorns, and have the wooden stake driven through their heart.

Jesus was a vampire??
Old 04-06-07, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by leest3
Religious fanatics, they'll do anything in the name of God. This is ridiculous though. What are they proving to themselves? If they were really ballsy they would have worn the crown of thorns, and have the wooden stake driven through their heart.
A wooden stake? They are re-enacting the crucifixion, not Bram Stoker's Dracula.

I wonder why so many of you are getting so upset over this. For millenia, Christians have been putting themselves in pain so that they may feel a taste of the suffering that Jesus endured for them. Isn't that what Lent is about?
Old 04-06-07, 01:45 PM

Sorry, I meant the lance of longinus.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.