Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Best pizza in Los Angeles?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Best pizza in Los Angeles?

Old 04-06-07, 06:20 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pizza ... Rocco's on the miracle mile and Joe Peep's in Valley Village (http://joepeeps.com).
Old 04-06-07, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Thick crust pizza from Sorrento's in San Pedro is my favorite pizza anywhere.
Old 04-06-07, 10:33 PM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by FunkDaddy J
Sounds like a great dinner. Many thanks.
Too bad you wont remember any of it after drinking the Cadillac margarita...

Old 04-07-07, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by hal9000
Too bad you wont remember any of it after drinking the Cadillac margarita...
Whittier, eh? Been to that El Cholo location many times. Tasty food and great margaritas, but a 50/50 chance you'll spend the rest of the night in the john.

And I'll second the Joe Peep's recommendation. Best in L.A., IMO.

As for sushi, Yoshi Sushi in West Hollywood is the best in town. Cheap, casual and dollar sake nights.

FunkDaddy, check out the website Yelp. I usually get my restaurant recommendations from there. (L.A. locals reviewing the best of L.A., basically.)
Old 04-07-07, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

California Pizza Kitchen. It makes you appreciate good pizza more.
Old 04-07-07, 01:40 AM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TimeandTide
Whittier, eh? Been to that El Cholo location many times. Tasty food and great margaritas, but a 50/50 chance you'll spend the rest of the night in the john.
Oh, been there, done that... that location is close to Whittier but is actually in La Habra. I was referring to the original El Cholo in mid-town L.A., also the El Cholo on the west siiiiiiide (I believe it's near/or in Santa Monica) is good too.

A tip in avoiding the "john" don't eat the beans... They are good tho!
Old 04-07-07, 02:04 AM
Stealth Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Double Down
If you want good pizza and you're going to be at Wilshire and Grand, I've got a great place for you right around the corner on 6th Street:

Lamonica's New York Pizza
518 W 6th St.
Los Angeles, CA 90014
(213) 614-1100

Fantastic pizza, and reasonably priced.

There's 2 or 3 other pizza places in this general area (all within walking distance from Wilshire/Grand), but none of them even come close to Lamonica's.
That's because they SHIP THE DOUGH from New York. And yes, their pizza tastes just like NY pizza. Not the best NY pizza, but the average NY pizza which, in my book, gets
Old 04-07-07, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by namja
That's because they SHIP THE DOUGH from New York. And yes, their pizza tastes just like NY pizza. Not the best NY pizza, but the average NY pizza which, in my book, gets
Oh god, how pretentious (not you, Lamonica). I can make dough that rivals NY dough any day of the week.

Besides, without the proper oven and prep, even NY style dough will be wasted.
Old 04-07-07, 05:37 PM
Stealth Moderator

Originally Posted by Shazam
Oh god, how pretentious (not you, Lamonica). I can make dough that rivals NY dough any day of the week.

Besides, without the proper oven and prep, even NY style dough will be wasted.
Actually, you can't make NY pizza in California or anywhere else far from NYC. Everyone says that it's because of the water. To make NY pizza, you need NY tap water.

Lamonica's used to ship just the water from NYC to LA, but evidently it's easier to ship the dough than to ship water.
Old 04-07-07, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Actually, you can't make NY pizza in California or anywhere else far from NYC. Everyone says that it's because of the water. To make NY pizza, you need NY tap water.
QFT
Old 04-07-07, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree, everyone does say that.
Old 04-07-07, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Lamonica's used to ship just the water from NYC to LA, but evidently it's easier to ship the dough than to ship water.
Well I have to totally disagree. Making dough is not a black art. It's actually straightforward - especially pizza dough.
Old 04-07-07, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't think you understand pizza. Pizza dough is as different as curry recipes and has many different tastes and textures.
Old 04-07-07, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
I don't think you understand pizza. Pizza dough is as different as curry recipes and has many different tastes and textures.
Please. I understand pizza. And yes, I understand NY pizza. And yes, I can make all sorts of pizza dough.

The biggest problem with making any kind of dough is that people and places are stupid and measure flour by volume instead of weight. Considering the very different humidity levels in places like LA and NY, it's no wonder the same recipe creates a vastly different dough.

The other big problems are the protein level and grind of the flour. Especially with american flour it is usually a bit too soft - but again, it's so brand specific that it's a process of trial and error.

The reason NY pizza is so good and different is because they give a fuck over there, and actually care about things like tomato species, and preparation is taken very seriously.
Old 04-08-07, 04:57 PM
Stealth Moderator

The reason NY pizza is so good and different is because they give a fuck over there, and actually care about things like tomato species, and preparation is taken very seriously.
Um ... no.

Some of these guys that "give a fuck" in NYC went to LA to make the same pizza. They couldn't. They used identical ingredients, identical oven, identical everything ... except they used LA water. They could not get the pizza to taste anything similar to the pizzas that they used to make in NYC.

Many pizza makers have tried making NY pizza elsewhere (without using NYC water) with zero success.
Old 04-09-07, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Um ... no.

Some of these guys that "give a fuck" in NYC went to LA to make the same pizza. They couldn't. They used identical ingredients, identical oven, identical everything ... except they used LA water. They could not get the pizza to taste anything similar to the pizzas that they used to make in NYC.

Many pizza makers have tried making NY pizza elsewhere (without using NYC water) with zero success.
I was going to bring "them" up but I was not sure if they existed anymore or what their name was. But I do remember a story on why they could never reproduce the same pizza. They finally figured it out. However at the time they were shipping the water.
Old 04-09-07, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mrpayroll
And hey FunkDaddy J, if you're 'emeritus', how come I've never seen you in The Other?

Chris
I'm humbled to hold that honorary DVD reviewer title. I was a reviewer a while back. Anyway, I'm in Other every now and then. Actually, more often, I lurk in Book Talk.

If only there were a Pizza Talk.

Thanks for all the suggestions earlier in the thread, before it became a LA/NY debate.
Old 04-09-07, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Um ... no.

LOL. You're kidding me, right? There are sooooo many websites on the internet with long winded pretentious diatribes of how to recreate NY-style dough, with just a little bit more than zero success.

Geez, go chowhound.com and get schooled. Or something.
Old 04-09-07, 02:01 PM
Stealth Moderator

Originally Posted by Flashback
I was going to bring "them" up but I was not sure if they existed anymore or what their name was. But I do remember a story on why they could never reproduce the same pizza. They finally figured it out. However at the time they were shipping the water.
Yeah, actually, THAT is what they finally figured out ... that they need to ship the water, or the dough.

LOL. You're kidding me, right? There are sooooo many websites on the internet with long winded pretentious diatribes of how to recreate NY-style dough, with just a little bit more than zero success.

You can recreate NY-style dough elsewhere, but I can guarantee you that it will not taste the same. If you think they taste the same, then you probably also think that Coke tastes the same as Pepsi, or that McDonald's fries tastes the same as Burger King fries.
Old 04-09-07, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
You can try out LA's pizza cuisine at any mall...

Old 04-09-07, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Please. I understand pizza. And yes, I understand NY pizza. And yes, I can make all sorts of pizza dough.

The biggest problem with making any kind of dough is that people and places are stupid and measure flour by volume instead of weight. Considering the very different humidity levels in places like LA and NY, it's no wonder the same recipe creates a vastly different dough.

The other big problems are the protein level and grind of the flour. Especially with american flour it is usually a bit too soft - but again, it's so brand specific that it's a process of trial and error.

But you seem to contradict yourself a little. Water is an ingredient. You're implying water type doesn't matter. There many different types of water, unique in each city of the US, and even unique in each parts of a city.

That's what I was disagreeing with you about. Water certainly does make a difference in the dough.
Old 04-09-07, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Actually if you want the best pizza go to New Haven. But you knew that already, and personally Chicago's blow but you do know that Chicago was known for thin before deep dish.

Last edited by Flashback; 04-09-07 at 10:21 PM.
Old 04-24-07, 04:50 PM

I'll actually be staying in Orange County for a few days, too, and I just got a recommendation for "New York Upper Crust Pizza" at the Irvine Spectrum. Anyone tried it? Any other pizza recommendations in the OC area?
Old 04-24-07, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you are going to be in Irvine for a while you can try First Class Pizza on Sand Canyon and Irvine Center. It's not New York style but the crust is good and they have tons of toppings to choose from.
Old 06-26-07, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by mrpayroll
Casa Bianca pizza in Eagle Rock on Colorado Blvd.
So, I took the trip, and Casa Bianca was easily the best pizza I had. It was the clear winner. Thanks for the tip! I mean--delicious! My brother-in-law and I had a sausage pie, and it was simply a glorious digestive experience. Fantastic texture to the crust, great tangy, spicy sauce. Mmmm. It was a Wednesday night, and no wait for seating, although the pie took quite a while to get to the table. Loved the atmosphere--small, crowded place, celebrity pics all over the walls, red booths, wooden tables, checkered tablecloths, old-time cash register, friendly staff.

I was underwhelmed by Lamonica's, which I believe has been renamed something generic like New York's Famous Pizza or somesuch. (The old name was still visible on the walls inside.) The pizza came out under-warmed, and the sauce just didn't do it for me.

El Cholo was great Mexican, and the $10 Cadillac Margarita was exquisite. (For that price, it better have been!)

Finally, First Class Pizza in Irvine was just okay. But then, Casa Bianca had probably spoiled my taste buds for any pizza that followed.

Thanks again for the tips.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.