Reload this Page >

Best pizza in Los Angeles?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 04-06-07, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm headed to LA for a work conference in mid-May, and I wanted to get some opinions about the best pizza to be found there. Or is LA even a good place for pizza?

Of course, I've eaten some fabulous pizza in NY and Chicago, but are there equivalents in LA?

If not, what's some great, great, fairly cheap food to eat there? You know, signature LA food?

EDIT: I will be right in the downtown area, Wilshire and Grand, and I won't want to travel farther than a 5-mile radius...or so....

(And don't worry, I will be eating plenty of In-n-Out Burger for lunches.)

Last edited by FunkDaddy J; 04-06-07 at 11:32 AM.
Old 04-06-07, 11:58 AM

Phillipes by Union Station is the home of the French Dip.

Good sandwiches & cheap. Usually pretty crowded.
Old 04-06-07, 12:00 PM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
You lost me at pizza and LA.
Old 04-06-07, 12:03 PM

Casa Bianca pizza in Eagle Rock on Colorado Blvd. Been going there since the late 1960's and their pizza hasn't changed one bit. There is always a line outside to get in, but you can order to go.

It was voted LA's best pizza back in 1987, which is saying a lot. It has been family owned since the mid 50's, in the same location and the family of course is from Italy, so the pizza is authentic Italian pizza pie.

I'm getting hungry thinking of it right now and it's breakfast time. I actually like the pizza better the next day, cold, when all of the flavors have congealed into one great tasting pizza.

It's a little farther than 5 miles, less than 10, but if you're interested, take the 110 N to the 5 N to the 2 Fwy going E I believe (towards Glendale) and get off on Colorado Blvd. Make a right and go about 3 miles and it's on your right hand side. Their is a Tommy's Burgers across the street, if you need a landmark.

Chris
Old 04-06-07, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

http://www.newsfromme.com/archives/2...13.html#013089
Old 04-06-07, 12:30 PM

From that link:

"In Los Angeles, I have heard people swear that the closest thing to "New York Pizza" is to be found at Mulberry Street Pizza (in Beverly Hills and Encino), at Frankie & Johnnie's (in Beverly Hills, Brentwood and Hollywood), at Damiano's (on Fairfax, across from Canter's), at Rocco's (in the Miracle Mile and on Vermont, across from L.A. City College) and at Johnnie's (many locations)."

These all sound good, as does Casa Bianca above. Any personal experience with any of these others?
Old 04-06-07, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Can't think of any pizza places near downtown.

I would also highly recommend Casa Bianca in Eagle Rock. Place is quite small so be prepared for a wait.

Also Dino's Pizza in Burbank, 3520 W Burbank Blvd. I love this place.
Old 04-06-07, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This isn't New York. If you're coming here for the food you are going to be disappointed.
Old 04-06-07, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by General Zod
This isn't New York. If you're coming here for the food you are going to be disappointed.
Well, NY doesn't have In-n-Out Burger. I just want some good cheap food. Preferably pizza. Jesus H. Christ, I love pizza.
Old 04-06-07, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

LA kicks NYC's ass in the sushi, Thai, and Vietnamese departments. Not to mention Mexican. Lots of good burgers around, too.
Old 04-06-07, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by dork
LA kicks NYC's ass in the sushi, Thai, and Vietnamese departments. Not to mention Mexican. Lots of good burgers around, too.
We also kick their ass in smokin' hot women & of course in basketball.

Chris
Old 04-06-07, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by dork
Not to mention Mexican. Lots of good burgers around, too.
Hey, if you've got a minute, I'd love to hear about some great Mexican food in the downtown area.

And if you've got some particular favorite burgers, lemme know.
Old 04-06-07, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by FunkDaddy J
EDIT: I will be right in the downtown area, Wilshire and Grand, and I won't want to travel farther than a 5-mile radius...or so....
If you want good pizza and you're going to be at Wilshire and Grand, I've got a great place for you right around the corner on 6th Street:

Lamonica's New York Pizza
518 W 6th St.
Los Angeles, CA 90014
(213) 614-1100

Fantastic pizza, and reasonably priced.

There's 2 or 3 other pizza places in this general area (all within walking distance from Wilshire/Grand), but none of them even come close to Lamonica's.

The only other "decent" pizza place downtown is inside the Macy's Plaza on 7th Street at the intersection of 7th and Flower. I can't remember the name, but it's downstairs in the food court.

I work downtown, so I know all the places to eat lunch around here. Unfortunately, if you're looking for cheap and good, your options are pretty limited.
Old 04-06-07, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hey, if you've got a minute, I'd love to hear about some great Mexican food in the downtown area.
I don't have a minute, but this guy does.

I'll try to recommend some burgers later.
Old 04-06-07, 02:40 PM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

And if you've got some particular favorite burgers, lemme know.
Of course there are tons and tons of great Mexican restaurants in the L.A. area, but the tried and true has always been El Cholo... Order their Cadillac Margarita and anything off the menu and you will not be disappointed. There's one just west of downtown L.A. on Western Ave:

http://www.elcholo.com/

Burgers, hands down: In-and-Out or the runner up Tommy's for an amazing chili burger.

Have fun and enjoy!
Old 04-06-07, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If you want a good steak go to Palm, its right near Staples Center. That's where Ari Gold orders the Gigi Salad and signs clients.
Old 04-06-07, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Double Down
If you want good pizza and you're going to be at Wilshire and Grand, I've got a great place for you right around the corner on 6th Street: Lamonica's New York Pizza.
Now we're talkin'! This sounds great. I'll definitely give it a try. If you've got any other recommendations for the area, food or otherwise, I'd love to hear 'em. Thanks!
Old 04-06-07, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by hal9000
Of course there are tons and tons of great Mexican restaurants in the L.A. area, but the tried and true has always been El Cholo... Order their Cadillac Margarita and anything off the menu and you will not be disappointed.
Sounds like a great dinner. Many thanks.
Old 04-06-07, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by hal9000
Burgers, hands down: In-and-Out or the runner up Tommy's for an amazing chili burger.
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay ahead of ya.
Old 04-06-07, 03:06 PM

Now we're talkin'! This sounds great. I'll definitely give it a try. If you've got any other recommendations for the area, food or otherwise, I'd love to hear 'em. Thanks!
There's a great area called the "Water Court" which is on Grand near the Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA). They have a place called California Sushi that's fantastic, and a sandwich place called Mendocino Farms. If you're in the mood from some healthy (but still very good) food, there's also a place in this area called Organic 2 Go.

There's another food court at the corner of 7th and Figueroa, but this is your standard "mall-type" food court with places with Quizno's, Arby's, etc.

If you're ever in the mood for some quality food and you're willing to pay a bit more to get it, there's a Roy's Restaurant (seafood place originally from Hawaii) on Grand just before Olympic Blvd., and a fantastic restaurant called The Engine Company at Wilshire and Figueroa.

Other than lunch places, there's not much else downtown. Although they are starting to build a lot of skyrise loft-type apartments down here, there's not much to do. The area still definitely caters to businesses, and most places aren't even open on the weekends.

As far as "things to do," you've got the Staples Center if there are any events there while you're here, the MOCA (museum I mentioned earlier) and a movie theater that's on Figueora near the World Trade Center building.

You've also got the jewelry district and the fashion district, but some of those areas can get pretty shady if you don't know where you're going.

If you're willing to venture out past the downtown area, there are countless things to do in LA. I've worked downtown for 6 years, but I'd never consider living here.

Last edited by Double Down; 04-06-07 at 03:08 PM.
Old 04-06-07, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by VinVega
Me too.
Old 04-06-07, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Domino's
Old 04-06-07, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Abbot's Pizza in Venice has some great pizza. I miss it after I stopped working right across the street.
Old 04-06-07, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by VinVega
I guess this is a good thread for you and Flashback, then...
Old 04-06-07, 05:41 PM

And hey FunkDaddy J, if you're 'emeritus', how come I've never seen you in The Other?

Chris

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.